Author Topic: Old Motorcycle Mechanics tips  (Read 523 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Old Motorcycle Mechanics tips
« on: 31.08. 2017 16:53 »
How many of you recall a feature that used to be in the old Motorcycle Mechanics magazine called readers tips? I reconnected my chain, today and to save going through all the bother of faffing around slackening the wheel nuts and realigning the wheel I used a cable tie to pull the two ends together  in order to pop the split link in. After I had done the job I remembered that old magazine feature and some of the hints and suggestions sent in by the readers. Some of them were quite bizzare. I recall one person submitting  his idea for an ignition spark intensefier for example. The idea was that you cut the HT lead and pushed a tack into the copper conductors. The two ends of the HT lead were then slid into a piece of clear plastic tube and placed slightly apart so that the spark had to jump the gap. It also provided a visual check said the reader that the ignition system was working. Another idea submitted was a quick and easy time saving fix for a broken wheel spoke. This time the two broken ends of the spoke were prized apart and a Meccano rod joiner was slid over one end of the spoke and the two ends were then lined up and the joiner was the slid into place over both ends and held in postion by the grub screws. Did people really do things like that?
John

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Best Friend
Re: Old Motorcycle Mechanics tips
« Reply #1 on: 31.08. 2017 17:07 »
What do you mean 'still doing', I never gave up!  ;)
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 31.08. 2017 17:27 »
I had the down market version of Mecca-no called Trix, it had no rod joiner that I can recall.
I do remember the HT lead tip, never tried it but I think there might have been a commercial version
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 31.08. 2017 17:28 »
Isn't that "spark intensifier" tip both proven to work, and the principle behind the "Rooster Booster" unit currently on sale?

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 31.08. 2017 19:15 »
We were out on a run in the mid 60s and one bike gave up the ghost. It was a Tiger Cub and the clutch would not drive it at all. We stripped the clutch down and one lad went to the ironmongers and returned with a ball of string. After spending ages taking out the corks from the driven plates and re threading them with the string and the clutch was back working again. I never did find out if he ever put new plates in maybe it worked so well he just left them in there.     *bright idea*

ELLIS

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 31.08. 2017 22:24 »
Don't know if it was in Tips, but again a Tiger Cub but this time with a blown head gasket. Used a few turns of copper wire instead and it worked OK.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Best Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #6 on: 01.09. 2017 03:34 »
ellis, I hadn't seen the word "ironmonger" in years.

'54 GF,  '61 SR,  '71 B50MX

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.09. 2017 11:04 »
I hadn't seen the word "ironmonger" in years.

I ain't seen an Ironmongers in years
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 01.09. 2017 12:19 »
Not many local ironmongers left anymore thanks to place like B&Q Wicks and a few others that have put them out of business. Sad but that's modern day life for you.    *doubt*

ELLIS

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 01.09. 2017 13:54 »
These readers tips were titled "Guinea Gimmicks" - if they publish your tip they send you a guinea ( 21 shillings or £1.05)

A lot of Motorcycle Mechanics articles had alliterative titles - "Camshaft Clues" "Spark sense" Weekend workshop" Technical topic" Wipac Wise" "Headlight Hints" and many more all published mid to late 1960s.

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 01.09. 2017 20:14 »
i ve cut down on the meccano these days as the old girl is a historic tart and mot exempt.
one i never had success with was the 2p pieces inbetween the centre stand spring coils to expand it.
remember that one? i should have asked for my 2/6 back but was young and nieve.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 02.09. 2017 09:42 »
Used the washers in the spring tip last week to remove centre stand spring on goldie. Lower stand, stretch Spring,  insert washers, raise stand, spring falls off. Simples
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 02.09. 2017 10:05 »
Lower stand, stretch Spring,  insert washers, raise stand, spring falls off. Simples

yes indeed, the catch is re-assembly is not quite the reverse  *smile*
All the best - Bill

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 02.09. 2017 11:04 »
Just leave the washers in until refitting. The problem is it doesn't work with a new unfitted spring. I've tried all those bending tips and can't get enough washers in to extend the spring.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 02.09. 2017 11:56 »

i ve cut down on the meccano these days as the old girl is a historic tart and mot exempt.
one i never had success with was the 2p pieces inbetween the centre stand spring coils to expand it.
remember that one? i should have asked for my 2/6 back but was young and nieve.
I tried it too and no success,  but in retrospect, I think I put all the washers in the same side- big mistake...I think the washers need to alternate for'n aft...or even every 90*
 However- I've also realised that on my plunger,  with the stand retracted the spring can be removed/added easily with a bit of thin flat bar
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia