Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129127 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #885 on: 21.10. 2019 11:22 »
My 1st car at 15 was a 1961 6v beetle. Fully rebuilt the motor (twin port heads, 1400cc big bore, mild cam and twin carbs  *pull hair out*) before I got my drivers license.

This evening I painted a pair of HD barrels. Balanced the carbs on the rHonda and fettled the carb on the plunger.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #886 on: 21.10. 2019 14:01 »
Came down stairs this morning to the missus complaining of a strong smell of petrol in the utility room which backs onto the garage. Went out into the garage to find a small pool of petrol under the A65, I have just replaced the petrol pipes last week and it looks like I have disturbed a dowty washer which seals the petrol tap to the tank so drained the tank and removed the petrol tap and sure enough the dowty washer has failed. Searched all over the garage for a spare washer but can only find 3/8" BSP but need 1/4" BSP have now ordered some and have temporarily fitted the tap back with PTFE tape just to stop any petrol fumes. The boss is not at all pleased she thinks that the whole house is in danger of blowing up even though I told her that the amount of petrol that has leaked out would not fill an egg cup and there was no chance of an explosion as there is nothing there to ignite the fuel.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #887 on: 21.10. 2019 14:41 »
Vapour is highly dangerous, a light switch could ignite it. I hope you've ventilated the workshop.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #888 on: 21.10. 2019 14:52 »
Vapour is highly dangerous, a light switch could ignite it. I hope you've ventilated the workshop.

Too true - nothing more dangerous than an empty petrol tanker  *warn*

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #889 on: 21.10. 2019 20:23 »
Yep - petrol doesn't burn, but sure as hell the vapour does.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #890 on: 21.10. 2019 22:25 »
Nothing, but i have a new bike ( to me ) coming this weekend. Another bike to ad to the museum.

ELLIS

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #891 on: 22.10. 2019 09:14 »
Spent the last week on an Enfield Himalayan in Nepal. Back near Delhi now. Flying back to Blighty on Thursday – might ride out to a Guzzi camp on the weekend on Blue; my T3.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #892 on: 22.10. 2019 09:31 »
Rebirthing two 1954 A7 SS; one for a mate & one for me.

Just painted forks; assembly coming up! Nice colour.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #893 on: 22.10. 2019 09:40 »
On Sunday the WA VMCC celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the last Western Australian TT, with a  run to York and back.

Great weather & a good attendance; I did 153 miles on the CB450K5

I also discovered the magic number was 124.

Richard

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #894 on: 22.10. 2019 09:50 »
If I am ever on life support, unplug me.
Then plug me back in; see if that works.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #895 on: 22.10. 2019 09:54 »
BSA's diverse 2 wheeled pedegree; see pics

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #896 on: 22.10. 2019 10:09 »
Spent the last week on an Enfield Himalayan in Nepal. Back near Delhi now. Flying back to Blighty on Thursday – might ride out to a Guzzi camp on the weekend on Blue; my T3.
I know from FaceAche that you frequently seem to be off to exotic places. Did you win the lottery?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #897 on: 22.10. 2019 10:53 »
 Yes I did open up the garage door and left it open for a few hours to clear away the fumes but they were not as serious as the wife tried to state it was only a very slight leak and she has an amazing sense of smell I could only just smell it. I do take all petrol leaks seriously and cure immediately.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #898 on: 23.10. 2019 04:14 »
I know from FaceAche that you frequently seem to be off to exotic places. Did you win the lottery?

Sadly not. We have offices in Noida - nr Delhi. Company pays for me to fly to Delhi and the travelling absorbs no holiday. So if in the middle of a visit I take a week off I'm only paying the flight costs from Delhi to Kathmandu. Just playing the man at his own game really.

GB - I'll put some pics up on FB when I get home.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #899 on: 27.10. 2019 16:54 »
Some may remember my rant about my A10 a while back. I had recently totally rebuilt the bike and it was running fine – until the oil pump decided to stop pumping. I had the pump off and dismantled at least six times. Each time I primed the crank and made sure of a good flow from the c’case feed to the pump before re-installation. I did it that often that I was only putting two screws in the timing cover before trying it. Again and again.
I got so angry with it that it was 50/50 whether I’d part it out or just smash it up with a lump hammer and dump it.
Seemed a pity to smash up a fully restored bike and parting it out would be a hassle. How much would people pay for parts they couldn’t see running? And what about postage of items like engine, gearbox and frame? And so I quickly put it at the back of the shed and attempted to forget about it. I thank members for listening to my rant at the time – without someone to let off steam to I probably would have smashed it up (the oil problem was the last straw in a long list of aggravation I’d had with the bike).

After I’d calmed down a few months later, thought I’d start it up out of curiosity. Was pumping oil fine. After a few rides it still pumps fine. Don’t you just love BSA’s quirky oil system? Though why that is, I don’t know. After all, the system is almost identical to the singles, and apart from minimal wet-sumping, they never play up (I’ve owned BSA singles – B31, C10, M21 – for well over fifty years).
Having said all that, all is still not well. Leave it ten days or more and the contents of the oil tank is in the sump – with some on the floor just to irritate me further. When I want to go for a ride, I don’t want to spend ten minutes kneeling on the floor draining sumps, filtering oil and returning it to the tank, when I have other bikes I can just hop on and go. The consequence is the GF rarely gets used.
So today I thought I’d give it the once-over. Seemed to be a bit noisier last time I rode it, so I checked the tappets (all OK) and gave the bike a good clean. Didn’t start it though – couldn’t be bothered draining that oil. But I have decided to fit a valve in the oil feed pipe. I realise there’s a risk involved but, as far as I’m concerned, it’s the lesser of two evils.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.