Author Topic: Ebay seller plugging up the works  (Read 949 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Ebay seller plugging up the works
« on: 17.06. 2016 13:21 »
 I always look at Ebay ads for the off chance something I need pops up.

In the last year I have seen more and more and more ads by the seller MB Transits, hawking the exact same, way over priced (IMO) stuff again and again. I dont believe he sells much, for the simple fact he is 2 to 3 times higher on price than anyone else. Add in his ridiculous shipping charges (at least to the states) and its got to be a no sell situation.

But his adds are everywhere now. And the bad thing is people who find parts in the shed are starting to base their prices off what this guy is asking. so their stuff does not sell either over here.

E Bay ads are getting plugged up with stuff nobody in their right mind would buy at those prices. Two used, not polished rocker box covers for $54.00 plus $34.00 in shipping?

An ad right below by another guy has one for $3.00 and $6.00 shipping, and its been there for weeks.

Whats MB transits plan of attack? To buy bikes, strip them down and never sell any parts? Maybe he is a hoarder or something, I just dont know.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Ebay seller plugging up the works
« Reply #1 on: 17.06. 2016 13:40 »
From what I have seen of this company he buys bikes then strips them down and sells the parts he has been doing this for quite awhile now, when he first started his prices were always high but not to high but now his prices are just ridiculous but if people are willing to pay those prices then he is going to continue. If he can't sell at those inflated prices then he will have to reduce them or be left with all that stock. The answer is simple do not buy go elsewhere he is not doing anything illegal but I find it sad that he is dismantling perfectly good bikes but he obviously gets more money doing what he does and that is his sole concern.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.06. 2016 14:56 »
Lee,

I agree with you regarding the silly prices MB Transits is asking. It hadn't occured to me that he might be swinging the entire market. I thought of him as an anomoly. Also, I seem to recall (I'll look again after I post this) that his parts appear to be in comparatively good condition, but probably not justifying the way-over-market pricing.  By the way, MB Transits is a member here who's posts have been almost entirely related to his business interests. That's not againt our rules as far as I know. In one post he sought to explain and justify his business. Here it is:

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=6466.msg44732#msg44732

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline polly

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 17.06. 2016 16:30 »
I just last week got a clyd head off the guy .

It arrived on time [post free] and was exactly as advertised and well packed.

It was about the middle of the range of prices I had seen.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.06. 2016 16:50 »
I suppose that was the iron head he had for sale. In fairness to MB, the price seems reasonable, particularly if you live in the UK. If you live in the US (or other) is when it seems to become crazy, but I haven't checked the real rates.

Richard L.

Edit: Just checked Royal Mail for shipping 8 kg to USA (based on my iron head) without delivery confirmation and it is about 90 GBP. So, can't fault MB for excessive shipping costs. Maybe there is a cheaper way, like travel to the UK.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline polly

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.06. 2016 17:12 »
yes it was Richard.

There were to be fair better deals to be had in the states but the real cost [the shipping] priced me out

Offline polly

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.06. 2016 17:23 »
As an example I was watching item 121636520806 .a cheap price only 35 bucks however 112.75 to ship

Offline polly

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 17.06. 2016 17:33 »
I think there is a cheaper way if your a collective.....If enough people wanted stuff....It would take one person here willing to collect and re-box .

Then send only one box the slow route.Then some one at the other end willing to reship .

Prob. is every body needs parts like yesterday

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.06. 2016 21:22 »
Hi All,
Time to find alternatives to Royal Mail *????*
I have couriered A10 Bottom ends from Ireland to UK for about €35, GLS couriers collect from my home and deliver to Uk in 48 hours or so
I sent a complete J.A.P 350 engine to Spain for around €55 with them

Here in Ireland, theres a service called "Parcel Motel" , This gets around the ridiculous UK overseas postal rates by having a depot in Northern Ireland ( counted as UK for post) they then deliver to automated depots
in the South local to the buyer... costs €4 per parcel

If I buy from USA I try and get the parts sent USPS, which seems good value
Some eBay sellers seem to want to be paid for going to the courier or PO ???

An alternative to getting stuff sent directly from USA to Europe is to get it sent to a friend or relatiion in USA
They can then usually send it as a "gift" or/and get a better rate to send to Europe

Iron A10 heads were worth nothing a couple of years ago ! I sold one complete with valves and hardware for £15 at Stafford a couple of years ago  *eek*

On MB selling stuff, he used to auction the parts but now has "buy it now"  ???

What annoys me is the mis descriptions on the parts, as suitable for a lot of different (wrong) models
This clogs up the search function for the likes of a "Gold Star" search  *angry* *angry* *angry*
Of course he is not alone in this practice *razz*

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.06. 2016 21:55 »
Yes, he currently has a frame for sale adverstised for RGS (among others), but no hole for the rod-pull brake pedal spindle.

Richard L.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.06. 2016 22:09 »
Is the expensive freight to the US problem caused by the high cost US couriers that deliver the parcel within the US?

In NZ the cost of shipping FROM the US is well known to be very high, so high that NZ Post have set up a depot in the US for us kiwis to send our parcels there, often using free delivery, then we pay NZ post to ship the parcel to NZ, they will bundle several parcels together if you ask as well.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife)

Online Kickaha

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #11 on: 17.06. 2016 23:08 »
In NZ the cost of shipping FROM the US is well known to be very high, so high that NZ Post have set up a depot in the US for us kiwis to send our parcels there, often using free delivery, then we pay NZ post to ship the parcel to NZ, they will bundle several parcels together if you ask as well.

I use that a bit as well as the one in the UK, works quite well, I normally try and find stuff that is free shipping in the USA to get to the depot, it can make a huge difference
1955 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 18.06. 2016 01:18 »
MB's practices have been discussed before. Price aside, one stripped A10/7 may keep many more on the road.
Australia Post has a similar thing in the US called Shop Mate. https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/our-services/how-shopmate-works
I haven't used it yet but have heard good reports.
A while back I needed an XT500 part from the US but the dealer only shipped in the US. A kind forum member in the US got it for me and posted it on. I'm sure if asked nicely many other forum members would do the same, I would.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.06. 2016 02:38 »
Is the expensive freight to the US problem caused by the high cost US couriers that deliver the parcel within the US?

Actually, shipping here from US address to US address is quite reasonable. But it seems any time a package has to cross a border, 4x is automatically added. At least. *sad2*
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 18.06. 2016 04:26 »
hi guys, Kickaha with reference to `NZ Post` set up, is G.S.T. charged on the goods,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand