Author Topic: Lucas MCR2 Voltage regulators  (Read 4922 times)

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
Lucas MCR2 Voltage regulators
« on: 30.12. 2015 15:24 »
Hello  everybody,  Is there any way of testing an Lucas MCR2 Voltage Regulator on the bench. I'm trying to make my mind up whether to go 12 Volt or not.  I have two regulators neither have been used for at least 35 years. I would have thought that as long as they had electrical conductivity it would be just a matter of adjustment once I get the engine running. 

Any ideas please.

Regards
Pete

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Lucas MCR2 Voltage regulators
« Reply #1 on: 30.12. 2015 17:57 »
Once upon a time, my real-life setup.
Fine for adjusting cutout, voltage etc. Used some light bulbs to drain\test battery\charging.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.12. 2015 20:21 »
Pete,
                The first things to do are to measure the resistances.
Measure between "D" & "F". You should have something close to 0. Press down the regulator armature and you should get over 35 ohms.
Measure between "D" & "A". Should be open circuit. Press down cut-out armature and should be close to 0.
Read the service sheet and do all of the adjustments with feeler gauges.
Driving a generator with a drill and adjusting as per a10gf is the way to go.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 31.12. 2015 03:31 »
A lot lot lot earier to adjust off the bike thn on the bike, unless you have the DT's and can get them in sync with the motor vibrations
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 31.12. 2015 22:55 »
A lot lot lot earier to adjust off the bike thn on the bike, unless you have the DT's and can get them in sync with the motor vibrations

*eek*   You have a early start to New Year celebrations Trev?    *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 01.01. 2016 05:48 »
Have you ever seen me at the ALL British with a drink in hand ?
Usually the pile of empty red bottles is too high.!!

And actully went to bed last night at 9pm when I got back from working on Shanes shed
Worked on it all day todayy but we should be finished tomorrow.

I could never get the M20 reg to work so took it over to Scotty to look at.
Liked his set up and looking at doing something similar.
For the Dynamo I was using ( wrong for both bike & regulator ) there was a 1/4 turn total adjustment from not working at all and melting the solder.
No chance of doing that with the box under the seat bouncing around.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 01.01. 2016 14:56 »
Hello, Thank you who replied, I shall do As Trevinoz suggests.  If the regulators I have will work and only need to be adjusted I think I will stay with 6 Volt.  If I have to go to the expense of buying a new regulator I shall probably got to 12 Volt.  I'm not going to be riding at night so the better light are not an issue it was only the availability of bulbs etc.

Thanks once again and have a Happy New Year. I will let you know the results I get.

Regards
Pete

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 02.01. 2016 15:17 »
Hello, as I said in my original post I have two MCR 2 regulators with different numbers and years of manufacture.  I have tested them both as suggested by Trevinoz with the following results.
 Number 37097E                FD  0.2 ohms Pressed down 35.2 ohms
    Year 1963                       FA   Open      Pressed down  0.7 ohms

Number 37144A                 FD 4.30 ohms Pressed 50.10 ohms
   Year 1952                        FA  Open        Pressed down 0.80 ohms

I have attached a photo of them, the one on the left is 37097E

As it seems that at least one complies with the figures provided by Trevinoz I think i will stay with 6 Volt.

I will also rig up something to set it on the bench as advised by BSA-54A10.

Thanks once again
Pete

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.01. 2016 21:11 »
Just as well, Pete, the 37144 is for a 45W generator.
Just one more thing to test before you get into it, momentarily apply a 12V supply between "D" & "E" and ensure that both armatures operate. Don't take too long about it!

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.01. 2016 22:01 »
Also, when you set the regulator, use the RB107/8 settings as this is what your regulator's mechanism is.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 03.01. 2016 08:28 »
Hello, Thank you who replied, I shall do As Trevinoz suggests.  If the regulators I have will work and only need to be adjusted I think I will stay with 6 Volt.  If I have to go to the expense of buying a new regulator I shall probably got to 12 Volt.  I'm not going to be riding at night so the better light are not an issue it was only the availability of bulbs etc.

Thanks once again and have a Happy New Year. I will let you know the results I get.

Regards
Pete

Been a long while sice I have been to Scottys ( cause he does a good job ) but from memory he had an endless flat belt that he placed around the outside of the chuck.
The dynamo was clamped to the tool post holder and the saddle run foreward till the slide was past the end of the chuck then the belt got slipped over the armature and he backed out the slide till the belt was just tight enough not to slip.
Quite a simple and eligant way to set things up I thought at the time.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 03.01. 2016 15:15 »
Hello Trevinoz, Thank you for your info, I am assuming that the 37097E is correct for a 60W generator.  I cleaned the regulator and set the mechanical settings in accordance with a Lucas Servicing Testing Procedures publication No. T.P.C./SB.1007A  Reprinted December 1964. I found it in the bottom of an old tool box, I’ve had for years.  It covers models amongst others MCR2, RB107 & RB 108.
 As a result the resistance for FD has increased to 45 ohms FA remained the same, I have flashed 12 volts across FD and both armatures operated (vibrated), I am assuming that this is good?
 I am however a little confused regarding the numbering. You said to set the regulator as for an RB 107/8, is this a subset for MCR2 or a different model altogether?   The confusing thing is MCR 2 on the case along with 37097E.
The only MCR 2 replicas seem to be advertised.

Regards
Pete

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.01. 2016 21:28 »
Sorry to confuse you, Pete. Your regulator is an MCR2 but the late production model used the same mechanism as the RB107.
The FD resistance should only be high when the armature is pressed down. It should be as close to zero as possible in the rest position, if not the generator will not start to operate.
I gather that you flashed 12V across DE, not DF. It is good that both armatures reacted.
Your other regulator is the original MCR2 type but is for a 45W generator as I said, the difference being in the number of turns of heavy conductor on the regulator bobbin.
7 turns for 45W, 5 turns for 60W.

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 04.01. 2016 18:14 »
Hello,  Thanks for the clarification, I have had the bike for nigh on  50 years. It was virtually impossible to get any information in those days so it was a case of trial and error without to much concern about the consequences, the ignorance of youth! The last time I rode it was in 1987 and not much then. 18 months ago I decided to rebuild it, with a lot more knowledge, or access to it, and a little bit more money. I have just ordered a kit to rebuild the dynamo the fun will come sett the regulator, I think I will take the advice given and make up some sort of rig to set it up.

Thanks once again
Regards
Pete

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.01. 2016 19:24 »

Yo Pete, I bought an aftermarket one which is as Trev says; kinda seems to be a bit of a 'hybrid'. I made up a set of extension jumpers so I can take the reg off the bike and connect Volt meter and adjust as per instructions; just need to do it in bursts until I rig a air blower...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia