Author Topic: Ronnierockets anti wet sumping device  (Read 7719 times)

Offline ronnierockets

• Moving Up
Re: Ronnierockets anti wet sumping device
« Reply #15 on: 07.06. 2009 19:59 »
Hi Tone,
Regarding your question about my wet sumping device,
the gas tap was "rescued" from my son -in -laws toolbox (a freebie)  he's in the heating/plumbing business,but I imagine they can be purchased in most plumbing stores,
The tap is fitted to the flow side, and yes i have used the origional elbow and fitting nut ,on the oil tank.
I also use the device to stop the engine after a spin,when i'm putting the bike in the shed.(checking that the device is still working)
hope this answers your questions.
best regards ...Ronnierockets...
as the wife says,too many bikes, and only one butt.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #16 on: 07.06. 2009 20:10 »
LJ
the A10 swing arm valve screws into the crankcase the type you have would be suitable for a plunger A10 so bring it to the Wicksteed weekend and I will have it
Richard

Okay Richard! I've marked my earlier post with the SOLD! word and will bring it to Wicksteed Park for you. (Brave Man!)  *clap*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 07.06. 2009 20:24 »
dont do it *problem*

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #18 on: 08.06. 2009 01:00 »
correct me if im wrong but to operate a valve do you need suction and arnt bsa oil pumps
gravity fead  it only takes some particals ove metel in the oil to stop the valve working then
its game set and match end ove the road

Yes, the oil pump requires oil to make a seal between the gears  and the end plates.
So if there is absolutely no oil in the delivery side then it can not pump.
This is why you stick your pressurized oil can in the delivery line and prime it when you replace the engine or the oil lines.

If you fit the after market valve then the pump has to provide sufficient "suction" to open 2 valves.
I am sure the instruction tell you to remove the original BSA one but if you were going to pull the pump then you would fix the original one in the first place.

The aftermarket one is in fact a better unit that the original but has the same limitations, If the oil is dirty then crud will get stuck under it and it will not seal.

Now add to that the fact that most of us have a wet sumping problem only because we do do not ride the bikes any where near as often as BSA designed them for and we have now added another impediment to oil flowing through the engine.
Most advertisments do have some modicum of truth behind them and the ones that tell us that 90 % of engine wear happens during start up before the oil pressure has built up a continious film is in fact correct. And this goes quadrouple for limited use "toy" bikes.

Wet sumping is a sign that something is not as good as it could be and there are only a few reasons for it.
1) crud under factory fitted valve CHANGE THE BLOODY OIL MORE FREQUENTLY
2) errosion under the ball seat - give it a sharp "tap"
3) old weak worn out spring - replace it
4) badly worn pump - replace/ repair it see also No 1 which is why the pump is worn out.
5) pump is loose - don't worry about the wet sumping your bike is on a one way trip to the scrap yard
6) cases cracked - see above
7) all or any combination of above - typical for abused BSA - polish it an stick it on evilbay.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
« Reply #19 on: 08.06. 2009 09:05 »
Hi All

I like Trevors answer...

Personally i like keeping my crankcases as continious pieces of alloy! Ali welding not being my strong point. Like has been said before if we rode them like they should (assuming the mechanics are ok) they wouldnt wet sump to a greater extent. I think rather be safe that sorry, springs to mind rather than trusting yet another mechanical device!

I have often pondered and dare i say it .... If some of these well know ......... "Oil Additives" (there ive said it) Make a difference?

Rightly or wrongly i have been a beleiver in Molyslip i think only because my Father and Father in Law were both motor engineers (when engineers were engineers) and they told me you could always notice a difference on engines that did and didnt use things like this also applied to Redex. They also told me all this cobblers about hardend valve seats was rubbish, "if a valve seat wasnt hardened enough in 40Years of running"
Maybe they have a good point.

If Molyslip adhears to the bearing surfaces and does not drain off as the oil does would that not give additional protection to the bearing surfaces during start up? I guess this was what Castrol were promoting in the "Magnatec" oil? Good idea if it works ...

Anyhow id rather beleive in that than a Anti Sumping valve!

Steve
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 08.06. 2009 10:06 »

If you fit the after market valve then the pump has to provide sufficient "suction" to open 2 valves.
Just one I think is'nt the other on the pressure side?

correct me if im wrong but to operate a valve do you need suction and arnt bsa oil pumps
gravity fead 

Any pump that creates pressure is capable of providing suction, if not then how does the pump get the oil out of the sump?

The aftermarket one is in fact a better unit that the original but has the same limitations, If the oil is dirty then crud will get stuck under it and it will not seal.
This surely also applies to the non return valve in the return tube in the sump and the non return valve in the crankcase behind the pump

I'm still waiting for someone to say the've had an engine ruined due to Poly's valve
but each to his own - I should be out riding but niether bike is complete at the moment - but getting there slowly

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco