Author Topic: Tool Box Contents  (Read 1339 times)

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
Tool Box Contents
« on: 28.08. 2017 18:31 »
Hi all,

As I recently discovered, a plug spanner and a spare pair of plugs would be very useful additions to my toolbox - what else should my toolbox have? I've got a few spanners, a rag, and a flat head screwdriver.

My next addition will be a bottle opener - you never know when you might need an emergency beer!

Suggestions (both serious and jovial) welcome - let's fill her up.

Thanks,

Sam.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: Tool Box Contents
« Reply #1 on: 28.08. 2017 19:13 »
I was told that the vital element of a Velocette toolkit was a pipe and tobacco. By the time you had got the pipe out, filled it with tobacco, got it lit and had a few draws, you might, just might be calm enough to put your mind to what had gone wrong with the wretched machine this time.
Couldn't possibly apply to a BSA.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.08. 2017 20:59 »
In my tool kit -  fuses (if your wiring them) solderless cable nipples,pilot jet cap for monobloc with fibre washer (yes lost one once), oil tank filler cap (had one stolen in carpark) plus selection spanners.

Good breakdown recovery service which will collect you and bike and take you home irrespective of distance if you cannot fix it and a charged phone to call them.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.08. 2017 22:39 »
Hi all,

As I recently discovered, a plug spanner and a spare pair of plugs would be very useful additions to my toolbox - what else should my toolbox have? I've got a few spanners, a rag, and a flat head screwdriver.

My next addition will be a bottle opener - you never know when you might need an emergency beer!

Suggestions (both serious and jovial) welcome - let's fill her up.

Thanks,

Sam.

No. 8 wire, and duct tape  *smile* Oh, and a hammer
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 28.08. 2017 22:39 »
Range of small to medium sized whitworth and AF spanners. 6” adjustable wrench, universal socket, plug socket, 3/8 drive ratchet, flat and philips screwdriver, a long nail (for roadside finding TDC)
K2F pickups and spare fibre gear (can’t remember if the pinion puller is in there?), fuses, electrical wire, 14g galv wire, electrical alligator connector lead, gaffer tape, high temp silicone, spare 26tpi nuts and bolts of a few sizes. A rag. 2x sparkplugs.

What you don’t think I trust my BSA? But I do! That’s why I carry so many tools.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 28.08. 2017 22:46 »
Tyre levers, puncture repair kit and a pump - or even these CO2 bottles. Handy hint - do your routine servicing and tyre changing using only the tools in your bike toolkit. That way you WILL have the correct things and you will be familiar with using them.
Always a spring link or 2 as well.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.08. 2017 22:46 »
Good breakdown recovery service which will collect you and bike and take you home irrespective of distance if you cannot fix it and a charged phone to call them.
Same here.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #7 on: 29.08. 2017 01:23 »
Assorted Zip ties  *good3*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.08. 2017 03:06 »
 Not to forget spare  throttle,  clutch and brake cables- run in situ/parallel with the ones in use,  and/¿or are"on cable ends(nipples).

Having said all that,  when I got mine on the road again 5 years ago, I was carrying a bagful of stuff *eek*, but over time that's all being left behind
-I've only had to push it home a couple of times  *smile* (that was when I carried everything anyway) *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 29.08. 2017 17:26 »
Spare magneto, generator, light bulbs, chains, sprockets, clutch, battery, tires, tubes........and a trailer to haul all this stuff! Seriously, though, when I toured on old unit construction Brits, I had some wire, electrical connectors, tape, a few combination wrenches and a screwdriver. If it couldn't be fixed with these, it was probably time to rent a truck.

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 29.08. 2017 18:02 »
 I only have my Registration and Insurance card.  I guess when something breaks, I'll know what to carry.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 29.08. 2017 19:13 »
I only carry my Carole Nash break down Number now just in case. Too old too be pushing an A10 home for miles anymore. The last time and the only time the bike let me down it was three miles home and some of that was uphill.

ELLIS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 29.08. 2017 20:10 »
A trailer with another bike on it, *help*
Or just my green flag card.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 30.08. 2017 22:55 »
Many many years ago on my 17th birthday (as it happens) I set out on my A10 with sidecar to go from London to the Lake District.

I carried a comprehensive toolbox, sockets, spanners the whole works. I even took spare bolts and a gasket set. I blew a head gasket, my chain snapped and I ended up using virtually every tool and spare part I had taken.

Since then I decided to carry nothing whatsoever and that has worked for me. The 7 0r 8 times things have gone wrong for me (I mean actually stopping me continuing) I have either been within half a mile of home bar once and I had to call somebody out. That was a mag failure so no amount of tools would have helped anyway. At my age I am ar to old for roadside repairs anyway.

So my solution now is to carry enough money on me for a train or a cab and thats about it  *smile*

I might consider carrying a box of matches tho to set alight to the damned thing if it lets me down

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 31.08. 2017 05:53 »
I might consider carrying a box of matches tho to set alight to the damned thing
then you'll have to carry a fire extinguisher too. and a flame proof suit
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS