Author Topic: Machine Tools  (Read 1267 times)

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Machine Tools
« Reply #15 on: 15.03. 2017 09:11 »
After KiwiGF's post I'll own up to having a TIG setup, too.

Had it for just 2 years and now wouldn't give it up. Increases the range of possible DIY stuff enormously.
It's AC/DC, so good for ally too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 15.03. 2017 11:43 »
Re  Jools question , I'd say to torture anybody foolish enough to try to steal any of his bikes  *whistle* *conf2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 15.03. 2017 11:52 »
...What is it? but what do I use it for?

I believe that is a Mark II Transmogrifier

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Transmogrifier

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 15.03. 2017 13:07 »
My 1940's maybe older little Southbend lathe, I could not have built my bike up without it. It can cut imperial threads  *smile*

Travelled a long way. Made about 120 miles from where I live and made it to NZ.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline danma

• A's Best Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #19 on: 15.03. 2017 20:36 »
 My Richmond mill started life as a horizontal job , but was modded to take a bridgeport head  by a firm I used to work for.

I paid £150 [bargain] for it but have spent many times that on tooling since. It is just like bikes -never ending.
 It was recently overhauled, has a nice plate screwed on it saying so  dated Dec 1953.

It must weigh over a ton and even dismantled is not easy to move. When carting the main body home in a nissan people carrier I had Tim tailgate me home to try and hide the reconfigured rear suspension and scraping exhaust system.It never drove quite the same after that.

The Harrison lathe was another bargain at £100 and came with a bit of tooling including two 8 inch chucks. Has a nice long bed  .

I could not imagine life without either--the possibilities are endless. I just dont like finding swarf in the bed at 3 am.

Offline tinu

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #20 on: 15.03. 2017 21:10 »
I got my old Arboga vertical mill from my neighbour... 300 kilo of swedish heavy metal. it solved some problems, I don't know how I could have done without, not only with the bike.
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Online Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 15.03. 2017 22:22 »
Richard sussed it! (Jools' mystery machine).
The machine is actually a TAPER GRINDER, used for grinding tapered shafts etc. I adapted it to shape guitar necks which require a slightly tapering D shaped section.The whole bed traverses left to right, but it also pivots about it's centre, which gives the taper. A cross-slide holds the grinder, or in my case, a router, and this traverses in and out to machine the work.

I found the machine abandoned when a factory closed down so it cost me nothing, (though it's a massive weight, it was no fun getting it to my workshop).

Jools

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 15.03. 2017 22:56 »
You guys are very lucky to have these lovely machines and somewhere to use them. I'm envious.
I have a nice set of files and a bench vice!! I also have an air compressor and tools, a woodworking Jig Saw, a chop saw, a decent press drill and a MIG welder, (used to have Oxy Acetyline equipment). Over the years I've managed to cobble together some clever stuff using simple tools.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 16.03. 2017 10:11 »
My 1940's maybe older little Southbend lathe, I could not have built my bike up without it. It can cut imperial threads  *smile*

Travelled a long way. Made about 120 miles from where I live and made it to NZ.

Richard L.

Yes Richard, odd isn't it, being so far from home, and so old, I bought it at an auction resulting from a firm making wood burners and fires closing down, its had a hard life and it is difficult to get it to do accurate work, the cross slide is very poor, it was a high quality machine when new, I would be better off with a modern machine but it matches the bike in many ways  :-)
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 17.03. 2017 04:04 »
hi guys, KiwiGF, ( its had a hard life and it is difficult to get it to do accurate work, the cross slide is very poor) just right then for working on our old machines of not to fine a tolerance or measurements, ha-ha
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 18.03. 2017 14:48 »
Inspired by my fellow members, I'm thinking I should pick up this little beauty for turning new cam bushes.

OK, maybe not, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of your machine tool pictures. Got 'em?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 18.03. 2017 20:17 »
Inspired by my fellow members, I'm thinking I should pick up this little beauty for turning new cam bushes.

OK, maybe not, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of your machine tool pictures. Got 'em?

Richard L.

Great little model makers lathe!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 29.04. 2017 21:43 »
Guys,

My ststus for having the use of machine tools has changed pretty dramatcally.

Recently, my wife told about a concept out there called "makerspace". I looked into it and found one pretty close to me. Basically, it is a DIY shop with tools to die for. It has a wood shop, graphics shop, and metal shop, all with 2D and 3D capability. Also has an electronics shop and some other stuff. Operates on a membership basis, weekly monthly or yearly. For the hobbies I have (read, "BSA") this place is going to be great.

I've been spreading the word out to my friends and neighbors who might appreciate this place and, maybe, help keep it viable as a business. I went to their open house today and won a raffle for a free class (granted, there was probably ony 10 tickets in the jar.)

I've attached a few pictures.

Richard L.

make-it-here.com

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 30.04. 2017 09:51 »
You lucky bugga. That's my idea of heaven.
Taking orders are we?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #29 on: 30.04. 2017 10:07 »
Kind of like a mensshed concept  http://mensshed.org/what-is-a-mens-shed/  with cool tools..   *wink2* 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"