Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129169 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #510 on: 08.04. 2019 23:14 »
G'day Col.
Yes the only way to be 100% is to take the rod out. Doing it in-situ may end up off square too.

G'day Ricnard.
You mean it was unbelievable, THAT was the First time  *????* Happy I didn't find any leaks. The local farmer can now sow seeds in the furrows the alternator cover dug. Lucky it didn't roll, didn't even break a blinker or mirror.
A pair of crutches Monday, single crutch today, try to walk unaided tomorrow. I still managed to put the timing side back together on the plunger yesterday.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #511 on: 08.04. 2019 23:53 »
its good your ok musky, that will teach you to ride those other things and it could've ended up being an oil slick and a very fed up muskrat.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #512 on: 09.04. 2019 08:56 »
I dug out all the grass and mud from the nooks & crannies of the rHonda. Now I'm giving her the 1st service after rebuild. Check the shims (no changes necessary), change oil and filter (changed it to a spin on), check all bolts. Tomorrow I'll fit the fairing back on. Lucky she didn't have her good dress on when she went playing in the mud. I still can't believe she got a lot less (read none) damage than me *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #513 on: 09.04. 2019 09:37 »
... I'm a bit banged up in both hips but was able to ride the 80 miles home. Using crutches to get around now.
Steady on fella, we need you here! Stop messing about with those moderns!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #514 on: 09.04. 2019 09:45 »
G'Day Musky. Today I shall raise a glass to your health and offer a toast to your continued well being. You are indeed a lucky man.

All the best.

Swarfy.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #515 on: 09.04. 2019 11:58 »
with you on that greybeard a bandido helped to erase my mate from the planet- I have no one to play with now *cry* *sad* and he  was my personal satnav ,,rip ruff ---- I get lost all too easily

ironhead

« Reply #516 on: 09.04. 2019 13:00 »
Muskrat, I bet that hurt. Up my way, the Bulahdelah mountain was bypassed some 10 years ago- a winding road in the forest, and I thought what a great blast it would be now the traffic has gone.  However, it had been unused for about 6 months and the road was now covered in green slime and leaves. With a long sigh I toodled along enjoying the scenery instead with one foot down. No crutches needed.

Yesterday pulled down the GF top end, with determination to check Everything. I think I found 99% of the reason for the smoke fairly quickly. The LHS Small end bush was reamed off-square. There was a 9 thou difference from Left to Right on the piston top at TDC. ie it tilts to the right. I could put a feeler gauge down the left side at 17 thou, Couldn't get the 1&1/2 one in on the right side of the piston. Last thing I expected!! The piston rings were probably acting like an oil pump. Explains why it always took 30 seconds for the smoke to start. Bores look OK and are parallel - 18.50 mm between cylinders top and bottom.
The RHS piston is square within 1 thou. It doesn't smoke.

Now whether to try bush replacement & reaming in-situ or pull the whole thing down yet again.??? My favourite shop won't do it and wants the rods. I've read the blogs so am wary of in-situ. I know you have done it Musky.!
Given the horrors I have found sofar, it might pay me to do the whole job. The rod looks & measures straight as far as I can tell, but??
Col
G,day col,
I would definitely check that the offending rod is not bent, a common occurrence with alloy rods.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #517 on: 09.04. 2019 15:00 »
Berger ,don't think of it as you getting lost ,more as you found somewhere you didn't know existed until you got there ,if you follow my drift errrrmmmm  *dunno* *doh*

Musky, as GB said leave the modern things be ,you'd have expected the bezzer to leak ( a little ) so wouldn't have had to look and so you wouldn't have damaged the road !! seriously glad you are ok,some of us here still remember the incident with a pickup ,on a bridge some yrs ago so you've got 7 left ,use 'em well mate . *beer*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #518 on: 09.04. 2019 21:28 »
The dbd bit back, adjusting the primary chain on the side stand and tightening the gearbox bottom bolt, the bike toppled completely on top of me . Pinned both arms under the frame so couldn't  move. My shouts (screams) for help was heard by a chap in nearby field who thought it was a cow in trouble !! No serious damage either to the bike or me, just a few bruises and a few square inches of skin removed, but certainly a wake up call now I'm getting decrepid to make sure someone's in earshot
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #519 on: 09.04. 2019 21:51 »
Took the A10 out for the first time this year. Took 2 kicks to start - shock, horror. A welcome reminder just how pleasant and competent a bike it is. Must remember to fix the abberent trip mileage which hasn't worked properly since I had the speedo overhauled. No wonder I thought it was drinking petrol.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #520 on: 10.04. 2019 01:58 »
Thanks Ironhead,
Yes I will dismantle and rebuild from scratch.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #521 on: 10.04. 2019 08:56 »
... No serious damage either to the bike or me, just a few bruises and a few square inches of skin removed, but certainly a wake up call now I'm getting decrepid to make sure someone's in earshot
That could have been serious. I hope the engine wasn't hot!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #522 on: 10.04. 2019 14:26 »
No GB, luckily the engine was cold. It would have very serious if the exhaust pipe was hot as the bike fell to the offside with me completely under it. Good job it had something soft to land on (me).
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #523 on: 10.04. 2019 14:37 »
Today I am working on the top-end of my troublesome 'sickle.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #524 on: 10.04. 2019 17:34 »
Played rear mudguards today. Dirt Cheapo fleabay purchase with big ugly dab of bondo (which probably put a lot of people off ) required investigation.
  No surprises, nicely powder coated with rust underneath, bondo softened with a heat gun, off it came in chunks. Lace curtains underneath, as expected.   Couldn't be arsed to fire up the plasma cutter, so Angle Grinder with a nice thin disc to cut back to sound metal, and a quick spray with rattle can paint to prevent further rot while I plan the best way to proceed.

No sweat, easy peasey.

Swarfy.