Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130697 times)

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1380 on: 01.09. 2020 06:33 »
Committed an act of heresy. Woke the Norton from a 2 year slumber and took it for a brief run. Delighted to say the tin chaincase leak is finally cured! Miracles do happen.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1381 on: 01.09. 2020 10:04 »
Fixed up the damage on Blue the T3 from the slide down the road the other week (I'm OK, someone else was on it at the time - always embarrassing). Might put the crash bars in for rechroming over winter.

Took the Black Pearl (V50 II) out for a test ride Saturday after refitting the gearbox for a second time. No neutral light despite having a new switch, and more importantly - not able to engage first after each time I pull up. Is the box gonna be coming out for a third time?

Sunday I was on my long range SP off roading locally with a couple of chums. Boy is it muddy and wet in places out there. And waterproof MX boots aren't much cop when the water comes over the top. Took 2.5 hours to get the bike properly cleaned up again afterwards.   

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1382 on: 01.09. 2020 20:35 »
G'day Fellas.
Gasket kit arrived last week so today I bought 5 meters of 0.8mm gasket paper. Spent most of the day copying the kit onto the paper, enough for 4 full sets, punched all the holes. Today I'll cut them all out trying not to loose any fingers. Still enough left for a few sets for the Rhonda and HD and probably another few sets for the BSA's. So a $200 roll of paper makes well over $1000 worth of gaskets. Must be the Scott in me!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1383 on: 01.09. 2020 20:50 »
Awkward spelling of "Scot" in that sentence, Musky.

Richard L,

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1384 on: 01.09. 2020 21:12 »
Awkward spelling of "Scot" in that sentence, Musky.
unless talking water cooled two stroke
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1385 on: 01.09. 2020 21:18 »
Flaming keyboard sometimes addds letters sometimes leves them out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1386 on: 01.09. 2020 23:09 »
well musky,  I do hope you tried all your gaskets on a stripped down engine and box because if it's the same set of gaskets I bought and did the same thing I had to alter loads of holes when fitting them to cases, I thought it was my marking out punching and cutting until I tried the ones from the set *problem*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1387 on: 02.09. 2020 10:57 »
Flaming keyboard sometimes addds letters sometimes leves them out.

I've got one like that, combined with auto spellchecker and my English makes for an interesting time.

I'm getting a bit nearer to riding and fettling - new shed built, fitted out with racks (storage - getting to old to go crawling in the loft), old new shed fitted with a bench and now insulating the tin roof, then move the Flash into the new old shed from it's home in the leanto shed, then cleanout the leanto shed next the garage and put the RGF in there for re resto (it's been in the garage and suffered from the damp in there and my neglect unfortunately)

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1388 on: 02.09. 2020 19:08 »
I have been blaspheming heavily today so I will tell you a story. a few years ago now I bought an expensive maggy for the bike so I could save the competition maggy for the berger build. since fitting the new carb everything has been fine until a couple of days ago when betsy beezer started miss firing pulling away from junctions. she would start first kick and tick over and once going didn't have any trouble high up in the revs. last night when I got home after a run out I decided to check for any floating or other bits in the new carb, nothing there so I carried on and had a look at the platinum points. i haven't been in that bit for ages and found a points gap of 6 thou. aha i thought this could be the problem and set them at 12 thou. i then checked pick ups and other bits and put her to bed without trying to start her up. today she fired up and didn't want to do any work at all and i had to go back home after 500 yards. i changed the points for a known good set and checked for a spark on the plugs. every now and then i managed to see a weak spark so i closed the points gap and tried again with both sets of points. at this point i know the maggy is not well and needs medicine. i bench tested my other mag and beautiful fire works come into vision using the same leads etc. so now i have more work*work* to do and more expense, it's a good job i like my bike---- sometimes.    maggy questions to follow in proper bit, thankyou for listening i need several black&tans *beer*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1389 on: 02.09. 2020 19:31 »
Get the Black and Tans down you mate.  I start back at work tomorrow so not getting much done on the bike *sad2*  Life is improving.  The road is looking more inviting.  It's my birthday on Friday!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1390 on: 03.09. 2020 09:30 »
Many Happy Hangovers for Friday Worty.
Had to move all the bikes out of the shed so the sparky could install the new lights and power points. 6 x 4' 5700 lumen LED's and 8 double p/points. Like daylight in there now.
Took the old girl or a short ride to a job interview. They restore old steam engines and loco's. Hope I get it.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1391 on: 03.09. 2020 19:47 »
today I took maggy off and fitted other maggy, o what fun when I've cut the HT leads to suite the angled clip on pick ups and the bolt on ones on this mag have left me 1 inch short and I can't find my spare roll of HT lead--YET! I also studied yet again my manual advance set up and with the lever I have on the handle bars it is full advance with slack cable and cable entry to mag next to barrels . if I remember right people talk of full advance tight cable? or am I talking sh*t  again. any way maggy is on and I hope I got the fag paper release just right. one other thing that has pi**ed me off is the very very expensive cam ring I bought a good few years ago is measuring a gap of 12 and 15 thou it will do I suppose. so to cap off with fags and cups of tea and finding tools etc my 20 minute job has been 3 hours up to now. couldn't resist a piccy while pondering

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1392 on: 03.09. 2020 20:24 »
Berger,
I think a clear plastic timing case would show all that blue off nicely.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1393 on: 03.09. 2020 20:37 »
Full advance with slack wire. Designed that way so if your cable parts, at least you keep running.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1394 on: 03.09. 2020 21:11 »
thanks RD, I sat studying it for ages and not for the first time and talking my way through it again.  clock wise points rotation and tight wire takes cam away from points opening retarding ignition. I have had many hours scratching my head when I think I've read somewhere it was the other way round. just confusing my retarded mind some what. the good news is even though I thought I set it up wrong over the years because of either dreaming it or reading it I haven't.  so if she fires up tomorrow after I find the illusive HT lead a black&tan is well in order  *beer*