Author Topic: Aluminum twin carb cylinder head question  (Read 712 times)

Offline Brianmcilvenny

• Active
Aluminum twin carb cylinder head question
« on: 12.08. 2015 09:29 »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have a couple questions about my 59 super rocket that you guys might have some answers to.
It's a U.S. Spec 59 super rocket.
I have owned it for about 8 years and I think it's time to let it go to move on to another project.
It has a few pretty unique pieces on it an I'm not. Sure how much value it adds.
The bike is restored and in very good condition. I can find very little information about it but it has an aluminum true twin carb head that from what I understand was used on the Daytona race bikes.
Period original Akront deep wall aluminum wheels.
Magneto driven Tacometer.
Any idea how much value that adds over a stock super rocket?
Thanks in advance for your help

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Aluminum twin carb cylinder head question
« Reply #1 on: 12.08. 2015 21:09 »
G'day Brian.  *welcome*
How long is a piece of string?
Most think along the line that value is added the more original a bike is. So to the average punter the bike is worth less.
On the other hand people like me would go "that's tasty" and pay a bit more. A twin carb head with manifold/s is fetching $800 - $1K AU. I prefer the look of the older type tacho drive, add another $300. Then the minus side = seat, rear shocks (just what I can see from photo) = $400. So price down here would range from $8 to $12K AU. There are bikes for sale asking more but their STILL for sale!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brianmcilvenny

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 13.08. 2015 07:27 »
thank you for your input Muskrat! What you said makes sense to me. I have the original seat and shocks my plan was to put them back one when posting it for sale.
Maybe I'm better off putting a single carb alloy head on the bike and sell it like that?
I have seen a true twin carb aluminum head sell for stupid money a few years back.
I'm the type that likes a bike to remain mostly stock. Definitely in the drivetrain and electrical systems department, but this bike with its twin carbs and polished manifolds looks bueatiful when parked :)
I guess I have a few things to think about.
Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 13.08. 2015 10:25 »
G'day Brian.
That'll cost you a few more photo's of her. *smile* We like to look  *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brianmcilvenny

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 13.08. 2015 15:11 »
Haha, ok I'll see what I have. I'm away from home for a week so let's see what's save on the phone  :)
Here's one , first start after winter.