Author Topic: 1957 A10 BSA Timing help  (Read 761 times)

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
1957 A10 BSA Timing help
« on: 12.05. 2016 18:20 »
Is there a procedure specific to pilling the Mag and then re-timing it ? Is all the timing besides point gap , done on the right side with the gears and chain?  Is a timing light used anywhere ?  Do you set the timing running or cold . I have looked online but haven't seen anything yet ? Any help would be appreciated . 

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
Re: 1957 A10 BSA Timing help
« Reply #2 on: 12.05. 2016 20:55 »
Thanks !!!!!
One more question. If I want a oil pressure gauge , where would the best place to be to tap into oil pressure ?
Thanks again for the previous info!!
Chad

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 12.05. 2016 21:17 »
I'm assuming the hole in my rocker cover is a breather hole and I'm missing something

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2016 21:56 »
Pressure gauge; http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=6973.0
Hole in rocker box...??! Picture please... Something is not as it should be I think *conf2*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.05. 2016 23:04 »
Ya know, not everybody is chatty, and that's fine, but around here we usually at least say "Hello" and "Welcome" to new members and hope for a bit of introduction. So, Chad, "hello" and "welcome" to the forum.   *welcome*  If you get a chance and feel like letting us in on it, maybe tell us about where you are located, how you got into bikes, how you came to be an A10 owner, etc. No life story required or expected (but feel free tell as much as makes you happy). Then, pictures of your bike in all states of repair are always enjoyed. Oh, and don't forget to include your bank account number and mother's maiden name  ;) >:D

Regarding your questions, if you haven't gotten the bike timed it may be a bit premature to worry about an oil pressure gauge. We have about 800 members on the forum and I would be surprised if 20 of them have oil pressure gauges.

I suppose you could set the timing when the bike is hot or cold, but cold is much more comfortable. You don't need to use a timing light to time the bike the way BSA intended owners to do it.  You don't need to pull the mag from the bike. You do need to take off the right-side timing cover and loosen the magneto drive gear. You will eventually learn to tighten that gear in a way that doesn't change the timing you just worked so hard to set.

If, after reading the BSAwiki article, you still have questions, any number of folks here will be pleased to help (even physically in person, I'd venture, if you live close enough).

Richard L.

Offline 427Thunderbolt

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 13.05. 2016 22:32 »
There, I introduced myself in the newby section! ha