Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130499 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1635 on: 23.04. 2021 19:58 »
following on from losing the yonda back axle spacer I found I needed to give the shed a good clean today. the spacer was uncovered under the lathe hidden where it had dropped into the turnings box! I must have knocked it into there a couple of months ago *pull hair out* never mind I got the new shorter back dampers on but I hope they aren't to short

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1636 on: 24.04. 2021 22:00 »
Great ride out today, into rural Wales and back. 85 miles according to google maps, the odometer has stopped sadly, mind it was not exactly accurate. Coffee, tea and a lush bacon sarnie to keep me focused and fuelled up. Got involved in a tussle with one of them BMW boxer sporty things on the way back to Chepstow. Good fun, gave him a run for his money, let him get away in the end obs to save his blushes! Nice to have an unplanned adventure, was only intending a 20 mile ride for coffee. Bumped into a chap called Andy who is the BSAOC international secretary i think. Nice fella tho he seemed a little underwhelmed by my recent repair to the mudguard stay! Picture is not posed as i was on an adventure. Those of an engineering bent will be apalled to hear that the breathing out of oil has increased since my attempts to reduce it with hone, rings and guides. Hey ho, it's starting first kick, goes faster than the frame can handle and i love it. Just need to keep putting oil in!
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #1637 on: 25.04. 2021 01:00 »
I took the '57 out for a shake down run before the DGR & decided to call in to a new bike shop that has just opened for a squizzy.    I parked up out the front & ventured in, turns out it's a Indian motorcycle dealer with loads of bikes on display, NICE if you've got $40 thousand to spare..   I went back out side to find a crowd had gathered around admiring the BSA.. Time to leave after chatting for 15 mins, the bike fires up 1st kick. *smile*
Unfortunately the dealer wouldn't do a straight swap.  *dunno*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1638 on: 25.04. 2021 11:07 »
yesterday was squeal day, i'm not a real lathe turner. I bought a 30£ 1 inch bore side stand from evil bay and attacked it  *work* first of all I found the bsa frame is a tad over one inch . the frame has the half lug welded on so I had to make the stand bit of lug fit nicely, this I did with a nearly perfectly sized grinding wheel. then I ground off the pin and punched it out so I could get the leg off to open up the fixing holes so they lined up with the threaded holes on the frame. luckily after these operations there was still satisfactory meat left so it wasn't weakened too much. I got a stainless bolt [-- A4 is it for those who know these things- I don't]  and turned the head down hence the squeal---- so the spring didn't interfere with it when operating the stand. then cut a piece of rubber with cloth woven in to it that I borrowed from the coal board stores thinking it might come in handy one day. this made a nice cushion against the frame. I fastened the two bolts into the frame lug and put two nylock nuts on just for security, then fed in the stainless bolt and put a nylock nut on that.... 2 hours later--- IT WORKS!!! I have seen some very expensive side stands on evil bay for BSA's but this will do -- I hope. then I got a pleasant surprise, the neighbour had got me a slab of john smiths as a reward for clearing the very over grown fancy paving slabs in her lawn *beer*   thankyou for listening especially if you heard the squeal, have a nice day.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #1639 on: 25.04. 2021 11:46 »
especially if you heard the squeal, have a nice day.
Only bit of the pig we can't eat Bergs.
I did similar some years ago, but not perhaps as elegantly as you. Used a big chunk of hex bar for the long bit, brazed a tang on the end, made the detachable lug rather like you did, meaty as possible round the 'oles and for the slotted bit (starting with an old side-car lug as I recall)   . . .  and it also worked. Trust it? I did, until I reverted to twin exhausts from siamese . . .  and found the darn thing was trapped 'twixt frame and lh pipe owing to, ahem, an unanticipated oversight on the angles of dangle. Doh!
Bill

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1640 on: 25.04. 2021 19:32 »
First ride out today since winter layoff, new Mitas tyres and SRM oil pump and PRV.
Tyres seem OK in the dry, covered in mould flashing, rubbing on front mudguard, should wear off after a few more miles
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1641 on: 25.04. 2021 21:14 »
Being the FBHVC's ride it day plus blue skies and sunshine, I thought I'd abandon the gardening for a while and ride a bike. It was the Velo's turn to be dragged blinking into the daylight so had a run on that. Loads of other modern bikes out plus a few classic sports cars. Bike pictured near some other museum pieces.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1642 on: 25.04. 2021 21:24 »
G'day Fellas.
I got the Cafe's head back on after doing the time-sert job on the spark plug holes. I had to turn up a guide to spot face the holes for the flange of the ts, then found they protruded into the combustion chamber so adjusted the guide to face off that bit. The $5 dollar water tap re-seating tool has saved the day again.
Before mounting the head I measured the combustion chambers. Both exactly 38cc. She's got +80 MC forged 10.5:1 pistons (offset gudgion) so tonight I'll lay her over to get the plug holes vertical and measure the combustion space. Hopefully their equal.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1643 on: 26.04. 2021 21:09 »
G'day Fellas.
Bugga, bugga, bugga.
Well you would have heard the cussing in London. I have felt that one side was a bit stronger than the other and my findings have proved it.
The difference between the two is 5cc   *pull hair out*. That's a hell of a lot and would be the volume of the piston crowns. By my calcs the left is 13.5:1 and the right is 17:1  *eek* (no wonder she's hard to kick over)  *ex*
Tonight she comes back down to investigate. I have a set of +80 Gandini flat tops but will need to find rings (any ideas?).
That'll teach me for just throwing it together after the "big bang".
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1644 on: 26.04. 2021 23:44 »
Hi Musky,
Cox and Turner supply rings by the size needed if You cannot find anything down under

https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1645 on: 27.04. 2021 08:23 »
Started polishing the forks.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1646 on: 05.05. 2021 21:52 »
 Well a few weeks ago i phoned a well known yonda parts supplier to buy two throttle cables for the yonda. after 5 minutes explaining what bike it was and pointing out the cables were for a japanese  market FZ which resembles the 900f he said yes we will have to order those in so you should have them in two weeks.  they sent the wrong ones!!!! so i had to do all the explaining again and now i have the correct ones, so today has been a yonda carb rubbers hair dryer day *pull hair out* got the throttle cables on put carbs back on and tightened them all up and then found the choke cable had come out *bash* so it was carbs off carbs on carbs off carbs on, at least i was a bit warm with all the hair dryer heat. over the last few days the petrol tank has had the apple cider vinegar treatment and ounces of rust have been removed, it's now looking remarkably clean inside.  the front brakes should be bled tomorrow and all being well the yonda should be ready for the tarmac in a couple of weeks *yeah*  *beer*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1647 on: 06.05. 2021 09:27 »
Pulled the Swiftmobile out at the weekend. Pumped up the tyres and gave it a wash and brush up. Running slightly off beat so I freshened the fuel and had a quick look at the carb. Then a ride around the lanes. Went OK.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1648 on: 06.05. 2021 11:27 »
Set up for fuel tank rust removal. I left it empty for a few weeks, which eventually stretched to 12 months.
I decided on rattling screws / water/ detergent, then electrolysis, finishing off with Phosphoric acid rinse.
I started with a new Indian made tank - wondering whether I should have creamed it from the beginning.!
I'll report back if successful in a week or so.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1649 on: 06.05. 2021 11:52 »
hi col i put some square section nuts in the yonda tank and 42 went in but only 41 came out, one must be jammed in a seam. i also lost the head off a telescopic magnet but just managed to recover that with another magnet *pull hair out* i must say the apple vinegar worked very well.