Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129142 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #855 on: 09.10. 2019 12:05 »
orabanda I think your frame came into contact with KiwiGF and his ten tin press *eek*, sorry couldn't resist it *sarcastic* *whistle*

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #856 on: 09.10. 2019 15:56 »
Finally found out why rev counter on goldie wasn't working. P O had fitted an clock for clockwise drive instead of anti clock. Luckily, twenty years ago I converted a tacho for my big head Fury to clockwise, so, today converted that back and swapped clocks. I also learnt somthing else. I now need new glasses !
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #857 on: 10.10. 2019 00:34 »

My work table is 1” plate, perfectly flat (using Moore & Wright machinery level); weighs 500kg. We used lasers for levelling.

Having visited Richards workshop a few weeks ago I'm not surprised at what he can do there, man, what I would do to have his workshop and expert's *loveit*
Richard, you forgot to say that the 1" steel plate bench weighs 1 1/2 tons  *yeah* *beer* 

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #858 on: 10.10. 2019 02:05 »
Hi Pete,
The work table is "only" 500 kg.
You will have the pleasure of meeting Robert in December; he is riding with us on "Orabandon 2019".

He is also making a new end plate for the magdyno on the 4G. The originals are made of cast iron and tend to crack; I have sourced three; all cracked. Rob will cast out of manganese bronze (I have plenty of scrap hydraulic pump thrust plates available).

See attached pics of the best cover I have (has been re-welded). Along side it is the plastic model that Rob has drawn (3D AutoCad) and printed (3D printer). He is now making the mold and then will cast , machine, and yippee.......!!

Richard

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #859 on: 10.10. 2019 16:48 »
Can I just say that the engineering expertise out there is jaw-dropping. *eek*  In another life, I would have been an engineer. Just stunned at what people can fix, fabricate and improve. *wink2* *beer* *beer*  Well done fellas, much respect *ex* *respect* *respect*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #860 on: 10.10. 2019 17:16 »
Hi Pete,
You will have the pleasure of meeting Robert in December; he is riding with us on "Orabandon 2019".

He is also making a new end plate for the magdyno on the 4G. The originals are made of cast iron and tend to crack; I have sourced three; all cracked. Rob will cast out of manganese bronze (I have plenty of scrap hydraulic pump thrust plates available).

See attached pics of the best cover I have (has been re-welded). Along side it is the plastic model that Rob has drawn (3D AutoCad) and printed (3D printer). He is now making the mold and then will cast , machine, and yippee.......!!

Richard

How do you get around the shrinkage and adding enough metal for machining ?
The casting will be smaller than the object used for the pattern.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #861 on: 11.10. 2019 00:34 »
Hi Pete,

Richard

Hi Richard, Well it looked like 1 1/2 tons to me! You never cease to amaze me with what you do. Looking forward to the "Orabandon 2019" trip *beer*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #862 on: 11.10. 2019 01:28 »
Hi Roy,
Robert made his first furnace when he was an apprentice, and has spent the last 40 years in his back shed casting everything from mundane to intricate.

His next step is to make the molds, but I think he printed the model to compare it to the original (check dimensions). He has made the face that has been cracking a little thicker BTW.

Richard

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #863 on: 11.10. 2019 06:36 »
OK Richard.
I was a patternmaker and was just passing on my knowledge of foundry practices.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #864 on: 11.10. 2019 09:46 »
orabanda he sounds like my brother he does all things like that except the printer bit. well errr he will be again when he's built another workshop. he's already made a furnace and marked out his furnace building area. I'm only at the Harland & wolf stage *lol* *lol* *lol* but I can drink beer *beer*

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #865 on: 11.10. 2019 10:07 »
When we were 15 Robert was fitting big bore (BSA) pistons into Lambretta scooters.

Years before that (late 60's) he converted his push bike to monoshock.

About the same time he caused a stir at school when he produced a cap gun which he had put a steel barrel and firing mechanism into, and converted to fire .22 shorts!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #866 on: 11.10. 2019 10:17 »
When we were 15 Robert was fitting big bore (BSA) pistons into Lambretta scooters.

Years before that (late 60's) he converted his push bike to monoshock.

About the same time he caused a stir at school when he produced a cap gun which he had put a steel barrel and firing mechanism into, and converted to fire .22 shorts!
Another Alan Millyard?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #867 on: 17.10. 2019 00:34 »
Put the bike away for winter. *sad*

Lee.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #868 on: 17.10. 2019 21:15 »
Well, yesterday, actually. Don’t ask.
Started a project (vee twin in BSA A10 frame) over 20 yrs ago. Having almost finished the engine, it got put to one side for a couple of decades. Realised this year I’d better finish it off before my time was up, so dug it out and got stuck in. Engine finished, in frame etc etc a few months ago. Front end is Suzuki GT (twin disc on spoked wheel) but had some fun identifying the calipers. Turned out they were from later GS model. Had to swap them left to right and vice-versa.
Anyway, got seat on, then waited a month for brake hoses to arrive (wanted to be able to stop the bike before putting it on the rollers). So yesterday tried to start it for the first time. On the rollers it popped a couple of times, then the roller’s starter motor broke its mounting. Hardly surprising – I thought this engine might be a pig to start, but it’s even worse than I imagined. Tried the kickstart next. At first I thought it was jammed, as it was as solid as a footpeg. But no, it’s just the compression. Seems combination of short stroke (75mm) 8.7:1 compression and 998cc is maybe a step too far, but not much I can do about that now. Rollers are out of commission until I can source another starter motor, but in the meantime am reminded that the Vincent kickstart lever is about ten feet long, so am considering lengthening mine to get more leverage. Whether the box and quadrant / ratchet can take the strain is another matter.
When I designed the bike I purposely made the primary drive a lower ratio to ease the torque on the gearbox (38/64 instead of 27/54). I thought that would also assist kick-starting, but clearly not enough. Could probably fit an engine sprocket in there up to perhaps four or five teeth larger, but making another one is a hell of a lot of work and then there's the problem of the belt. Not only expensive (was around £50 twenty years ago) but there's not a great choice of lenghts - and the gearbox is bolted to the rear of the engine. Bit depressing really. *pull hair out*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #869 on: 17.10. 2019 21:59 »
You have whetted our appetite Fella - think we need some pics  *work*

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)