Author Topic: 12V Conversion  (Read 2862 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 12V Conversion
« Reply #15 on: 25.08. 2017 23:14 »

So Trev, I'm a bit confused where you bought your Duddly-Dipper from and to NOT buy from there....?

Even £60 / $~90 for the ' 6v 5th gen LED' is a bit of a slug, but if it's guaranteed to do the job will ease the pain...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 26.08. 2017 09:02 »
From Dynamo conversions UK
And they GUARANTED the Double Dipper would work.
Mr Pearson also sells the double dipper now, he didn't when I bought my pair , but at least he is honest and shows the garbage light it produces.
The other mob of burgulars simply sang it praises and threw any blame back onto the customer for having a dud reflector.
Mine was resilvered ( real silver not chrome ) about 10 years back and is in perfect condition.
as they say, fooled me once , shame on you fool me twice, shame on me
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 26.08. 2017 09:52 »
Their full business name is CLASSIC DYNAMO & REGULATOR CONVERSIONS LTD (CDRC)
Not to be confused with the Company I run (simply Dynamo Regulators Ltd), known here primarily as originators of the DVR2 regulator.

Unfortunately early on CDRC chose a URL of dynamoregulatorconversions.com. Which has meant that customers are inclined to confuse the two outfits when searching for a website. I warned them at the time, c'est la guerre!
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 26.08. 2017 10:34 »

Thanks Trev and Mike for the clarifications, Mike I don't see lighting on your site, do you not do it anyway(not that I'm in the market at the mo-just curios)...?

http://dynamoregulators.com/
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #19 on: 26.08. 2017 14:24 »
It was this mob CLASSIC DYNAMO & REGULATOR CONVERSIONS LTD (CDRC) who sold me the useless LED headlight bulbs. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 26.08. 2017 23:32 »
don't want to break up a good lynching here, and do agree those double dippers are diabolical (tho maybe ok as daytime running lights). and I am surprised they keep selling them (maybe they bought a million themselves.)
HOWEVER i think the context is LED technology is only now (2017) recently viable as a solution for many things. I've only yesterday put LED lights in our dining room as prior to this point I thought them dull or glarey or 'thin' (I think the technical jargon is low CRI).

What CDRC has done is offer a 6v solution for our bikes and when i last looked no one else was (now it looks like Goffy also offers a 'double trouble' 6V look-alike  *eek*). CDRC appear to also have invested in bringing their 5th gen 6V to market. and they work well (for me at least, tho if you buy one and are unhappy don't lynch me). BTW their 12v 5th gen works even slightly better than the 6v.

So yes, CDRC continue to overhype the inadequate double dipper. And also yes, CDRC are the only outfit I can find who have invested in a decent solution for us 6-volters who want  more lumens on an old lucas E3L. I think they deserve to live.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 27.08. 2017 00:24 »

mikeb- is that where you bought yours (as as per your link) ?  For £60 GBP ?
Australia

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 27.08. 2017 00:34 »
sure is - double trouble and 5th gen (6v and 12v)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 27.08. 2017 01:30 »

At that price (£60gbp) I think I'll persevere with my 6v/35W halogen which at least sometimes might let people know I'm coming even if I don't always see where I'm going *eek*

Australia

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #24 on: 27.08. 2017 10:54 »

Thanks Trev and Mike for the clarifications, Mike I don't see lighting on your site, do you not do it anyway(not that I'm in the market at the mo-just curios)...?

That's right. No lighting from us. Sticking to our area of expertise, electronic replacement regulators. Keeps me and my wife busy, with all the variants, bikes, cars, trucks up to 40 Amps. The only exception is our A7/10 dynamo drive kit.

LED headlights are changing rapidly, as 5 'generations' in fewer years indicates. So much competition around and as a small business you need to find a market niche to survive. All LED lamps suffer from production of a good amount of heat. If not dealt with reliability suffers. The 1,000's of hours reliability figures cited usually refers to LED manufacturers data, with chips run within their ratings at modest temperatures. In practice a bit of a lottery. Sadly the LED's with warmer light output (where the eye works better) are less efficient so more heat again.

As far as inadequate products on the market go I am puzzled at how some regulators continue to sell year after year despite well reported shortcomings. Check out the extravagant claims before parting with the cash. It's a free market I guess but caveat emptor! (buyer beware!).
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 27.08. 2017 11:16 »
....I am puzzled at how some regulators continue to sell year after year despite well reported shortcomings. Check out the extravagant claims before parting with the cash. It's a free market I guess but caveat emptor! (buyer beware!).
I can recomend the DVR2; it's a fit and forget item.  *smile* . Thank you.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #26 on: 27.08. 2017 14:00 »
I can recomend the DVR2; it's a fit and forget item.
Yep, same here, had mine for a number of years well pleased with it. When I bought my bike it was fitted with a regulator that was just to awful for words.