Author Topic: 12V Conversion  (Read 2887 times)

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
12V Conversion
« on: 22.08. 2017 11:34 »
Hi all.
I'm wanting  to do the 12 V conversion thing.
Seems straightforward but I have a few questions.
Will my ammeter fry at the higher voltage?
Also does anyone in AUS know where I can buy a 12V headlight insert to replace my 6V so I can retain the original nacelle.
Preferably not a sealed beam so I can fit a LED bulb.
Then I might even consider indicators!
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Cheers, Hadrian.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 12V Conversion
« Reply #1 on: 22.08. 2017 12:10 »
Hi all.
Also does anyone in AUS know where I can buy a 12V headlight insert to replace my 6V so I can retain the original nacelle.

Cheers, Hadrian.
I have done all that you want to do but my supplier is UK based.  -  http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/  -  He will ship worldwide.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.08. 2017 12:26 »
Hi all.
Cheers, Hadrian.

Your ammeter will actually have less work, as all things being equal when the voltage doubles the amps will halve.

I've just built my b31 with a dvr2 set up to regulate at 12v instead of the normal 6v, the b31 has the same Lucas Dynamo as the A10 albeit it rotates a bit faster I suspect,  I just had to buy a 12v bulb for the headlight and rear light to rake the extra volts, the non std 6v horn I retained as 12v just makes it louder  *smile* , I've got the original Lucas type headlight glass/reflector that takes "BPF" type bulbs, and the only problem was the local automotive electrical supplier only had 12v BPF bulbs in 40/50 watt which is a bit more watts than I wanted, but it still charges on dip beam, and breaks even on main.

I'm pretty sure any Hella brand stockists can supply a reflector which would fit the std headlamp shell, and take halogen bulbs, if you can't use your current one, though I am not sure what sort of reflector you want instead of what you have now *dunno*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2017 08:01 »
I think I will be converting the A7 to 12v during the winter. I have done everything I can think of and still the lights are poor. Nearly lost her the other night with a honda behind me, all I could see was my shadow and then a nice grassy bank that I used as corner banking, lucky no ditch.
Anyway easy job for me as I have a DVR2, so a wire cut, put the batteries in series and change of bulbs. I think I will get a headlight shell that takes a standard H4 bulb.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.08. 2017 08:57 »
There is signficant variation in directed light output from the various H4 light units available.

I tried a "new" Lucas domed glass H4 light unit and found the output quite poorly directed. Changed to an "old" Lucas flat glass H4 unit and found it had a much better beam pattern on dip and main but they dont make these anymore.

The Wipac quodoptic unit is also quite good.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.08. 2017 09:43 »

I have a H4 Hella reflector on my A10, and a Narva reflector on the Gutzzi, but the Hella has a much better spread but not cheap from Repco/Ashdown Ingram .(Posted about that recently).

I've bought bits from Classic  Auto lighting http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/index.html
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2017 12:11 »
you can get a very good 6v h4 led from the uk: the 5th gen one here:http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-bulbs-especially-for-motorcycles-shop.php
you'll need the h4 reflector unless you wish to 'hack' it in the bpf reflector with cable ties (like my b33 - works fine but the light is less focussed). i went ocd on this topic somewhere with pics showing the various options -search the archives. my sr is still 6v and perfectly bright enough with the correct leds. and 6v charges at lower revs.

if you really want to go 12v replace the bulbs (front and rear), replace the regulator (fit a dvr2), replace the battery (a cyclon is my favourite) and that's it. no need to rewind the genny. the 6v horn will survive unless you drive like in india. don't buy one of those cheap leds with fans on the back. noisier than your bsa. i stress tested one for heat (like in a headlamp shell) and its lasted about one hour
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 23.08. 2017 13:46 »
I have yet to find a LED headlight bulb that actually illuminates the bit of the road in front of you. Hopeless for night riding. Good stop/tail bulbs though.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2017 16:13 »
fit a cibie Z beam light unit, much better focused and is an H4 fitting, then you can get an LED headlight that is very bright and only uses about 20 watts and gives a great beam for riding on country roads at night, i live in a small village on top of a hill and the roads are very poor and street lights don't exist!!! Paul goff sells some very good ones and so do classic dynamo conversions, both are good, even fitted one to my bantam and if that 50watt wipac generator can keep up with it then so can a 60 watt dynamo.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.08. 2017 19:34 »
I have yet to find a LED headlight bulb that actually illuminates the bit of the road in front of you. Hopeless for night riding. Good stop/tail bulbs though.

I have fitted one of these (special offer £62-50), I hope it lives up to the claims. -  http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 23.08. 2017 20:51 »
I have yet to find a LED headlight bulb that actually illuminates the bit of the road in front of you
Have you tried the type I mentioned? road tests here fine
New Zealand

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 24.08. 2017 10:56 »
you can get a very good 6v h4 led from the uk: the 5th gen one here:http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-bulbs-especially-for-motorcycles-shop.php
you'll need the h4 reflector unless you wish to 'hack' it in the bpf reflector with cable ties (like my b33 - works fine but the light is less focussed). i went ocd on this topic somewhere with pics showing the various options -search the archives. my sr is still 6v and perfectly bright enough with the correct leds. and 6v charges at lower revs.

if you really want to go 12v replace the bulbs (front and rear), replace the regulator (fit a dvr2), replace the battery (a cyclon is my favourite) and that's it. no need to rewind the genny. the 6v horn will survive unless you drive like in india. don't buy one of those cheap leds with fans on the back. noisier than your bsa. i stress tested one for heat (like in a headlamp shell) and its lasted about one hour

Have you actually ridden with that double dipper at night.
My high pressure halogen parking bulb put out a better riding light than the very expensive, highly over rated but totally useless double dipper 6 V LED piece of lethal garbage.

It might work better on 12 V considering they are rated for 6 V to 48 V but mine was lethal at any speed over 10 mph on a road with no street lights.
By far the best 6V light I have ever used was a Hella 6V Halogen in an old Kombi waggon reflector which fits perfectly inside a Lucas shell.
The globe is the size of a golf ball with a very long element so you gest a really strong solid beam.
The Double dipper was good for reading a map 2' away from the headlamp but dangerous on the road.
You can tell they know that the globe is garbage by all the blame they direct towards the reflector thus making purchasers believe it is their fault that the light does not work.
Any one with 1/2 a brain should be able to see that a single CRE LED with a beam angle of 120 deg, sitting on a stick that throws a shadow over 1/2 the reflector can not work.
So all you get is the reflected light from that 120 deg cone bouncing off the reflector which accounts for a touch less than 1/4 of the reflecting surface of the reflector or 1/2 when both LEDs are energised.
Thus on high beam you get an elongated figure of 8 beam of light which throws a strong shadow of the front wheel over the ground it is about to roll over, no side illumination at the waist of the "8" and some feeble light in front of the shadow while all of the oncoming cars flash you because the light at the top of the "8" is in their eyes.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 24.08. 2017 11:13 »
yes i have. a double dipper is hopeless. that's why i next  bought the 6v 5th gen LED as per that link. its great. they are very different bulbs, and have very different price tags. have another look at that page. its the big black h4 fitting. pic below off that site. not a fanboy, just happy customer. i tried a lot of bulbs before this one.

or... you could just buy a large wattage halogen and hope you don't burn out your genny... your choice
New Zealand

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #13 on: 25.08. 2017 08:52 »
yes i have. a double dipper is hopeless. that's why i next  bought the 6v 5th gen LED as per that link. its great. they are very different bulbs, and have very different price tags. have another look at that page. its the big black h4 fitting. pic below off that site. not a fanboy, just happy customer. i tried a lot of bulbs before this one.

or... you could just buy a large wattage halogen and hope you don't burn out your genny... your choice

My appologies.
They were the only people flogging the double dip ( into your pocket ) er .
And boldly singing its praises .
Thus I wrongly assumed that was the bulb you were linked to.

However having been skinned £ 90 by that mob who have the morals of an alley cat there is no way I will ever send them a single red penny ever again nor direct any one towards them or any of their products as they are not to be trusted.
IMHO they should be prosecuted for claiming that the Double Dipper is suitable for motorcycle use, it is a strait out FRAUD and they must know it as they claim to have tested all their LED lamps.
Before I blew the last of my stock of 6V 24/24 tungstens I used to ride the M20 a lot at night with no problems at all.
The A 10 & B 40 both run Bosch Halogens and give excellent light and I was hoping the DD would allow me to ride the M20 at night again as every new 6V 24/24 I have bought in receint times the glass fell out of the base
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 25.08. 2017 11:57 »
sounds like you got burned Trevor... £90?? i would not be happy.  i do agree those double dippers are double trouble. i just re-read the doubly dubious blurb on that page and agree its nothing like the actual performance of the one i got, which was weak and unfocused. diabolically dim. dangerously dull.
its certainly hard to buy a second time when you feel robbed. i've been amazed with the a10 at how many new parts are unfit for purpose. but that's another topic that's already been done to a double death
New Zealand