Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129751 times)

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #345 on: 18.11. 2018 23:13 »

that nice moist winter air makes em purrrrrrrrr *

Had no idea that the moist cold air could improve running on A10! Am i being a bit simple? (probably). Is the engine running in part on steam? Whatever, the gods of BSA have been smiling on me so not bothered. Hurrah for when the thing starts, runs well, idles and gets me home and all i have to do is sit on her(?) and smile. Happy days indeed.
Note: Is it good form to genderise/anthropise(?) my bike. I've had it/her/thebike for nearly as long as the mrs.
Ps. this forum provides great therapy, thanks to all concerned esp admin and Berger's pub landlord!
 *computer* *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #346 on: 18.11. 2018 23:34 »
its the oxygen content so I was told, like errr H20 maannn one hydrogen 2 oxys and when its damp there's more oxy's *fight* *bash* *whistle* *dunno* *sarcastic* *grins* PUB tomorrow yay *beer* *beer* *dribble*  edit yeah I was told right all those years ago, just goooglied it  cold air is denser which means the number of oxy molecules entering is greater than in hot thinner air. BIG JIM you only turn your bike into steam power after the crap petrol has sucked the moisture into the tank like mine did a few years ago before I started using a rocket fuel mix called tetraboost.- disclaimer - that product has nothing to do with me but it even stopped my carb jets varnishing up---------- CHEERS!

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #347 on: 19.11. 2018 03:47 »
its the oxygen content so I was told, like errr H20 maannn one hydrogen 2 oxys and when its damp there's more oxy's *fight* *bash* *whistle* *dunno* *sarcastic* *grins* PUB tomorrow yay *beer* *beer* *dribble*  edit yeah I was told right all those years ago, just goooglied it  cold air is denser which means the number of oxy molecules entering is greater than in hot thinner air. BIG JIM you only turn your bike into steam power after the crap petrol has sucked the moisture into the tank like mine did a few years ago before I started using a rocket fuel mix called tetraboost.- disclaimer - that product has nothing to do with me but it even stopped my carb jets varnishing up---------- CHEERS!
Was probably `Carbon Tetrachloride` now banned but was used for cleaning ink printers and pipe thread, cheers 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #348 on: 19.11. 2018 08:53 »
'Carbon tet' as I used to know it is almost inert and was used in fire extinguishers (and cleaning BSA's many years ago when I worked at Pfizers) so not a fuel booster!

More likely tetraethyl lead booster.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #349 on: 19.11. 2018 10:30 »
      The nice smooth and powerful running is all to do with the volumetric efficiency.  The most effective and economic result  of the chemical reaction that gives the power takes place where the combustion partners are in the ideal ratio by weight. So, when the density of the air is greatest, the weight of air drawn into the cylinder is correspondingly greatest. Then the mixture approaches the ideal stoichiometric ratio,  a mixture strength  where every hydrocarbon molecule can find a corresponding oxygen molecule partner.  More hydrocarbons left unreacted...too rich mixture, wasting fuel. Too much air... weak mixture, poor power, possible overheating, engine damage. The ratio for gasoline varies for true complete efficient combustion, depending on fuel blend, but is around 14.7/1 air/fuel.

This ideal scenario is best experienced on a warm, but humid, generally Summertime late evening run.  Your motor runs smoothly, the World is in Harmony, your worries seem far away.  Oh, forget all that theory, any clanker runs better after a couple of beers.

Ain't that so berger?

Swarfy.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #350 on: 19.11. 2018 10:46 »

When I rode my Gutzzi every day several miles to work rain hail or shine  *conf*, I noticed it ran better when cold and/or wet.... my Ma married a guy who had lots of stories about Model 'T's' and one was using a OHV head on a Side-valve engine for 8 valve head..... *dunno*... and another yarn was they used to tie a water bottle to the windscreen with a drip feed to the carby....'Water- Injection' reckoned that worked a treat, but I never really knew if I should believe him anyway....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #351 on: 19.11. 2018 11:19 »
Bought an SP370 the other week. Managed to get an MOT on it last Saturday and so with lovely weather over the Essex badlands yesterday I took it out on a shake down run to the Essex branch Moto Guzzi Club monthly meet up. Kind of went kind of OK. Concerns;

. Clutch do stick after she's been standing. Took off across the yard and into the fence on first gear selection. Oops.
. Not convinced the electrics are right, and it's 6V as standard. Blew a filament in the new headlamp bulb I'd fitted to get the ticket last week.
. It's a bit soft and gutless after the Morini Camel (500) it is supposed to be replacing.
. Awful lot of transmission slack with a chain that seems to be adjusted about right.
. Easy starter on the kicker though

Early days I suppose.

Other point of interest - ended up in Finchingfield and saw a guy there firing up his Gold Star on electric start. Seemed to work OK.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #352 on: 19.11. 2018 14:15 »
Changed the mag on the Star Twin this morning. Timing spot on first attempt! Realised it really does need a good clean, it's disgustingly filthy.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #353 on: 19.11. 2018 14:26 »
Sav yes carbon tet is what my dad used for cleaning processes ,  soldering etc. tetraboost is xylene[ mixed isomers] , 1,2-dibromomethane-1,2 dichloroethane- tetraethyle lead.----- swarfy yes even warm and moist makes the old girls perform better *eek*

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #354 on: 19.11. 2018 19:45 »
Filth.
 *shh* *beer*

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #355 on: 19.11. 2018 20:03 »

When I rode my Gutzzi every day several miles to work rain hail or shine  *conf*, I noticed it ran better when cold and/or wet.... my Ma married a guy who had lots of stories about Model 'T's' and one was using a OHV head on a Side-valve engine for 8 valve head..... *dunno*... and another yarn was they used to tie a water bottle to the windscreen with a drip feed to the carby....'Water- Injection' reckoned that worked a treat, but I never really knew if I should believe him anyway....

All of the well-worn petrol vehicles I've owned, including my current Fiat Panda, go better when there is moisture in the air.
I've also read, somewhere, that old time agricultural engines that ran on paraffin/kerosine had water injectors to aid the burn.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #356 on: 19.11. 2018 21:17 »
 Yes - moister air being denser gives the same effect as a lift in compression
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #357 on: 19.11. 2018 21:24 »
Several aircraft used water/methanol injection for extra boost - Griffon engines on Shackletons and Pegasus engines on Harriers. Increases the charge density.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Rookie_V#60

• Rudolph the rednose rendeer
  • A's Good Friend
  • Je oller je doller
« Reply #358 on: 20.11. 2018 08:17 »
Done the overdue decoke of my Ariel Square Four MKII.

Today I had time to remove the cylinder head, a simple straightforward job. Had no problems and could even leave the carburetor on the intake manifold, one source of failure less.

The charcoal on the pistons and in the combustion chambers were relatively easy to remove. The pistons are still STD and the bores are in spec.
After cleaning I found - as already suspected - that one of the outer bolts was pulled out of the thread. Have now installed a Helicoil insert.

And thanks to Simes "rule of nine" ( http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/2018/10/rule-of-nine.html) adjusting valve clearances is more simple and more exact.

After reassembly, a test for proper function, check of oil supply to the head and leak detection (You see I found one!).
https://youtu.be/IUmCqup234E

Cheerio Rudy
1923 James Model 12 500ccm v-twin
1926 Douglas EW 350ccm flat-twin
1936 Motosacoche 500ccm single
1948 BSA A7 Longstroke 500ccm parallel-twin
1955 Ariel Square Four MKII
1960 C1, 1967 C2, 1979 C3-gone!

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #359 on: 01.12. 2018 23:01 »
Took the other bike on a Santa ride out for the childrens hospice. Great day, most enjoyable riding through town with at least 700 Santa. Moving to see some of the children with their families when we got there.
 *good3*