Author Topic: A10 rear brake conversion cable to rod  (Read 6435 times)

Offline ronnierockets

• A's Best Friend
Re: A10 rear brake conversion cable to rod
« Reply #15 on: 22.11. 2009 14:31 »
Hi folks,
Heres my attempt at the rear brake mod, its similar to one already mentioned.
The cable operated job, is replaced by  a rod attached to the rear hub brake arm, the rod runs from the brake arm through the small space between the oil tank and the oil feed pipe where its then attached to a modified lever
the modified  lever is bolted to the splines on the crossover shaft as normal

To make the new lever mod i at first thought of using an old gearchange lever as it was a good fit on the crossover shaft splines i was going to cut the lever  off near its base and weld  a fabricated lever  to it
However i found a brake lever in my bits and pieces that looked the right length and fitted the splines like a glove.
My friend Tom welded a bracket to a piece of hollow tubing, the bracket had one hole in it to attach the brake rod and another hole to bolt the assembley together
This would allow me to alter the angle of the rod pull and to shorten the tube length without having to cut and reweld each time.       When i was happy with the pull angle and the tubing length tom welded the lot together.This mod is working very well and has totally transformed my rear brake
Good Advice
No reactions
as the wife says,too many bikes, and only one butt.

Offline ronnierockets

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #16 on: 22.11. 2009 14:40 »
more photos,
Good Advice
No reactions
as the wife says,too many bikes, and only one butt.

Offline NickSR

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #17 on: 01.12. 2009 21:29 »
Hi Everyone
The Brake Arm 42/6042 from the states via Ebay has arrived, I was hopeing as it was for an early A50/65 it was going to fit straight on. no such luck as it has the multi settings adjustment and is to big.

Not sure what action to take.
Option 1: Weld up the bolt hole re-drill and file square?
Option 2: Any ideals guys.

Regards
Nick
Good Advice
No reactions
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #18 on: 24.05. 2011 21:30 »
Hi again everyone been away for a long time but the lust is still there its just that the body is not so willing nowadays anyway after starting this post a few years back I have been catching up with whats going on and this came up about possible interference from the movement of the swinging arm! Well here is my answer it makes no difference at all as both ends of the rod are on swivels and the amount of movement if any getting by the swivels does not notice I can honestly say I think this was the most practical and worthwhile upgrade I did on an A10 which made the brake feel like a brake instead of a sponge Chris
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline NickSR

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #19 on: 25.05. 2011 22:27 »
Hi Chris
Good to hear from you, with your help and Ronnie I produced a step by step guide how to make up the converstion with basic tools and skills and only one trip for welding early this year with a few guys asking for the information.

Have been very pleased with the results, a good friend of mine has just made me the Z arm in stainless steel, will take photo  and post it when fitted.

Regards
Nick
Good Advice
No reactions
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R