Author Topic: Mods v Rockers - Why was 'Mod' popular?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Zander

• A's Best Friend
Re: Mods v Rockers - Why was 'Mod' popular?
« Reply #15 on: 06.08. 2017 13:34 »
Old Rocker? Cheeky monkey *grins*
I had a foot in both mod n rocker camps as Trojan became Lambretta concessionaires for the UK while I was there.  Mind you, I didn't buy ( or want) one - too expensive!
Lambretta did, however, make a gorgeous V twin motorcycle but only saw it through the slats of a crate - they wouldn't let us open it.
'59 GF

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 07.08. 2017 11:50 »
In our gang of of 5 we had an additional friend who was at Uni however he'd join us ,BSA A10 ,2 trumpets ,a huntmaster and a C15 with an LD150 ,never let him down and wasn't that slow at times . We did have some runins with Mods ,at a local chippy I emptied a jar of pickled cabbage over one who persisted in pinching loads of my supper despite being told to leave off ,had been a lovely light grey  suit ,silly sod went to belt me so we ended up outside and I whacked him .Then had to go and get some more supper as my mates had eaten mine while I was thumping the mod !! Mostly we just got along ok .
Strange as I sold bikes for a living I exchanged my Belstaff and jeans for a suit at work and used to ride in that around town ,sometimes I had to sell Scooters but I avoided riding 'em just couldn't get along with 'em.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 07.08. 2017 13:27 »
Yes I missed the main event by some years. Historians now suggest that the Mods vs. Rockers main events were massively over stated by the popular press of the day anyway. There was a modish revival in the late 70s I think. I’d stepped up from a CD175 to my A10 in 1979 and was enormously pleased to have ‘British bike bastard’ shouted at me when rumbling under the railway bridge in central Chelmsford not long after I had got it. Got into a slanging match with one or two of them around then and at one point the whole of the Billericay Parkas were supposedly out gunning for me.

Water under the bridge now of course. We’re all just old motorcycle enthusiasts, of possibly still slightly different stripes. So now I’m just an old head banger; enjoy watching a rerun of Quadrophenia from time to time. If you were bemused by Phil Daniels performance in that one check out the file Freebird some time – that’s a real, err, treat.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 08.08. 2017 12:48 »
Not that I have the least interest in riding any sort of scooter, but I must admit the old boy Mods (sometimes seen out en masse on Bank Holidays and Sundays) do seem to have a good social "scene" going on.
Bit of a ride out then back to the bar/pub where Motown, Stax or Atlantic records are playing full-blast.
Beer, good music and personal transportation is a heady mix... ;)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 08.08. 2017 14:08 »
Motorcyclelists were considered dirty greasers by the mods who had smart Italian suits and Italian scooters.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 08.08. 2017 14:55 »
The male mods were pure posers who used drugs, drink and dancing .
Rockers were more for fun and went more for coffee bars and juke boxes.
Then there were another lot that were nearer to rockers than mods, the Teds. (Teddy Boys).
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BSARGS650

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 08.08. 2017 16:44 »
Mmmm....Born in 1949, had the privilege to experience a fast, exciting changing world of music, fashion, culture and much, much more...A couple of us Rockers at the time had some grief from a few Mods at one time, one who was a bit mouthier and braver than the others and something had to be done as the USA would say in modern speak.  The said one's Lambretta was thrown off the canal bridge followed by himself, a result and no more grief........

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 08.08. 2017 16:51 »
Mmmm....Born in 1949, had the privilege to experience a fast, exciting changing world of music, fashion, culture and much, much more...A couple of us Rockers at the time had some grief from a few Mods at one time, one who was a bit mouthier and braver than the others and something had to be done as the USA would say in modern speak.  The said one's Lambretta was thrown off the canal bridge followed by himself, a result and no more grief........
I bet that ruined his posh suit   *woo*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BSARGS650

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 08.08. 2017 17:42 »
From what I remember, he and his mates had army type surplus khaki jackets.....I thought the suited types lived in Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Hampstead......

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 08.08. 2017 19:12 »
the Teds. (Teddy Boys).
Ah but they were not the originals, the original Teddy Boys (so called as they liked Edwardian fashion they say) wore drape jackets in bright colours with contrasting black collars and pocket flaps, very tight tapered trousers called drainpipes (similar to today's skinny look) and shoes with thick crepe soles ( brothel creepers) often black or blue suede ( hence the song by Carl Perkins I think) UH HU.

Now don't pretend you can't remember
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 08.08. 2017 19:38 »
the Teds. (Teddy Boys).
Ah but they were not the originals, the original Teddy Boys (so called as they liked Edwardian fashion they say) wore drape jackets in bright colours with contrasting black collars and pocket flaps, very tight tapered trousers called drainpipes (similar to today's skinny look) and shoes with thick crepe soles ( brothel creepers) often black or blue suede ( hence the song by Carl Perkins I think) UH HU.

Now don't pretend you can't remember

That is what I mean by teds  -  Drapes & crepes with a cwif.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Billybream

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 08.08. 2017 21:58 »
Come on lads, now identify the bike
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 08.08. 2017 22:03 »

1970s Japanese 4?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 08.08. 2017 23:09 »

Quote from: Billybream on Today at 07:58:56

1970s Japanese 4?

My first hought was also some kind of Jappo, but also may be some kind of Beemer
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 08.08. 2017 23:43 »

GT750 ?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash EA7-168x, CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, missing parts so mission impossible?

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why, maybe cos it always starts