Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129771 times)

Offline Collide

• Active
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #450 on: 10.03. 2019 04:37 »
Disassembled the sidecar  ready for restoration  hung the wiring loom fitted the cables fuel tank tomorrow cylinder and head......

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #451 on: 11.03. 2019 11:43 »
Put the newly powder coated bits on the SP project. Which meant I could refit the battery in its new carrier. Completed the thin fuel tap to fat carb inlet plumbing. Bike started up first kick. Lost the rev counter bulb (part of the 6v – 12v hop up) on the ride round the block. Stuck 10 l in the new long range tank and the plumbing looks like it will hold up under pressure. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #452 on: 19.03. 2019 16:18 »
Not been too well this year so today was first ride on a bike since before Xmas. 85 miles completed on the A10SR after oils and filter change yesterday, never missed a beat pleased to say.

Nice run in good company with the 'Coffin Dodgers' group to Oasis Café on Romney Marsh for lunch.

Back home and trying to warm up now!
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #453 on: 19.03. 2019 17:20 »
Gearbox build on the B
New head gasket on the A

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #454 on: 20.03. 2019 16:08 »
Finally got the A10 back together and started her damik  *fight* see post on https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13251.msg116049;topicseen#msg116049
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #455 on: 20.03. 2019 17:41 »
Main has blown outside the house again. Third time in two years, second time in two months. Left a goodly layer of unpleasant detritus over things.  Had to pull the four bikes from the bike port whilst a team worked their way over the drive way with jet washers. Then pushed them all back in (I counted them all out and I counted them all back);

A10, SP special, Loop, Camel.

And the exertion made me feel mighty old. Fortunately the waves of ill fortune only just lapped to the front door of the garage.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #456 on: 21.03. 2019 19:18 »
today I looked in betsy beezers oil tank to see if she had done the dreaded weeing in the crank case , she's been stood since November and just had a couple of kick overs once a month. so pleased that the oil level was the same so I jumped on the kicker and jumped on the kicker and swore a lot and jumped even more. kept getting spit backs and playing with the manual lever lost the kick backs but no joy. the thing is I fitted a mikuni carb with just a choke lever and haven't mastered it yet, at one point I thought about putting the amal back on and giving it some tickling stick :-\ , but I remembered what dad used to do with the old moggy thou in cold damp weather- even though it wasn't cold and damp *bright idea* and warm the plugs up. yes she burst into life *clap* and I had a little ride up the road, when I returned I had a cuppa and things and then jumped on the kicker again and she fired up...I must master this bloomin carb which apart from first cold start is very good.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #457 on: 22.03. 2019 09:26 »
G'day fellas.
After a recent layshaft blind bush replacement and layshaft swap the kick and gear levers were a little stiff. I noticed that the tightening sequence of the outer cover made a difference. Looking at the dowels in the outer cover they looked a lot 2nd hand, after 60+ years of on and off. Got some new ones today (plus a few spares) and all is well again.
Still have problems with the after market kick lever. The cotter pin needs tightening after only a few kicks. Eventually the pin pushes straight through. The problem stems from the large hole is a little big and the pin hole is too high. I've run out of hardened shim to place on the shaft flat. It helps for a while. One day I'll get a new kicker. It gets a hard life pushing over 10.5:1 compression.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #458 on: 22.03. 2019 10:30 »
I’d arranged to ride my pals Serow (XT225) to his gaff from mine last night after which he was giving me a lift home.

First up the battery was too enfeebled for the starter to light up the engine. Second up I was too enfeebled to bump start the little thing. Jump leads and the currently removed T3 battery did the trick. That and a whole lot of cussing.

Next, he has some pretty extreme knobblies fitted on the bike and the handling was beyond nasty. Each roundabout had me longingly looking for the exit. Outside of that it’s a spunky little bike – quickly gaining speed and very slick through the 6 speed box. Happy enough to hand it over though.

This weekend I now have all the required parts on the plot to bolt my T3 back together. That’s an all new clutch, lighter LM flywheel, and a much worked on gearbox – dogs on three of the gears needed welding and machining; mysteriously missing roller from the main bearing. Reckon it’s going to be a long day in the garage on Saturday. If I can get ahead of the curve I might just get the newly finished SP special out for a quick go on the dirt Sunday afternoon.   

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #459 on: 22.03. 2019 11:39 »
Still have problems with the after market kick lever. The cotter pin needs tightening after only a few kicks. Eventually the pin pushes straight through. The problem stems from the large hole is a little big and the pin hole is too high. I've run out of hardened shim to place on the shaft flat. It helps for a while. One day I'll get a new kicker. It gets a hard life pushing over 10.5:1 compression.
Cheers
De Groot has oversize pins; https://degroot-bsa.nl/product/kickstarter-cotter-oversize-en/
Installed one on the SA about 4 years ago. Still holding well.

Regarding the bikes, finally got round installing an oil filter on the SA.
It consists of a kit for a Citroen 2CV with a screw on Champion oil filter.
Got it nicely tucked away in the toolbox with still room left for some (small) tools.
Got one ready for the Plunger also, but there some nice weather coming up so that 'll have to wait
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #460 on: 22.03. 2019 19:32 »
G'day morris.
I have o/s pins. Still needs a shim. *rant*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #461 on: 22.03. 2019 21:00 »
G'day morris.
I have o/s pins. Still needs a shim. *rant*
Cheers
Already thought you had. Other measures needed then.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #462 on: 22.03. 2019 22:43 »
Busy with winter fettle, Its  guinnessoclock and i can't remember where i put the thing that goes in the other thing! Luckily i found another can and removed myself from the area.
 *beer* *bright idea* *beer* *beer* *bash* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #463 on: 23.03. 2019 04:07 »
G'day BJ.
You probably put it on the can, it fell in and then you crushed the can!
Been there done that.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #464 on: 23.03. 2019 08:58 »
Jim..That is unashamed LUXURY. I can see how you are spending your recent good fortune. Also note the most prominent workshop tool, in the foreground, the Brummie Screwdriver.

Today I cleaned up some A7 rods, Autojumble purchase, only to find on removing the cap and old shells that I had one with the locating tab groove a bit bruised. Bugger, that's twice now.

Swarfy.