Author Topic: Mods v Rockers - Why was 'Mod' popular?  (Read 958 times)

Offline LynnLegend

• Moving Up
Mods v Rockers - Why was 'Mod' popular?
« on: 04.08. 2017 19:30 »
Hi all,

As I was born in 1989, I don't remember the heyday of the Mods v Rockers by virtue of not being born, so I'm not really able to appreciate what it must have been like in real life. That having been said, I can see quite clearly that Rockers on their cafe racer British bikes were inherently cool; what I don't understand is why the Mod movement was popular and what was cool about it?

I wonder if having been brought up on a diet of Rolling Stones, AC\DC, Triumph and BSA (thanks Dad!) my take on the Mod movement is a bit biased?!

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of forum members who are a bit closer to those cultural movements.

Thanks!

Sam.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Mods v Rockers - Why was 'Mod' popular?
« Reply #1 on: 04.08. 2017 20:20 »
If you haven't yet seen the movie Quadrophenia, then get the DVD as fast as you can.
A lot of your questions will be answered... *bright idea*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2017 22:02 »
Quadrophenia? I saw that nonsense at the cinema when it came out....my over-riding memory is of the leading actor (Phil something-or-other) standing in the rain and gurning as if his life depended on it.
Oh, and that self-projecting idiot Sting trying to be cool in a suit and haircut 15 years ahead of it's time... ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 05.08. 2017 00:33 »
Simple correlation perhaps more relatable (Still dated but at least a 1980s reference)

For UK music styles, you MIGHT prefer Judas Priest, Def leppard, Saxon, Motorhead or?
-OR-
You were a Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran or Simple minds or other mindless drivel

Or,, Marshall stack (JCM800 super lead, 4x12 cabinets with celestion speakers)
-Or-
Fender twin reverb.

Taken in light of that, Skinny ties, Winkle pickers and scooters might seem like a credible lifestyle choice for the time period.

Working class vs preppies?

I know a local guy, theres a number of Scooter clubs in our area and quite popular, the whole retro scene is quite popular but like you, most were born well after the Mods & Rockers and dont really know much about it or the epic rivalry.

So Bob rides up on his Matchless twin dressed in Black leather to one of the local scooter gathering spots and growls  "Wanna fight?"

It was hilarious!  The Scooter kids were "Oh my NO!,, Did we do something to offend you?" 
Several started apologizing having no idea why Bob wanted to start a fight.  (He really was not, just screwing with them)  They had no clue about it or why Bob was going on about..

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 05.08. 2017 00:47 »
If you haven't yet seen the movie Quadrophenia, then get the DVD as fast as you can.
A lot of your questions will be answered... *bright idea*
The movie does not tell the truth... The ROCKERS won the fight..   *eek* *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.08. 2017 02:29 »
Hi all,

As I was born in 1989, I don't remember the heyday of the Mods v Rockers by virtue of not being born, so I'm not really able to appreciate what it must have been like in real life. That having been said, I can see quite clearly that Rockers on their cafe racer British bikes were inherently cool; what I don't understand is why the Mod movement was popular and what was cool about it?

I wonder if having been brought up on a diet of Rolling Stones, AC\DC, Triumph and BSA (thanks Dad!) my take on the Mod movement is a bit biased?!

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of forum members who are a bit closer to those cultural movements.

Thanks!

Sam.

I was born in 58 and rode my super rocket as soon as I was 17. I only suffered a little from the mod movement as it was largely over by the time I was riding, there was still the odd scrap between mods and rockers going on (particularly in Brighton I remember) but the trouble was probably hyped up by the media, as I never saw it. The rocker movement was also pretty much over by then as well.

I remember them as a bunch of "posers" riding scooters and wearing parkas, but they thought they were super cool, and unlike rockers they seemed to be into taking drugs.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash EA7-168x, CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, missing parts so mission impossible?

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why, maybe cos it always starts

Offline Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #6 on: 05.08. 2017 06:17 »
Being a bit more venerable, my motorcycling career started at the time of Mods and Rockers. I never really saw the point of it all. A bunch of us used to hang about and go for rides on an Enfield Crusader, an Enfield Bullet, a Tiger Cub, a Vespa 150, a Lambretta 175 and a Honda S90. Usaully changing out of school uniform first. But not always.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.08. 2017 07:59 »
I was born in 1944 (and was a rocker), just at the best time.
No conscription, no speed limits (out of town), no crash helmets, great music, no drugs and no booze.
It was a great time to be a teenager.
There is plenty on Youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmzvlHrTCs  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmzvlHrTCs&B300309D838099B6330F83B95A4BF069
 Roy.

Two pics.
My mate on his triton and me on my 1961 A7ss.
If you look closely you can see the word ROCKER on my helmet under my goggles.

By the way, The Stones and The Beatles were nothing to do with Rock N Roll, It had finished by then. But what a time to have been young.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 05.08. 2017 08:38 »
Hi all,

Thanks!

Sam.

I was alive in mod/rocker days, but was at the little school.

There's not much point trying to rationalise teenage fashions.

Did you say Rolling Stones?

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #9 on: 05.08. 2017 10:01 »
Mods liked and wore smart clothes, for example sharply cut suits and expensive shoes. The scooter fairing and footplate (and Parka) must have been a great help in preserving 'the look'.
That's my recollection - seen from the rocker side, of course.

I do enjoy Quadraphenia. Not just the excellent music of The Who but also seeing early performances by soon to be big names, like Leslie Ash and Ray Winstone among others.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 05.08. 2017 10:22 »

[/quote]
I was born in 58 and rode my super rocket as soon as I was 17. 
[/quote]

If I recall you could have rode your bike at 16. but due to young L riders getting on 650's and killing themselves, the government said that learners could only ride 250cc bikes unless it had a sidecar on it.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 05.08. 2017 11:07 »
I was born in 58 and rode my super rocket as soon as I was 17. 

If I recall you could have rode your bike at 16.

Not if born in 1958.

Offline LynnLegend

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 05.08. 2017 11:31 »
Thanks for all the answers so far - Roy those are some great photos.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Offline Zander

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 05.08. 2017 19:43 »
You kids don't know yer born *smiley4*
I started my apprenticeship in 1955, joined a rock group, rode me T100 from Croydon to Brighton for fun in the evenings after work but missed all the punch ups!
Those were the days!!! *beer*
'59 GF

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 05.08. 2017 22:00 »
You old rocker you *bash*