Author Topic: Oil Filters  (Read 4462 times)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil Filters
« Reply #45 on: 21.01. 2018 10:34 »
My son disabled the bypass valve on his firebird (I know it's a car) so that all the oil had to go through the filter.
One day he had no oil pressure, he checked everything to find out what was wrong. In the end he changed the oil filter and the oil pressure returned. The filter had only done 3,200 miles.
That means that past 3,200 miles none of the oil was being filtered.
From then on we have always changed our oil and filters every 3,000 miles.
So, how do we know how many miles a 2cv filter on a BSA is good for ?
Roy.

Unless you stick a pressure gauge either side of it you won’t know, it’s an act of faith I suppose. Even then there will be variances between brands. There will be filters that are better at filtering small particles out that are more prone to getting clogged as a consequence, and some with more surface area of paper that will be less prone to clogging, and some that only filter big particles out and will never clog. The only sure thing is that a filter will almost certainly do SOME good.

I don’t care if a filter has a bypas or not. It will get changed at max 1500 Miles anyway, surely any filter will not get clogged in 1500 Miles! (But even that is an act of faith).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #46 on: 21.01. 2018 11:30 »
So if the bypass filter operates at 10psi, then the bypass will operate when there is 50psi one side of the filter and 40 the downstream side, or 30/20 or 20/10 etc etc.
If there is a restriction downstream of the filter (say in return pipe the inside the tank) then this will raise the pressure equally throughout the system so BOTH sides of the filter, thus not affecting the bypass operation at all.

Kiwgf, I had to read that over and over to understand it, even though I know you explained it very well. This is something that has puzzled me for some time and I 'somehow' got a certain way of thinking about it in my head so I thought this oil filter topic was a good time to air it. I 'think' I understand it now.

So just to sure, talking oil return pressure from engine to the 'IN' side of a spin-on remote filter: I somehow got it in my head that if the incoming oil pressure to the filter was greater than the designed by-pass setting it would be sensed and would automatically trigger a by-pass of oil, regardless of the condition and effectiveness of the filter element. But from what you say, in reality it actually senses the pressure either side of the filter element (i.e. in and out) and if the difference is not greater than the filters by-pass setting then all will be well *smile* .

Regarding Roy's question and duTch's reply: If the filter became blocked surely you will still see oil returning to the tank because of the filter's by-pass feature *eek* . Also, as far as I can make out if a filter does get clogged up it still isn't black and white and you can get some oil by-passing the filter element and some still going through it - until it gets fully blocked and then all oil is by-passed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And why does my text keep going tiny *sad2* ???

1960 Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 21.01. 2018 12:19 »
back in the day of Citroen CVs and many others using mineral oil and paper filters oils were changed at 3,000 miles 5000 at a stretch (correct me if my memory is wrong), some used to change the oil but change the filter every other oil change.
 this is probably more than most of us do in a year so an annual change should be safest bet
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 21.01. 2018 12:49 »
I cut one of my 850 Commando filters apart after it had been in for two oil changes. It was nowhere near clogged, just a little discoloured. It did have a few tiny flecks of metal here and there.
It seemed like changing the filter every four thousand miles might be overkill, but it's not a big cost or hard to do.

Glen

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #49 on: 21.01. 2018 13:44 »
I suppose today we all do our best to save our BSAs from any catastrophe, not only to conserve them but it’s very expensive otherwise.
I rode Golden Flash’s in the mid 60s to mid 70's as everyday transport. One of them (the one in my profile photo) I rode at least 400 miles just about every weekend for over a year, unless I was home on leave, to travel back and forth from my unit’s barracks in Portsmouth to see my girlfriend in Plymouth. In those days I didn’t have the time or the inclination to change the oil regularly, probably once a year and topping it up in between. There was no fitting of filters in those days either and my Golden Flash always performed superbly. One thing that did always strike me on those journeys was that after about 50 miles the engine would seem a lot quieter and would just hum along doing about 65 - 70 mph where I could on the roads then. It never let me down - nor did it start knocking and banging.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 21.01. 2018 17:25 »
And why does my text keep going tiny *sad2* ???

So, I'm not the only one having that problem! I write most of my forum stuff using this Android tablet and it often inserts a tiny size font tag when I'm editing. Have to Preview and take out the tags. Flipping annoying.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #51 on: 21.01. 2018 18:23 »
See pic. I've found that by highlighting the text (you can select all the text if easier) and then clicking this symbol it changes to the correct size.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #52 on: 21.01. 2018 23:13 »
Yes, I guess that should work; it's the 'Remove all formatting' button; I'll use that next time it happens. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Apologies for going off topic.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 22.01. 2018 18:19 »
Hi Roy and All,

The filters we use on our BSA's are designed to filter quantities of oil that are measured in pints/gallons or litres per minute  *ex*
The capacity of the BSA pumps is tiny by comparison, so in my opinion the filters do not get to anywhere near their
designed filtration capacity before owners change them

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #54 on: 23.01. 2018 03:35 »
That's interesting John  (A101960) that the Paul Goff Filter fits into the flat lid toolbox. That would be the EMGO little black filter.? Many bloggers say they won't fit, but consider me enlightened. (Not that I have a flat lid toolbox). Is it bolted directly to the back of the toolbox to give enough clearance.?
One comment I would make about the filter bypass valve. Some filters do and some don't have them. However, they would only ever open when the filter is near blocked, as the A10 scavenge pump flowrate is so low, as others have said. The pump is capable of high pressures though, and if the filter was blocked, the pressure would build up until the pressure forced the valve to open. So the pressure rating of the filter bypass has nothing to do with the pump oil pressure until the filter gets blocked.
In response to another question, I also read that on the early A7's, the oil pump passes 126.6 pints per hour and the return pump passes 177 pph at 5000 rpm which may help. That came from a blog and was reported to have been said by Bert Hopwood, BSA's Chief Designer to a reporter from "The Motorcycle". I don't know if the later pumps had larger capacity before the A65 came along.
Cheers Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 23.01. 2018 09:23 »

....That's interesting John  (A101960) that the Paul Goff Filter fits into the flat lid toolbox. That would be the EMGO little black filter.? Many bloggers say they won't fit, but consider me enlightened. (Not that I have a flat lid toolbox). Is it bolted directly to the back of the toolbox to give enough clearance.?.......

I'm using a Emgo jobby one, and it is a bit shorter than the original *red* one (origin unknown)...works better for me on my custom-ish Plunger
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #56 on: 24.01. 2018 05:03 »
..That's interesting John  (A101960) that the Paul Goff Filter fits into the flat lid toolbox. That would be the EMGO little black filter.? Many bloggers say they won't fit, but consider me enlightened. (Not that I have a flat lid toolbox). Is it bolted directly to the back of the toolbox to give enough clearance.?.......

The picture below shows one of Goffy's filters fitted in a flat top toolbox. I didn't use the supplied stencil to cut the holes as that would have required me to cut the rear mudguard as well. I also had to omit the supplied spacers  or the filter would have sat too proud to close the lid of the toolbox. I found that I could achieve a bit of clearance behind the filter using a couple of washers. I know it's going to *** oil all over the place when I change the filter, but a rag will sort that out.

Cheers

Tim

Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #57 on: 24.01. 2018 05:10 »
G'day Tim.
I think if you take the oil line off where it exits the motor a few minutes before you remove the filter it will minimize the mess.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #58 on: 24.01. 2018 05:48 »
Muskrat said
G'day Tim.
I think if you take the oil line off where it exits the motor a few minutes before you remove the filter it will minimize the mess.
Cheers

I like that idea!

Cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 24.01. 2018 06:49 »
...take the oil line off where it exits the motor a few minutes before you remove the filter it will minimize the mess....

Don't disagree with that,  but when I installed mine I tried to locate it so it was vertical (screwing up onto the head) but no way...ended up horizontal.
 No big deal, I find it just as easy to just undo the two 5/16"unf  bolts holding the shebang on and drag it out and let it drain however...

**edited** forgot to add the pic for filter orientation... now done
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia