Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129920 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #225 on: 20.09. 2018 09:59 »
I do GB. No pressure on anyone not going but they really might consider attending, they won't regret it.   *good3* *whistle*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #226 on: 20.09. 2018 15:32 »
I found today that the sea air really is NOT good for a classic motorcycle. Orangy corrosion colour on the chromework. Bike is now back on trailer this morning ready for journey home....  Tomorrow I'll be gently washing off sea salt before it gets too bad.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #227 on: 20.09. 2018 19:14 »
I found today that the sea air really is NOT good for a classic motorcycle. Orangy corrosion colour on the chromework. Bike is now back on trailer this morning ready for journey home....  Tomorrow I'll be gently washing off sea salt before it gets too bad.

You have to make sure the bike looks it's best for the DGR ride on Sunday!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #228 on: 20.09. 2018 20:16 »
I fitted the pillion footrest adapters today. They look mighty fine! I tidied my shed and fitted an LED twin lamp, like this  https://goo.gl/ndGV3W in the roof. The shed is now much better to work in. I intend to take the head off the bike tomorrow.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #229 on: 21.09. 2018 13:13 »
 Got up at 2 AM, and tore into the primary and gearbox completely apart.

The bike still shifts terribly when things warm up.

The mail says my colortune is in town, and once the package from amal arrives I will be able to sort that out.

Wife and I both have off of work today, so I am sure she will keep me busy with not very important stuff. *sad2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #230 on: 21.09. 2018 13:24 »
Wife and I both have off of work today, so I am sure she will keep me busy with not very important stuff. *sad2*
Before I retired I thought I'd have endless days of me-time; dinghy sailing, reading, programming, listening to music, hobbying and of course BSA'ing. My wife and I are pretty handy DIY'ers so we've been able to make the most of the house we moved into four years ago. Of course, doing stuff yourself takes less money but takes more time.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #231 on: 21.09. 2018 13:30 »
Know what you mean, Greybeard. I retired some years ago, but the list of jobs that need doing just get longer. And getting older means things take twice as long to do. And then there's those I just can't do anymore. Will need to live to 150 to get my jobs done - and that's presuming the list doesn't grow. Which of course it will.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #232 on: 21.09. 2018 14:45 »
The problem with DIY is that you are doing things for the first time which is why it takes so much longer than getting in a professional who has done it thousands of times before to do it. But still we persist...
Whipped a fork leg off the Star Twin to replace a leaky oil seal. Went to my oil seal stash and found none of them were for BSA forks. Damn. That's the bike off the road for a few days now whilst the new seals arrive. Note plural seals. Never buy just one of a spare, especially when your stash is exhausted.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #233 on: 21.09. 2018 15:53 »
I tidied my shed and fitted an LED twin lamp, like this  https://goo.gl/ndGV3W in the roof. The shed is now much better to work in.

The lamp looks good. As you get older you need more light!  I bought an LED strip about a year ago and still haven't gotten around to fitting it. Maybe now is the time with grey winter days approaching......

Just about to head off to the shed to put the A10 clutch cover back on - again. I am really not sure what I did wrong but the SRM clutch slipped worse than before I tightened up the springs :-(
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #234 on: 21.09. 2018 16:25 »
Just about to go for a ride on Wednesday morning and the petrol tap plunger cork leaked. Decided to try the steam method to revive them but both were well past there best.
So ordered some new corks and fitted them today and now all ok, replaced all the washers/seals associated with the Taps so should get a ride out tomorrow.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #236 on: 24.09. 2018 13:47 »
Building plunger No 3 And am ever grateful to the Forum and the person who posted the concept of inserting Washers between spring coils to extend the centre stand return spring. I must be getting old as I even measured the distance required and then made sure I had extended the spring sufficiently. it slipped on like a welding glove.  *conf*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #237 on: 25.09. 2018 10:39 »
Good one Gavin  *wink2*
I tried that ONCE *ex* must have had too much grease around. Nearly lost a tooth from an errant washer at high speed  *eek* *sick*
I've been doing battle with a 1980 Yamaha Passola SA50. Hadn't run for 20 years. Practically NO info on the net. Someone worse than me did some creative electrical work, no spark. Put back to std, made an air filter, clean carb and plug and a gut full of "Start ya bastard". She ran, a few tweaks and pumping out all the old oil in the crank case and muffler as smoke. Cleared in a few minutes. Running like a Singer (sowing machine). Job done put all the plastics on.
Morning before work I'll give her a start up. 50 kicks later I give up and go to work. Vacuum operated choke diaphragm leak. Bugga, "hens teeth". Fixed with super glue. Started cold 2nd kick. Job done.
Now the bathroom tap.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #238 on: 25.09. 2018 13:05 »

**NB; This relates to **Plunger Models**

.... the concept of inserting Washers between spring coils to extend the centre stand return spring.....

....didn't have any luck with the washers or coins but accidentally discovered an even easier way by using a piece of thin flat bar (like a metal ruler) just wide enough to slide through the eye of the spring and slip the end of the flat under the spring -holder lug thingy, then slide the spring off the flat onto the lug...helps if the stand is in the loosest position (up or down, can never remember, but not hard to work out)

I'm fairly sure I posted about it at the time....

**edit quick search- Found a reference here;

Re: Old Motorcycle Mechanics tips
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 21:56:39 »

Modify
    Remove

i ve cut down on the meccano these days as the old girl is a historic tart and mot exempt.
    one i never had success with was the 2p pieces inbetween the centre stand spring coils to expand it.
    remember that one? i should have asked for my 2/6 back but was young and nieve.

I tried it too and no success,  but in retrospect, I think I put all the washers in the same side- big mistake...I think the washers need to alternate for'n aft...or even every 90*
 However- I've also realised that on my plunger,  with the stand retracted the spring can be removed/added easily with a bit of thin flat bar

...and an earlier effort here;

Re: new member has a spring Question
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:40 »

**NB; This relates to **Plunger Models**
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #239 on: 25.09. 2018 16:18 »
Is this about getting the spring/centrestand on the frame.  After battling with the spring with pliers, an old sage showed me how.  Attach spring to centrestand and frame lug.  Position centrestand so that the spindle will go in the hole nearest the spring then force the other end into position before bashing the spindle through with a soft faced hammer.  Harder to do by yourself but only a few minutes with two. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250