Author Topic: side stand warning light  (Read 3189 times)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
Re: side stand warning light
« Reply #15 on: 17.01. 2016 17:28 »
i wonder why all new bikes have to have them ??
infest your bike with interlocks where did that come from

At a quick guess- because of some stupid regulation in California?

Maybe you haven't heard how much trouble those switches cause.

All I'm doing is stating my opinion. I'm not particularly trying to persuade you of anything. Feel free to have some other opinion and infest your bike with interlocks.
[/quote]

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 17.01. 2016 17:55 »
At a quick guess- because of some stupid regulation in California?

Well, I'm from California, so I understand what TT is talking about but curious how TT knows.

I am pretty sure I am not being serious by showing the following option, but it would work with no ill effects.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 17.01. 2016 18:07 »
Well, I'm from California, so I understand what TT is talking about but curious how TT knows.

can't speak for TT but I've visited California (bus tour), courier informed us East coast Americans call Californians - Flakies - not sure of the spelling  but kind of self explanatory, however I liked the ones we met , polite and courteous 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 17.01. 2016 19:52 »
Maybe some sort of optical devices coupled to an onboard computer could be used?............ Before setting off, the computer could be programmed to point the optical devices at the sidestand and proceed from there.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 17.01. 2016 20:07 »
Yes, there are infinite Rube Goldberg possibilities.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #20 on: 17.01. 2016 22:12 »
Something to be said for a sidestand with its spring so disposed that it automatically retracts when weight is taken off (AMC quirk, maybe others).  Plenty to be said against too, as in the hassle of  keeping them firmly down while you get off the thing. But, on balance (if you can retain it!) not a bad thing. Better than extra wires I'd have thought, and no hint of Nanny nagging.

Bill

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 17.01. 2016 22:43 »
I've visited California (bus tour), courier informed us East coast Americans call Californians - Flakies - not sure of the spelling  but kind of self explanatory, however I liked the ones we met , polite and courteous

About ten years ago my wife and I spent a month touring California, (in a car). I second the feelings about the Californians we met; very friendly people. We particularly enjoyed San Francisco.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 17.01. 2016 23:30 »
Well, I hope the friendly quotient didn't go up just because I left.

Richard L.

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #23 on: 18.01. 2016 00:13 »
Being an Ex Pat and living in So California for over 35 years, and write a newsletter for the BSAOCSC called "The Piled Arms", I can tell you with experience what we do here.
1st check the side stand spring to see if it's in good serviceable use,
then check the bolt going through the prop stand to see if a it's in a serviceable condition and be tight enough to not make the stand sloppy.
Then, as you pull away, a quick glance down to your left side to check if the side stand is fully retracted, and "Bob's yer Uncle", no further problems.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #24 on: 18.01. 2016 00:47 »
Went on a club ride yesterday. As I moved off I heard a few "Hay Musky"s. Yep she was down and only a few yards from a "left turn Clive".
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #25 on: 18.01. 2016 01:02 »
Muksrat, I mean't my comment as "tongue in cheek" as it were. Of course there are all sorts of mods we can make to these old bikes to make them "safer".
But I think I'd put disc brakes, wider wheels, turn signals, better suspension and numerous other modern safer improvements before I'd consider a prop stand position kill switch. After all, isn't that why we ride these old uncomplicated bikes.
All the best mate, love your "Exhaust Notes" thanks
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #26 on: 18.01. 2016 01:16 »
Yesterdays forgetfulness was on the 1100 honda. It has a rubber thing that flops down when the weight is taken off the stand. This will hit the road first and fling the stand up. Still gives you a bit of a shake.
I like the design of the HD stands. When their down and the weight is on they lock so if the bike rolls forward the stand stays put.
The only way to make my bikes safer is to not let me on them!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #27 on: 18.01. 2016 01:24 »
Point Well Taken Muskrat.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #28 on: 18.01. 2016 03:11 »
I managed to miss much of this thread but as an ex owner of modern bikes with no main stand, a sidestand kill switch was the first thing I'd disconnect so I could warm the bike up on the sidestand or likewise stop and get off without the motor stopping.

The best wiring is no wiring  *whistle*
My B33 has working electrics for the time it takes to get its warrant of fitness every 6 months and then the battery goes back in another bike. I rely on hand signals for everything between those dates  *whistle* including the horn.

Now talking of California (lovely people I'm sure) I read recently the emissions controls were the primary reason the BSA group designed the OIF frames which have a proper airbox. A lot of people have criticized the group for investing in those frames when the engines were getting long in the tooth but the short answer is they had to for the American market.
And then there's the famous dove grey colour which was to not even remotely meet   *bash* the american request for silver frames for '71

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #29 on: 18.01. 2016 04:33 »
It must be that a lot more tree hugers live in California as they have the strictest emission laws. Lots of labels have "not for use in California".
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7