Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130679 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #525 on: 10.04. 2019 21:26 »
I finished the 1st service on the rHonda and re-fitted the fairing. Had to "adjust" the mounting points that got twisted in the get off. Got it all good then found a pulled wire connection so had to take it all off again. That kept me amused in the shed till 10pm. This morning I'll give her a tub then take her for a spin.
Yes dear I'll take it easy  *????*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #526 on: 11.04. 2019 09:00 »
Took the old A7 long stroke out for a run with the IHC club for old and small bikes to Capel. Didn’t put the wet gear on and it rained all the way, you just can’t trust that weather man! *shh*
The oldest bike on the run a 1914 BSA. A good ride even if I did get wet, and the old girl preformed perfectly, as I new it would, *good3*  went close to hitting a roo made me sit up and take notice! *dribble* but a good ride. *beer* 

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #527 on: 13.04. 2019 07:28 »
G'day fellas.
My Club had a short ride to a local Retirement Home today.
I was going to take the Cafe so tinkered with her most of yesterday. This morning I got ready then found due to my injured hips I couldn't get my feet on the pegs!
The old A7 plunger to the rescue again. Drop fuel in and go.
Had about 25 bikes for the old blokes to look over. The most common remark was "I had one of those". I could have listened to those old stories all day. It wasn't just the blokes with the stories either. A few of the ladies had some good ones too. The staff there were great (one nurse is a club member) but I think they were checking us to see if they had enough rooms as some of us looked like we should be residents.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #528 on: 13.04. 2019 09:22 »
 Made a reluctant start on the newly acquired money pit, namely a late version A7 Longstroke basket case engine. It arrived in large pieces. First look is that the major castings are undamaged, the crank has steel rods with detachable end caps, lots of slop on the big ends. Push Rods, Cam and Followers plus Tappet Retaining Plate and Pistons missing, otherwise as you would expect from a motor dismantled in 1972 and left in the shed until the owner moved on.

Rare? Certainly.  Desirable? Not really from a spares and use point of view, but as it represents a step in the evolution of the BSA Vertical Twin, worth saving as an eventual runner or cleaned up as a static display in the short or probably long term until the missing bits come along.

Now over to the Longstroke Section. First consideration is the Cylinder Barrel.

Swarfy.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #529 on: 13.04. 2019 10:51 »
Made a gearbox roller detent for a 55 A10, and fitted new SS studs for fastening the carby to a Matchless G80 head. Like every other thread in this head, helicoiling was required.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #530 on: 13.04. 2019 14:09 »
20 years ago my elder son rode away on the WD B40 to investigate the possible worn main bearing. Eventually it was returned in several boxes. He couldn't shift the front engine bolt so tried drilling it out on one side - off centre - and then tried the other side  - even more off centre and then snapped the drill bit. Then brought it home.
It only took 2 mornings to get the remains of the bolt out - a combination of care, precision, massive heat and brutality. It may need more than a wipe with an oily rag to get it back together though. And then check out the main bearing. Ho hum.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #531 on: 13.04. 2019 14:58 »
How nice to see the offending item in all its defeated glory. I like the escalation in violence used to achieve the result.

Well done, Sir.

Swarfy.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #532 on: 13.04. 2019 17:11 »
No work on any bike today, it's a cold day up here bright enough so would have been a good shed day, but Washing machine stopped turning, it lights up, pumps in and out but no drum rotation, so you tube searched, two suggestions, broken belt or motor brushes, turned out it the brushes (one shiny one dull), You tube is an asset for this kind of thing, I found a video that covered the whole job.
Took me back to my short lived electrical engineering apprenticeship,.
Was a nice little job as my man flu symptoms still exist but I now have me mojo back at least and was looking for something to do but not out in that freezing wind.
Next job replace the lights in the fake flame electric fire
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #533 on: 13.04. 2019 18:36 »
No work on any bike today, it's a cold day up here bright enough so would have been a good shed day, but Washing machine stopped turning, it lights up, pumps in and out but no drum rotation, so you tube searched, two suggestions, broken belt or motor brushes, turned out it the brushes (one shiny one dull), You tube is an asset for this kind of thing, I found a video that covered the whole job.
Took me back to my short lived electrical engineering apprenticeship,.
Was a nice little job as my man flu symptoms still exist but I now have me mojo back at least and was looking for something to do but not out in that freezing wind.
Next job replace the lights in the fake flame electric fire
You just described my life, Manflu an all!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #534 on: 13.04. 2019 19:03 »
BSA bill lucky it wasn't an induction motor, someone asked me to change the brushes on their washer *conf2* non brush motor *eek* *help* so I ran away, nearly got rid of my person flu now *smiley4*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #535 on: 15.04. 2019 09:11 »
Had two days riding a mix of (legal) off road routes and minor roads from mid—Essex to Thetford and then back again. Overnight at a b&b in a pub at the top of the ride. Four of us on the trip – modern Kawa 250 (though horribly scruffy already), XT225 grey import Serow, XT250 and my SP370. Apart from having to deal with a blown fuse at the start of the ride on the Serow they all ran OK. The rest of the chaps ended up on their ears on various occasions whilst I managed to remain sunny side up throughout – I obviously wasn’t trying hard enough. So a weekend with the blokes … bikes and beer. Not much not to like there.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #536 on: 15.04. 2019 12:44 »
someone asked me to change the brushes on their washer *conf2* non brush moto

Hee Hee, always something to trip you up these days.
Getting older you gain experience right enough but I find in this much changing world I have not the confidence I had 60 years ago, I recall in my apprentice days fixing a neighbours washing machine by resizing brushes from another machine, had no idea what was up with the thing until I looked at it, craft or just luck - god knows
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #537 on: 15.04. 2019 13:10 »
yes bill in the good old days I borrowed massive carbons that were for massive motors at work and cut them down to mend my now extinct old washer [ still got plenty] but now the washer brushers have the wire embeded in  them so its a no go. and when I take the back or top off one and see an induction motor I just put it back on say to them you need a geezer who knows about this computer controlled monstrosity ---- not me!

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #538 on: 15.04. 2019 15:44 »
I have been in the shed, measuring valve springs but now my legs are aching so I'm heading indoors for a cup of tea.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #539 on: 15.04. 2019 17:09 »
 Bit of a problem today was shifting the bikes around I have 2 an A65 and an A7 dropped the A65 back onto the drive then moved the A7 and  somehow I lost the balance and the A7 started lean over it got to the stage where I could not pull it back up so let it slowly go down on the gearbox side. Had to leave it for about 20 minutes while I shifted things around in the garage namely the bike lift and other bits and pieces to get into a position to lift it back up. I managed to get the bike back up and onto the side stand put the bike lift back in place then drove the bike onto the lift and looked for any damage. Luckily there was only a slight scratch on the edga of the Avon handlebar fairing witch I have now sorted, but then I noticed oil dripping out of the rear section of the fully enclosed rear chain case, while on it's side oil must have leaked out of the rear of the primary case and run into the chain  case. I will leave it for a couple of days to let all the oil drip out then check the primary oil level. Must take more care when moving the bikes.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65