Author Topic: is this the future?  (Read 538 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
is this the future?
« on: 03.01. 2018 21:22 »
i stumbled upon this: https://bsa.in/
piled arms logo and all  *eek*
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: is this the future?
« Reply #1 on: 03.01. 2018 22:26 »
May be when we run out of fossil fuel. Not a second sooner for me.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.01. 2018 08:52 »
Freedom. Fun. Energy. Style. Comfort.

Hmmmm.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.01. 2018 09:46 »
A thought occurred to me the other day while fuelling the car at Morrisons. what's it going to be like when /if electric cars are the norm, there will have to be a charging socket at every car space, petrol stations as we know them just would not cope, then who bears the cost of putting in all that cable/leads/sockets - and what about we rural folks for whom public transport is a distant memory.
Where's Oliver Cromwell when you need him
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.01. 2018 09:55 »
A thought occurred to me the other day while fuelling the car at Morrisons. what's it going to be like when /if electric cars are the norm, there will have to be a charging socket at every car space, petrol stations as we know them just would not cope, then who bears the cost of putting in all that cable/leads/sockets - and what about we rural folks for whom public transport is a distant memory.

Also outside every ones house who does not have a garage.
You can't really have extension leads running across footpaths, with safety and vandals in mind.
Oliver Cromwell, did he have an electric horse ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.01. 2018 10:05 »

It's the past catching up.. *smile*

Bill; someone told me the other day that there are already trial solar roads with integral LED's for line and sign markings that are programmable,  and can be changed to suit the conditions, so if expect changing points as regular as a servo...*dunno*- on the upside, folks'll save heaps on 'medication'  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.01. 2018 10:19 »
i stumbled upon this: https://bsa.in/
piled arms logo and all  *eek*

Ti Group PLC of the UK (now gone, after a merger with Smiths Industries) owned TI Raleigh Cycles amongst many other companies, and Raleigh owned the BSA cycle brand. My guess is that the joint venture company the TI Group set up in India has somehow inherited the BSA cycle brand as a result of the “historical” JV, I doubt they could export to outside of India but you never know eh.

I used to work for a TI Group company (when I lived in the UK), and one day I hope to still get a Pension from whoever owns what’s left of them when I’m 65!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.01. 2018 10:20 »
I reckon we need electric vehicles that use wireless connection for the power.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.01. 2018 10:35 »
there are already trial solar roads with integral LED's for line and sign markings that are programmable,

Wont happen here until some Cabinet minister has a finger in the pie

I reckon we need electric vehicles that use wireless connection for the power.

Could happen in the future but you'd have to sit through a few soaps before it charged cause doctor who is now female (will she know how to use the sonic screwdriver)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.01. 2018 10:48 »
I cannot really see electric vehicles, as they are today, becoming the norm. As you say, the infrastructure to support them would be very expensive. Also there's the recharging time. Who want's to stay put for long periods during a trip? Am I going to arrive at my destination and demand that they refill my car from their own plug? Am I going to pay for it? I still do 10k miles a year, with many long journeys. One of the current, (did you see what I did there?) electric cars just wouldn't suit my lifestyle. Battery tech will have to improve if electric is going to succeed. Maybe the hydrogen fuel cell is the future.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 04.01. 2018 11:34 »
Battery tech will have to improve if electric is going to succeed. Maybe the hydrogen fuel cell is the future.

Well they have a truck and a bus that will do a thousand miles ( doesn't say loaded ), thing is both are big enough to hold a very big battery (size )
All the best - Bill

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.01. 2018 13:02 »
Well, it’s all going hybrid right now isn’t it. And with the ability to recharge the batteries from the engine. Primarily perhaps so as to replace all of the diesels that no-one wants any more.
I’d guess we’ll see that drift continue for the next five years or so, after which they’ll probably have cracked being able to flash charge the battery packs in a more sensible time frame. Our main concern being the continuing availability of gasoline within a tank range of travel, and not being legislated off the road in the meantime (and accepting this already seems to be happening in larger city centres).
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 04.01. 2018 13:34 »
replace all of the diesels that no-one wants any more.

Not sure ther'e talking all Diesels. think it is just older ones with but I'm open to correction.
Was watching "Inside Bentley" their new all terrain vehicle is diesel, you would think Bentley with it's obvious customers in the know would be aware of any forthcoming threats to sales
All the best - Bill

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 04.01. 2018 13:49 »
I agree.  With these tests carried out on commercial vehicles they don't say if the truck was loaded or empty. They wouldn't be doing the tests at night with the lights on or in minus temperatures with the heater going full blast. And don't forget the heated screen/mirrors and wipers. I think they are a long way off yet.

ELLIS

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 04.01. 2018 14:17 »
Big Twin BMW in Boise (worked there before retiring) sold electric bikes for a while. Interesting to ride but they just don't have a suitable (for me) range. Here in the western USA, I find 180 miles (my Guzzi Stone, R90S) to be marginal. Reading at a doctor's office a couple years ago, someone was proposing battery exchange stations as a solution. Seems to me that presents a number of problems. The obvious (compatibility) and battery lifetime among them.  China has built a short stretch of road that somehow supplies electric power to vehicles riding on it. Don't recall the details. Just saw it on the news a couple days ago. Short term memory's not what it used to be.