Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129914 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1365 on: 24.08. 2020 19:50 »
Holding the valve open over the firing stroke wouldn't work Neil.

I wasn't being specific about that idea. It was just a thunk.

But I note others aren't interested in what I've been doing with my bikes, despite this particular section dealing with exactly that. Maybe it's above some people's heads, but I thought it would be interesting. Obviously not, so I'll stop posting about it. Maybe stop posting altogether would be an idea too.
Why don't you create a new post about your project.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #1366 on: 25.08. 2020 12:24 »
The main reason I follow this particular thread is to see how RD is getting on and to read the interesting suggestions he receives.
Since he started this project, he has posted numerous times about his struggle to finish his motor.
He has received lots of interest and suggestions from knowledgeable members of the forum over a long time.
There must be heaps of us wanting to share the rest of his journey.
I hope he is big enough to ignore the single thoughtless comment made earlier.
If you can't understand the subjects being discussed, then ask, or study up on it or just move on.
As Eleanor Roosevelt said 'Great minds discuss ideas', 'Average minds discuss events' and 'Small minds discuss people'
The discussion of ideas lifts this forum.
cheers

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1367 on: 25.08. 2020 12:29 »
Holding the valve open over the firing stroke wouldn't work Neil.
But I note others aren't interested in what I've been doing with my bikes, despite this particular section dealing with exactly that. Maybe it's above some people's heads, but I thought it would be interesting. Obviously not, so I'll stop posting about it. Maybe stop posting altogether would be an idea too.

I'm enjoying them and would hate for you to stop. I'm a simple soul so don't get to post anything interesting or useful here, but love all the tales of engineered solutions and clever diagnostics to weird and wonderful problems.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1368 on: 25.08. 2020 13:33 »
Others have put my point better than I. A dedicated topic on RD's build would provide a story with a timeline and a destination to go when wanting to follow that story. We do have other such long-running stories that are enthusiastically followed.

I do appreciate RD's expertise and also like reading the technical descriptions. While beyond what I myself would conceive (by virtue of experience or interest) comprehending his tales, I contend, is not over my head. Perhaps he is simplifying  the topics for broader consumption.

Now, to leave third person, RD, please do  continue with your descriptions any where you want. I don't control the forum and my personal taste for lighter fare on the "What have you done.. " topic is, obviously, not universal.

Richard L.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1369 on: 25.08. 2020 15:30 »
In reply to Richard – I do see your view. Maybe I was getting too deep into a subject and not appreciating others would not necessarily share my enthusiasm about a project where the frame, gearbox and tanks are the only major BSA components. I don’t believe it warrants a thread of its own, but if I post about it again I promise to keep it concise. Completion is hopefully only a couple or so weeks away now anyway.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1370 on: 25.08. 2020 16:27 »
RD,

I think you're underestimating the value of your story, besides, you don't pay by the thread here. In any case, please don't leave out the technically juicy bits on my behalf, because I do appreciate them.

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1371 on: 25.08. 2020 18:51 »
From the deep to the shallow... Replaced the tyres on my wife's mobility scooter with trials tyres. No more struggling with mud and snow as she's out checking the sheep.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1372 on: 25.08. 2020 19:13 »
I definitely need to get a sheep so my wife can go out in the backyard and check it.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #1373 on: 25.08. 2020 20:36 »
I definitely need to get a sheep so my wife can go out in the backyard and check it.
Don’t Richard. Next thing she wants a dog to herd the sheep  *eek*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1374 on: 25.08. 2020 21:17 »
Got the dogs. Can you "herd" one sheep?

But this, I thought it best (considering recent) that I not just BS here on "What have you done..." OK, buddy, go to the garage and do something. Check those plugs to see how the cylinders are burning. Better than I would have thought. My last effort to prevent seize-ups left me with pistons about as loose in the bores as one would think acceptable.

There you go! On topic.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1375 on: 25.08. 2020 22:36 »
From the deep to the shallow... Replaced the tyres on my wife's mobility scooter with trials tyres. No more struggling with mud and snow as she's out checking the sheep.
Can I see a picture of said mobility scooter; I suspect it's a Subaru or a Range Rover, etc?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1376 on: 27.08. 2020 08:53 »
G'day Fellas.
 I drained the sump, charged the battery and washed the A7. Took her for a look around her new home and a blast up Victoria Pass. On the way home stopped at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum for a photo shoot.
Gee I needed that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithgow_Small_Arms_Factory
Cheers
ps: pics over in Just a Picture https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=7964.msg131594#msg131594
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1377 on: 27.08. 2020 12:24 »
Put a new inner in the clutch cable for my pals Serow last night. Will make for a useful spare on the trail.

Replacement screen has turned up for my T3 so that will likely go up on the table Saturday for a full assessment of the crash damage and putting the new screen in place.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1378 on: 31.08. 2020 22:26 »
went for a ride and found out -AGAIN that lots of car drivers are out to kill us. the ride luckily for me only lasted 30 odd miles because in the sunshine it was comfy but when cloud covered it and I was on the hills it was bl--dy chilly. the bonus was easy starting after the nicotine fix and nice tick over when I had to stop. no more embarrassing spit back and stop, won't start  moments since fitting the amal *good3*, shame summers nearly over I will have to get my thermals out to enjoy that cool strong sun that blinds you *beer*

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #1379 on: 01.09. 2020 00:36 »
went for a ride and found out -AGAIN that lots of car drivers are out to kill us.

Same here *angry* club ride tomorrow 80% chance of rain 9 to 19 C. should be fun.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA