Author Topic: Machine Tools  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
Re: Machine Tools
« Reply #30 on: 30.04. 2017 10:31 »
Now all you have to do is to learn how to use all that great machinery Richard! Good one!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 30.04. 2017 15:25 »
This is my Monarch tool room special. It spent most of its life in the Machine shop of a US aircraft carrier. The Ways are like new. I added the Digital Readout, which was a bigger job than expected.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 30.04. 2017 15:34 »
What a gem! Do you know which aircraft carrier? That adds to the story, based on the ship's tours.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 30.04. 2017 15:46 »
I don't. It still has the US Department of Defense number plate attached, I wonder if they would have the history?
Here are the welders, TIG, Mig plus a cooler and a Plasma cutter.
I have a big old 400 amp P&H arc welder in the main shop but rarely use it. These days
I seem to use the TIG for almost everything. It will do stick welding as well.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 30.04. 2017 16:09 »
Hydraulic press and small lathe. The lathe is a Taiwan built Southbend copy. I fitted the DRO to it just before getting the big
Monarch lathe. Had I known the Monarch was coming, I would not have gone to the expense and trouble of fitting a DRO to the small lathe. On the other hand, a lathe of this size will do almost anything  needed for motorcycle work. It's a nice machine to use, within its limits.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 30.04. 2017 16:20 »
Kearney and Trecker Universal Horizontal all hydraulic mill with Vertical quill head attachment. The Vertical head weighs about half a ton so it is on a hydraulic tramway for changeover to Horizontal use. Slacken six large nuts then pull a lever and the Vertical head is lifted straight up via a hydraulic cylinder. I use the vertical head most of the time.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 30.04. 2017 16:59 »
That is all great stuff. This is, apparently, your professional shop. By the stack of routed boards sitting on the table saw and the motorized feeder, I would have presumed you to be a cabinet maker, but the metal working gear confuses that.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Rookie_V#60

• Rudolph the rednose rendeer
  • A's Best Friend
  • Je oller je doller
« Reply #37 on: 30.04. 2017 18:17 »
Not so big stuff, my little combination lathe/mill is just for the daily small items and bits of the passionate homeworker......

Added a frequency converter for easier (slower) thread cutting.

Was years ago constructed from a german engineer and build in Asia.... a real strange *eek* combination!
Good Advice
No reactions
1923 James Model 12 500ccm v-twin
1926 Douglas EW 350ccm flat-twin
1936 Motosacoche 500ccm single
1948 BSA A7 Longstroke 500ccm parallel-twin
1955 Ariel Square Four MKII
1960 C1, 1967 C2, 1979 C3-gone!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 30.04. 2017 19:10 »
Who the heck started this thread?! It's making me feel quite inadequate!  ;)
Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 30.04. 2017 21:56 »
Who the heck started this thread?! It's making me feel quite inadequate!  ;)

No way to hide that it was me. No emasculation intended. I just like looking at different kinds of machinery and curoius what people here are using, especially when they say they just turned a bushing, or something. Bear in mind, all that machinery I showed belongs to "Make-It-Here", and I haven't even paid a membership yet.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 30.04. 2017 23:07 »
wow, he s more equiped than my old company depot  with British Rail. mainly scaffold poles and hammers kept the wheels turning.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #41 on: 30.04. 2017 23:37 »
I don't know which I like best... that big Monarch or that big Vinnie!
YUM!!!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #42 on: 01.05. 2017 15:42 »
That is all great stuff. This is, apparently, your professional shop. By the stack of routed boards sitting on the table saw and the motorized feeder, I would have presumed you to be a cabinet maker, but the metal working gear confuses that.

Richard L.

You guessed correctly Richard. It is a wood shop. The metal stuff is for hobby work. Because there is already 220/440 volt three phase power in shop it was possible to take advantage of some good deals on heavy duty older metal working equipment.
My brother and I started the business 35 years ago in the 1200 sq ft area shown in the photos then added on 4300 sq ft as the business and machine list grew. Nowadays I spend most of the time in the 1200 sq ft part as that is where the bike lift and metal working stuff is, plus it is easy to heat in winter (woodstove)

Glen
Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 01.05. 2017 16:00 »
...and let's not forget the forklift.

Woodstove? Montague?

Square footage is an interesting topic. As I implied, I am concerned for the business viability of "Make-It-Here" because they seem to have rented way more square footage than they need. In my opinion, in a fledgling business that is yet to prove itself, overcrowding should be a given.

Richard L
Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 24.05. 2020 17:41 »
Guys,

My ststus for having the use of machine tools has changed pretty dramatcally.

Recently, my wife told about a concept out there called "makerspace". I looked into it and found one pretty close to me. Basically, it is a DIY shop with tools to die for. It has a wood shop, graphics shop, and metal shop, all with 2D and 3D capability. Also has an electronics shop and some other stuff. Operates on a membership basis, weekly monthly or yearly. For the hobbies I have (read, "BSA") this place is going to be great.

I've been spreading the word out to my friends and neighbors who might appreciate this place and, maybe, help keep it viable as a business. I went to their open house today and won a raffle for a free class (granted, there was probably ony 10 tickets in the jar.)

I've attached a few pictures.

Richard L.

make-it-here.com

Guys,

Not human life and death, but it is with heavy heart that I announce what I fully expected, even before coronavirus, Make-It-Here has gone belly-up. Coronavirus was not the whole reason, but the nail in the coffin.  I could actually buy one of the vertical mills I used for line-boring my timing-side bush for $1,200, but garage space and marriage precludes. The Moriseki lathe I liked there is listed at $12K, so not even a thought.

Regards

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions