Author Topic: to recommission not restore  (Read 7657 times)

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: to recommission not restore
« Reply #45 on: 10.04. 2019 21:16 »
yes later cases must have been cast with a bigger trough, on the ss cases I have from 1960 there is no sign of tool work in the drive side and just a touch on the timing side from the inner bush that ends half an inch from the oil feed hole in the trough.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #46 on: 09.06. 2020 03:43 »
have had the wheels rebuilt with some good used rims. Look much better. The original rims were deeply corroded. having some issue loading pics but will try. the new rims are not mint, but not out of keeping and improve safety being sound.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #47 on: 26.06. 2020 14:36 »
My goodness the patina and decals on those tanks is gold. That is a lovely find indeed. Reminds me of my old ES2 barn find though that was a more gone than your RR...still amazing what a tube of Autosol will do though. Changed the oil and rode it for 6 years, didnt miss a beat.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #48 on: 26.08. 2020 23:34 »
finally have enough bits back to reassemble the motor
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 26.08. 2020 23:44 »
now that looks blooming lovely shame about the nuts-------------- JOKE!!!!!!! 

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 26.08. 2020 23:54 »
now that looks blooming lovely shame about the nuts-------------- JOKE!!!!!!!
the scary thing is I have two more twin port heads in the queue for taking in for repair, my rig had a methanol flooding issue which wore out the LH cyl and valves on that side (washed clean by flooding) in one race... so needs a rebuild and the head for the planned A7ss project is going to be a money pit. 

I'm not polishing my nuts  *eek* but they will be cleaned.
New Zealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 27.08. 2020 00:01 »
RR,

May I ask what the cleanup method is on the head? Some form of blasting media, I assume. (Confess to not reading every post before posing this question. Sorry if redundant.)

Richard L.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #52 on: 27.08. 2020 00:11 »
RR,

May I ask what the cleanup method is on the head? Some form of blasting media, I assume. (Confess to not reading every post before posing this question. Sorry if redundant.)

Richard L.
Richard, sorry mate, I dont actually know, the guys who did the head had it cleaned so they could work with it and I didnt ask. But it does have me pondering the other less immaculate bits which will probably remain less immaculate as long as this doesnt stick out to much. I suspect it will blend in fairly promptly and wasnt planning to have other cases polished up, just a bit of autosol.
Tim
New Zealand

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 27.08. 2020 00:17 »
RR I had an ss head inlet tract opened up and gas flowed and fitted with super rocket inlets at the cylinder head shop. very good job but £500 , and it is still waiting for me to get sorted and build the berger project. I have been sorting through some setts of barrels today ready for boring and taking the crank for balancing. I must get moving time fly's

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 27.08. 2020 00:43 »
RR I had an ss head inlet tract opened up and gas flowed and fitted with super rocket inlets at the cylinder head shop. very good job but £500 , and it is still waiting for me to get sorted and build the berger project. I have been sorting through some setts of barrels today ready for boring and taking the crank for balancing. I must get moving time fly's
this original head was just a bit tired but cost a similar amount. It all adds up pretty quick.
Am very conscious I'm not getting any younger with the race projects but hope to have many years of enjoyment from this road one. Time keeps ticking by though! thankfully I do now have a workspace I can develop, work in and very keen to progress this bike. 
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #55 on: 27.08. 2020 04:05 »
G'day RR.
Yum, yum, yum.
I'd guess at soda blast as my head came back the same.
You didn't think of valve stem seals before the guides went in?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 27.08. 2020 04:32 »
G'day RR.
Yum, yum, yum.
I'd guess at soda blast as my head came back the same.
You didn't think of valve stem seals before the guides went in?
Cheers
The only bike I've fitted them to was the A75 on the inlet valves. Have never really gone there since. The last valve issues I had were both loose guide related. Both vincent and the ZB33 were oiling due to loose guides.
Bender my chair needs work but again he's smoking because the methanol (float problem) rinsed all the oil out of the LH cylinder and guides. So not sure I generally see the need (I'm a simple man and no expert) . My general opinion is the only time oil will be sucked down the guides is when engine braking and the throttles shut creating a vacuum. But no, didnt think about them.  *whistle*
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #57 on: 27.08. 2020 04:36 »
The A7 plunger is next in line for attention. I'll be looking to do it. Notrun seals are supposed to fit.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 27.08. 2020 04:49 »
Once I have finally put the engine together something I havent really considered is the clutch. this bike still has a complete six spring wonder clutch. Now I could put my anorak on and keep it (which might be a sensible starter for 10) but I could also do the unthinkable and just fit a nice quiet BNR belt driven bullet proof clutch with decent bearings just by opening wallet and increasing the mortgage...Have to ponder dynamo drive too. to Belt or not to Belt that is the question...
New Zealand

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #59 on: 27.08. 2020 05:26 »
belt it tim! its no show pony
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS