Author Topic: Cables and controls needed, looking for advice  (Read 1675 times)

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
 I wasnt sure which topic to put this in, it kind of applies to all.

Things have moved forward at a pretty good pace on the 58 flash, and now its time to purchase throttle control, hand levers and cables.

After looking all over, I see a lot of shiny looking stuff that might be OK, but is probably junk.

I am not looking to pinch pennies here, I am looking for quality stuff. I have looked at the usual (to me) suspects, but it all looks like it came from the exact same supplier in India.

Am I missing a supplier?

So I am looking for a supplier with very good quality controls and cables, hopefully a one stop shop. Price is not my first concern here.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cables and controls needed, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2017 14:02 »
I bought mine from Draganfly. I've had no problems yet.

I still have the original levers with switch bases cast in. I may try to re-use them one day.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2017 14:18 »
I have several slightly ropy sets of levers and perches. One point of note was that some of them have differing pivot point to nipple position distances, thus offering different amounts of travel and mechanical advantage. Probably only of interest if you are using a 6 spring clutch.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2017 14:32 »
Be careful what you order though - there are a surprising amount of variations.  Throttle and carb ends vary in the size of nipple, type and position of adjuster and length.  I know cause I have 3 stabs at it before I worked out all the differences.  Brake cables are even worse.
My advice (not as an expert - as I'm quite new to A10 but through  experience) - measure up what you have and replicate if it's one for one.  I didn't have the luxury of a starting point.  If you're buying a set for say twist grip and cable - buy them together - I'd recommend Burlen who sell good kit and know what they're talking about.
Levers and cables, I'd do the same, some cables come with lever adjusters fitted and can be different from lever threads etc.  Free length and fitting types (shackle, ball, narrow and wide cable ends) can be bewildering (I think I have about 5 front brake cables!!!) -measure twice order once!
I've been very impressed with Fecked lately - good gear and good fast service - although I've had no problems with any of the other usual suspects.

good luck Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.02. 2017 16:24 »
Lee,

Since you're in Wisconsin, I assume you must know Ed at Morrie's Place in Ringwood, IL. They can make up cables to custom length and have some pre-made (though not deep in A10). They typically have Emgo levers in stock and, I believe, they also have some higher grade on hand.

http://www.morriesplacecycle.com/

Richard L.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2017 17:23 »
I purchased the throttle control and cables from  Draganfly for my A & B series

Quality and fitment all good

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2017 23:14 »
I purchased the throttle control and cables from  Draganfly for my A & B series

Quality and fitment all good

S
Me to  *smile*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

beezermacc

« Reply #7 on: 11.02. 2017 05:01 »
Speaking as a supplier I find the main problem is that most bikes have had some components changed from original. It is rare to find a bike which has original handlebars, twistgrip, carburettor, levers, brake plates etc. On my own bikes I've got into the habit of making my own cables. Universal cable kits, or D-I-Y cables as I call them, are readily available. I find if I make my own cables I end up with a neater job because the cables will be the perfect length to look right on the bike whilst allowing enough room for the turn of the handlebars without the cables being unnecessarily long and sloppy looking. Obviously cables need to be made with some care as there are safety implications. The nipples must be well matched to the wire but these are usually supplied together as part of the kit. Use very good quality wire cutters and splay the end of the cable carefully so that it spreads fully within the open end of the nipple. Hang the cable in the vice, use a little flux and apply the solder from the inside end of the nipple. Don't use too much heat. I tend to waft the torch over the nipple until the solder runs and I keep melting solder in until it 'blobs' at the open end of the cable. When the cable has cooled I skim the solder off until the nipple fits in the lever.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 11.02. 2017 08:01 »

I've been very impressed with Fecked lately - good gear and good fast service - although I've had no problems with any of the other usual suspects.
good luck Raymond.

Off Topic...  Feked supplied my siamese pipes and they fitted with minor mods. Like *smile*
59 Super Rocket 

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 11.02. 2017 11:27 »
If you are going to make the effort to make your own cables then do it properly and fit a free rotating drum to the handlebar end and not a fixed drum.
When you pull on a cable, the cable tries to rotate because of the lay of the wire.
Motorcycle controls are designed to allow for this rotation at the engine end of the cables by fitting a ball or pear end which in theory can rotate.
In practice the socket the ball fits into is usually mutilated and the cable does not rotate , so it starts to snap strands at the handlebar end as the cable is really a bunch of very fine steel wires that you are twisting twice every time you pull a lever.
By fitting a pear and free rotating drum to the handle bar end you allow for this rotation at both ends.
This gives you 2 benefits
1) the cable will last indefinately & never break.
2) more of the force you put on the lever will be transmitted to the other end of the cable thus making both the clutch & brake lighter.

Aside from that the pears are easier to solder on than a complete drum.
Slip the drum onto the wire, thin hole first then run it out of the way.
Do the same with the pear,
lightly solder the place where you are going to cut the wire then cut it with bolt cutters.
Hold the wire in a vice with about 1/4" exposed and splay out the wires with a sharp pointed center punch.
Pull the pear back up the wire till the splayed wires are inside the domed part, don't pull it all the way off.
Now fill the pear with 30:70 ( high strength) tin mans solder.
If necessary , like me you have solder where it should not be, polish off, now lube and slid the drum back over the cable, realizing you have forgotten the end ferrule & Adjuster. *pull hair out*
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 11.02. 2017 12:21 »
 Its probable I will end up making the cables, I can buy everything from this place:  http://www.flanderscables.com/index.html

But first I have to find controls so I know exactly what I need to order. I just looked at Paul Goffs site, and he has some levers with "improved plating" that look kind of promising. Anyone ever deal with him?

Where can you find brake and clutch levers with ball sockets and not barrel receivers? I dont know if I have ever seen those, but its not something you normally look at. ;)

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 11.02. 2017 12:37 »
yes i know Paul, he has some good stuff, not the cheapest guy, but good kit and he is helpful if there are problems.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 11.02. 2017 12:41 »
BSA_54A10 I like your idea as I have made my own cables for some time now, but could you put some pictures on showing what you do as I have never heard of the pear idea or indeed what a pear is apart from eating them. Thanks.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 11.02. 2017 18:03 »
BSA_54A10 I like your idea as I have made my own cables for some time now, but could you put some pictures on showing what you do as I have never heard of the pear idea or indeed what a pear is apart from eating them. Thanks.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 11.02. 2017 22:51 »
Hi All,
I'm fairly sure I previously posted about soldering cable titties *eek*
A solder pot is the tool to use, cheap as chips on fleabay, get the one with stainless pot
Use Bakers soldering fluid as flux, do not use electrical solder
Heres a link to rotating barrel adaptors as used on Goldies, not too hard to make ??
http://www.barleycorn.co.uk/BSA-Goldstar?product_id=77

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)