Author Topic: Just visiting  (Read 1746 times)

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
Just visiting
« on: 04.01. 2016 16:22 »
Well it looks like I am going to visit New Zealand. My daughter currently in Cairns says I am allowed to visit her for 3/4 weeks starting the end of February (when she arrives in Auckland). She is planning to hire a camper van. Any recommendations from any locals about anything greatly appreciated  *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Just visiting
« Reply #1 on: 04.01. 2016 19:09 »
Smart girl, your daughter. Meeting you in the 2nd best country in the world. If you came here she'd never get rid of you.  *whistle*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #2 on: 04.01. 2016 21:43 »
Rising to the bait slightly I think that I live in the best country in the world (givers of the BSA)  *fight*. Lots of places within a few hindered miles that I have not seen yet and some of them are meant to be amazing. However my daughter has loved Australia and has sent some fantastic pictures home. She has decided not the see the big red rock and is fly to Adelaide then doing the Great Ocean Road before return to Sydney and visiting some of that area.
However I have always liked travelling and am already planning things to do and see whilst in New Zealand
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 05.01. 2016 01:37 »
Angas, I'm told the lambs are very cuddly over there across the dtch.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 05.01. 2016 02:12 »
Angus,
Thankfully you've wisely decided upon visiting a civilised country with lots of greenery, hills, bendy roads (no motorways to speak of) and sandy beaches in the peak of our short summer  *yeah* Good timing.
A place free of shark attacks, poisonous spiders and snakes, that rarely has a bush fire, although we do have a lot of unwanted possums that came across from a prison colony populated by you Brits  *whistle*.
Feel free to PM me with dates and I'll see what I can dig up as a suggested itinerary.
Depends how much driving you fancy doing. The bay of islands and far north as well as Coromandel, Rotorua and other places not too far from Auckland.
You'd be welcome to visit if you pass Warkworth (about an hour north of the Auckland Airport)
We also have some very brilliant micro breweries so its a great country to drink decent beer and we don't chill the glasses.
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 05.01. 2016 02:15 »
I suspect your daughter will spend the visit complaining how cold it is in NZ compared to Cairns
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 05.01. 2016 04:47 »
hi guys,.. why do aussies always `Bleat' on about Kiwis and sheep? you guys used to have more than anybody, get over it,cheers     
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #7 on: 05.01. 2016 06:19 »
Quote from The Guardian.
"New Zealand has long been the butt of sheep jokes but latest figures show the nation’s woolly flock has slumped to its lowest number since World War II.
 The latest national livestock survey showed flock numbers had dropped by 3.2% to 29.6 million, but sheep still outnumber people six to one.
 Sheep numbers have been on a downward slide since 1982 where they had peaked at 70.3m. Sheep farmers switched to dairy farming en-masse and by 1987 it had overtaken conventional sheep farming which until then had been the backbone of the New Zealand economy."

Just an age old thing between Aussies and Kiwi's
So now gum boot manufacturers have invested in step ladders.
Sorry Angus but Kiwipom asked for it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 05.01. 2016 06:33 »
Angus,

I suppose your daughter might be described as a millennial, but you don't have to be that young to have enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Depending on how into it she was, seeing some of the countryside where it was shot might be an attraction. I really know almost nothing about NZ but I assume beaches will be on the agenda.

Have a great time.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #9 on: 05.01. 2016 07:10 »
"Rising to the bait slightly I think that I live in the best country in the world"

Isn't there a quote that goes something like... I won first prize in the lottery of life, I was born an Englishman?

But the opportunity to visit NZ, or Aus, sounds too good to miss. I hope you enjoy the trip.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 05.01. 2016 07:22 »
Cor, that got a coupl'a bites eh?! Hee, hee... Har har...
Yes, but it's not JUST about the money is it? Say what you like, you just can't deny that the special relationship you kiwis have with our winsome, wooly mates is something very special. Don't back away from it... be full of PRIDE!
Seriously, my 'new best friend' is a kiwi, and what's more he's an actual QME, -Qualified Motorcycle Engineer, (yup, he's got a ticket to prove it too, or so he says)... bluddy'ell!!! Do they actually exist outside Peter Stevens Ripoff M/C Co ?!)
Is that why Jacko is my 'new best friend' I wonder?
Anyway. Jacko is a bit partial to a bit of tender lamb (along with the pong of 2-stroke pre noon), and who can blame him for that. I'm rather inclined towards a serve of tender lamb loins also, I mean who could resist those moist medium-rare juices? The finest loins I ever encountered belonged to a particularly svelte, athletic kiwi (who's name has escaped me)  who had emigrated from Hull (of all places!) Long and lusciously lithe it was. Anyway...
Well. As for Aussie jumbucks? -Hmmm, they're not so tender or cuddly, we tend to send 'em overseas by the x k thousands in disgusting inhumane ships for a serve of inhumane death in eastern moslem states.
More fool us. (What tossers we are!)

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 05.01. 2016 08:38 »
hi guys, yeah Musky (So now gum boot manufacturers have invested in step ladders) we import `wellies`from China now just like you guys.
Also when Aus. had 180million sheep they used to label it NZ product so they could sell it overseas, cheers

NewZealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 05.01. 2016 08:41 »
Hi guys, Terry,(I won first prize in the lottery of life, I was born an Englishman) i believe that quote was by one of our famous `Royalty ' whilst having a couple of Snifters in the morning room and not intended for the rank and file.
...Although not a born and bred Kiwi i am from Canterbury the 'original` one and do like this part of the world. I have been to Aus. many times and like it very much but i believe it is best to live in NZ and holiday in Aus., just my opinion, cheers

NewZealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 05.01. 2016 08:43 »
hi guys, have another beer Jools you might make more sense.
You Aussies love to have ago at Kiwis because there is a small population here compared to `sheep '. Sometimes a small population is very good. My own opinion as to the small population is that:- NZ was only ever a food producing country for Britain and needed only a small service industry for the agricultural and farming communities hence the low emigration numbers called for by the mother land. NZ did not need more people just more 'Sheep', cheers,     

NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #14 on: 05.01. 2016 08:53 »
 *fight* *sick* *beer*
NZ is the only place left to visit on my bucket list.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7