Author Topic: Oil pump  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Oil pump
« on: 26.05. 2009 17:08 »
I have finally fired up the A10 after 3 years building from bits. The sound of it made it all worth while.  I watched the top of the oil tank as the engine ran and the return oil spluttered through to eventually become a continuous stream. The level dropped so I topped it up. I then notoiced oil being forced through the timing side outer cover joint. I removed the cover and cleaned away the oil and started the engine with the cover removed. Oil immediately covered the oil pump. When I built the engine I stripped and cleaned the pump, I fitted a new joint gasket and tightened the screws, but did not over tighten. Any thoughts on this before I start dismantling.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Oil pump
« Reply #1 on: 26.05. 2009 17:53 »
Groily, did you put the fiber washer/gasket spacer between the pump and the case at the front?  This is often forgotten but is critical in getting the oil pump to seal.  Otherwise, did you take the pump apart and flatten the joint faces and put a thin smear of sealant on them? 

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

Cheers, hope you find the issue soon.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 31.05. 2009 15:10 »
I have sealed the pump and I have the fibre washer in place, but still a lot of oil comming from the pump. I have built the machine from bits, so I do not know the history. When I remove the pump and look at the four drillings into the crankcase, the lower right hand hole is only about 15mm deep and is then blank. Is this correct. does anyone have any onfo on the crankcase drillings from the oil pump.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.05. 2009 15:35 »

the lower right hand hole is only about 15mm deep and is then blank.

Hi Goldie
one of the drillings has a non return vavle in it comprising a ball and spring, what you see will likely be the ball, get something like a cotton bud and cut off the wool from one end, then use to see if the ball can be pushed off it's seat.
The non return valve is only accessable from inside the crankcase.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 31.05. 2009 20:02 »
I have finally fired up the A10 after 3 years building from bits. The sound of it made it all worth while.
Congrats !

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 06.06. 2009 17:11 »
I have stripped the pump again and sealed it. The hole drillings seem ok and the non return valve can be pushed open. I still have oil comming from the pump. If I fit the outer timing cover, it runs ok, but when I start up there is a continuous stream of oil at the tank return. After about 1 minute this reduces to an accasional splutter. Even if the revs are increased. What flow of oil would you expect to see. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2009 17:28 »
when I start up there is a continuous stream of oil at the tank return. After about 1 minute this reduces to an accasional splutter. Even if the revs are increased.

I dont think you need worry Goldy, this is exactly what I see with my three A seris bikes! I think it's safe to say you can now screw on the oil cap and go for a long ride.  *yeah*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2009 19:35 »
There is no oil seal between the timing side bush and the oil pump / worm drive, if you run it without the outer cover oil will be blown out of the bush and cover the oil pump.

When the cover is fitted, the oil pump space within the covers fills with oil, - once its full it obviously doesn't fill any more and the oil goes where it should !

Congrats on your successful restoration let us know how you get on.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Richard

« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2009 20:34 »
the flow of oil back to the tank will be in a broken flow at times due to the scavange side of the pump operating faster than the supply side so what you are seeing is normal.
Happy riding
richard

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2009 21:04 »
go for a ride mate and enjoy, it all sounds normal to me
my engine does the same and its had a profesional full
rebuild on it

dave

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 06.06. 2009 21:35 »
G
the flow of oil back to the tank will be in a broken flow at times due to the scavange side of the pump operating faster than the supply side so what you are seeing is normal.
Happy riding
richard
oldy,

Yes, but if you are waiting more than 5 or 10 seconds with no flow at all, sputtery or otherwise, I think it is a problem. Agreed that the flow will not be a continuous stream, more like, sputter-sputter-flow-sputter-sputter-flow. This is not exactly literal, but I am trying to make the point that it should not  be a real long time between flows. There are folks here much more experienced than I, but, as I've described, I had a sputter-stop-stop-stop-sputter pattern and it turned out to be a bit of dirt in my supply line at the end of the armoured hose just as the oil enters the fitting. I'm thinking of taking a video of my oil return so others can comment. If it is agreed to be correct we should not have to use quite so many words in the future to unravel the facts.

Richard  L.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 06.06. 2009 22:21 »
yes send us a video so we can watch it in action

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 07.06. 2009 03:26 »
I sold the grand mothers back teeth, and bought an SRM oil pump the other day.
I quote from the included instructions:

"We DO NOT recommend the fitting of any obstruction in the oil lines such as filter kits or non return valves! The pump demands more oil from the oil tank and any restriction in the flow will be end in disaster!"

What are they on about? A "will be end in disaster" doesn't sound good. Surely their you beaut squillion dollar oil pump can handle a filter? I admit its a nice shade of blue but have I thrown away the kids inheritance on a prima donna?
cheers

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #13 on: 07.06. 2009 04:20 »
Its much more important that your bike has a nice oil pump than your granny has teeth, well done !!

It would pay to check with SRM just to cover any warranty type issues but I would be fairly sure they mean the inlet line, not the return as regards a in-line filter. Once again I wouldnt use any type of device in the feed line.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 07.06. 2009 15:12 »
hear hear your right dont use eany divice in the oil lines
it might end in tears *sad2*