Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129148 times)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #495 on: 02.04. 2019 22:21 »
Tidied and rearranged stuff in my shed. I'm trying to get some enthusiasm to work on the Beezer.

I've had a piece of bright sheet metal that I think is Stainless Steel for some years. I think I picked it up somewhere, like in the road, or something, I can't remember. It's about a millimetre thick. I previously had it fixed to my workbench at our last house. I remember the trouble I had then making a hole through it, (see picture). My current bench is narrower so I decided to cut this material. My Jig-saw with a metal cutting blade barely marked it. I had to use an aluminium oxide cutting disc in my angle grinder. Next job was making holes through it for my vice. I remembered someone here recommending using a masonry bit to drill tough materials. I buggered up a series of drill bits making pilot holes and enlarging them to 1/2" so the vice bolts could pass through. Anyway, the job is done now. I just wondered if you could tell me what it is that I have been working on.

Hi GB
See if it is magnetic - stainless steel isn't. Yes it can be a bugger to drill. I remember having to cut a hole in a kitchen sink for a mixer tap - had to use a pillar drill and trashed four circular cutters.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #496 on: 02.04. 2019 22:56 »
I have not been to the pub *eek* some stainless steels are magnetic , really old stainless kitchen sinks are not magnetic but new crap stainless sinks are, if I get this correct its ferritic stainless that is magnetic . the same applies to bolts washers , nuts etc . all I know is if you don't use plenty of coolant it work hardens *pull hair out* ruins drills *problem* and is a pain in the backside, as I have known all too well over the years *bash*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #497 on: 02.04. 2019 23:31 »
It's not magnetic.

Ah, work hardens, eh? That might explain how a sharpened masonry bit appeared to cut well at first but then struggled.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #498 on: 02.04. 2019 23:52 »
greybeard the other day I picked up a piece of dirty 12mm threaded bar  locked two nuts together and proceeded to drill through the nuts and bar .coming to an abrupt halt I looked in the hole and it was glowing, ruined the drill got a new one and tried again, no go! two ruined drills, it was stainless bar, tried to get the nuts off and could just make them squeak half a thread then locked solid, similar to chromed bolts picking up on the threads, not good and no good as a splinter in your finger *eek*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #499 on: 03.04. 2019 00:36 »

I've learned that cutting oil/compound is essential for drilling stainless, but still haven't figured the best stuff
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #500 on: 03.04. 2019 07:38 »
Tidied and rearranged stuff in my shed. I'm trying to get some enthusiasm to work on the Beezer.

I've had a piece of bright sheet metal that I think is Stainless Steel for some years. I think I picked it up somewhere, like in the road, or something, I can't remember. It's about a millimetre thick. I previously had it fixed to my workbench at our last house. I remember the trouble I had then making a hole through it, (see picture). My current bench is narrower so I decided to cut this material. My Jig-saw with a metal cutting blade barely marked it. I had to use an aluminium oxide cutting disc in my angle grinder. Next job was making holes through it for my vice. I remembered someone here recommending using a masonry bit to drill tough materials. I buggered up a series of drill bits making pilot holes and enlarging them to 1/2" so the vice bolts could pass through. Anyway, the job is done now. I just wondered if you could tell me what it is that I have been working on.
hi Lawnmower Man, we normally use a ‘chassis punch’ for installing those deck faucets, 35mm

Hi GB
See if it is magnetic - stainless steel isn't. Yes it can be a bugger to drill. I remember having to cut a hole in a kitchen sink for a mixer tap - had to use a pillar drill and trashed four circular cutters.

Jim
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #501 on: 03.04. 2019 10:52 »
G'day GB.
Some stainless is a little magnetic. I use masonry drills sharpened like a normal drill. Needs a special grinding wheel to sharpen it (green silicon carbide). Stainless needs to be cut/drilled with a lot of continuous pressure at a good speed and coolant/oil. HSS drills will do it but again continuous pressure at a slower speed. Never let a tool just rub. it will loose it's edge quickly.

Been pulling down a 1976 HD FX motor. Oh the horrors. Some people shouldn't have tools  *ex* *work*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #502 on: 03.04. 2019 11:02 »
 I worked with Stainless steel all my working life fabricating welding etc. Stainless steel comes in a variety of grades the most common is 304 which has 18%chromium and 8 % nickel when you buy stainless bolts for your bikes it will be 304 it has a good corrosion resistence. The higher grade 316 is 16%chromium 10%nickel and 2%molydenum this is used for marine work and in the food industry and is highly corrosion resistant paricularly sea salts. You cannot tell the difference in the grades just by looking they look the same. As for drilling you need a good quality tungsten carbide drill which is sharp  and use a  cutting fluid and not a high speed drill as you will just burn out the drill and once the stainless gets hot i.e. blue heat then your drill will be useless.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #503 on: 03.04. 2019 11:21 »

Hi GB

Jim

From memory of working with stainless decades ago........“austenitic” types of stainless aren’t magnetic, the other types ARE magnetic.

Austenitic stainless (eg. 304, 316, 321 grades etc) are non magnetic but there is stainless that is magnetic (often cutlery is non austenitic and so magnetic). The inclusion of nickel in stainless makes it non magnetic but not all stainless contains nickel.

Some stainless work hardens and so is a bugger to machine (if 5he tool slips etc) others don’t work harden

I’m sure a metallurgist will pop up and enlighten us!

Didn’t work on the bike today but did tart up the nz bsa web site (bsaoc.co.nz) a bit more.....thats vaguely a10 related
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #504 on: 08.04. 2019 13:06 »
Took my old girl for a run around the block yesterday. First time I've fired her up in a couple of months and also since I resealed the rocker box a while back. No wet sumping to deal with and though it took a few kicks she was keen enough. Ran nicely too.

Clutch felt heavy after the other stuff I have been running recently, and I was reminded that there was just a little slip under load last time out. Still running the much derided 6 spring so it could be I should be looking for an alternative rather than pulling the springs down any more.

Anyway once I was back I gave her a wash and brush up and then a wipe over with an oily rag. Picked up a little corrosion in the 10 years since I've had this one back on the road - chrome tubes on the forks being probably the worst.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #505 on: 08.04. 2019 14:29 »
Took the finally reassembled A10 for a test run around the block. Runs really nicely (well she should I have not touched any of that), clutch slips a bit so some adjustment required there and I still have not got the rear brake right  *pull hair out* *angry*. The foot rest needs to go lower as it is a combination of all three, the brake arm lever on the splined cross over shaft, the foot peddle, also on a spline on the other end of the cross shaft and the footrest in the splined adaptor that acts as a stop for the foot peddle. Current all angles are correct as the break begins to bite, but the foot peddle travels to far to to get to this point. I will give it one more go.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #506 on: 08.04. 2019 18:16 »
Angus, it could be the cable. If new, the wrong one or the right one but with an error in the comparative lengths of inner and outer. Old cable? Check for stretch in the outer as this lost movement must be compressed before any force can come on the hub brake  lever.

Regards,

Swarfy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #507 on: 08.04. 2019 21:25 »
G'day Fellas.
Sunday I took the rHonda on her first ride after rebuild. Going perfect. Thought I'd check under the motor. What better way to inspect it than sliding down the road next to her at 60mph *ex*
Lucky we were on the soft green bit between the bitumen and treeline before parting company. It was on a narrow country road over Saddleback Mountain. Parts never see the sun and are a bit mossy. Down hill right hand bend going twice the recommended speed hit the moss, kiss my ass good by.
F/all damage to the bike, I'm a bit banged up in both hips but was able to ride the 80 miles home. Using crutches to get around now.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #508 on: 08.04. 2019 22:35 »
Oh man Musky! I'm really sorry to hear this. Do take good care of yourself and have all the fixable bits on you tended to.

(Now, the humor.) it's unbelievable that the very first time you exceed the speed limit you get into a crash. So, did you find any leaks? You say the bike had little damage. I also assume it gathered no moss while rolling.

Hope you report better, soon.

Richard L.

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #509 on: 08.04. 2019 22:52 »
Muskrat, I bet that hurt. Up my way, the Bulahdelah mountain was bypassed some 10 years ago- a winding road in the forest, and I thought what a great blast it would be now the traffic has gone.  However, it had been unused for about 6 months and the road was now covered in green slime and leaves. With a long sigh I toodled along enjoying the scenery instead with one foot down. No crutches needed.

Yesterday pulled down the GF top end, with determination to check Everything. I think I found 99% of the reason for the smoke fairly quickly. The LHS Small end bush was reamed off-square. There was a 9 thou difference from Left to Right on the piston top at TDC. ie it tilts to the right. I could put a feeler gauge down the left side at 17 thou, Couldn't get the 1&1/2 one in on the right side of the piston. Last thing I expected!! The piston rings were probably acting like an oil pump. Explains why it always took 30 seconds for the smoke to start. Bores look OK and are parallel - 18.50 mm between cylinders top and bottom.
The RHS piston is square within 1 thou. It doesn't smoke.

Now whether to try bush replacement & reaming in-situ or pull the whole thing down yet again.??? My favourite shop won't do it and wants the rods. I've read the blogs so am wary of in-situ. I know you have done it Musky.!
Given the horrors I have found sofar, it might pay me to do the whole job. The rod looks & measures straight as far as I can tell, but??
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia