Author Topic: Patience and perseverance. At last I've got a Super Flash  (Read 1936 times)

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi All. At long last, I have managed to purchase a Super Flash project bike that's been imported from the States. Since my wanted ad on the forum in 2009, its taken me until now to get hold of one. In the past 8 years I've only heard of 2 others and 2 bare frames being for sale.
Its a 'matching' numbers bike with most of the important/unique parts however I do need to source the rear guard and stays amonst the more common parts that are absent.  There seems to be very little info to be found on these rare bikes and the parts that are unique to this model seem highly sought after. (unless any of our members happen to know of anything that might help)
I have noticed that the triplex clutch basket (that doesn't feature in the Super flash parts listing) is totally worn out, any ideas?
Please see attached photo
Regards, Pete
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Hi All. At long last, I have managed to purchase a Super Flash project bike that's been imported from the States. Since my wanted ad on the forum in 2009, its taken me until now to get hold of one. In the past 8 years I've only heard of 2 others and 2 bare frames being for sale.
Its a 'matching' numbers bike with most of the important/unique parts however I do need to source the rear guard and stays amonst the more common parts that are absent.  There seems to be very little info to be found on these rare bikes and the parts that are unique to this model seem highly sought after. (unless any of our members happen to know of anything that might help)
I have noticed that the triplex clutch basket (that doesn't feature in the Super flash parts listing) is totally worn out, any ideas?
Please see attached photo
Regards, Pete

Well done for your perseverance!

I can’t really help with the triplex basket, I had to replace the sprocket on a brake drum for my b31 rigid and had to increase the number of teeth (42 to 46) in order to get a strong enough “sprocket ring” (machined from a blank sprocket) to TIG weld to the drum (TIG to keep heat down and teeth hardened).

I guess if you machine off the existing teeth then weld or braze on some plain rings in a suitable material, new teeth (same number) could then be machined into the plain rings ? Maybe by CNC machine? It’s going to be expensive I reckon..... *help*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Is it possible that the duplex set would fit?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/home/shop/?product_cat=&post_type=product&s=super+flash
Congrats, there is a few kicking around... We have two of them here, and know of another guy restoring 2 in the US that we sell parts to. As for the Triplex clutch stuff we have a bit, and could have more on its way in a 40' Container in the coming weeks....

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
We are also about to do another run of rear stays of these. We have an order for 2 sets, and could make another (as can be seen on the green bike) if you needed.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
If in fact your brother is Mike in BC Canada, then he visited me here in Oregon.  I showed him some of my BSAs and piles of junk.  I have a early plunger golden flash along with the parts I have to make a " Hot Flash".

He kept going on & on about the triplex chain and I tried explaining I have seen a few and in my opinion,
(Which could be wrong) The triplex chain setup is not that unusual.  He insisted it was but what stopped him in his tracks was my bike sitting here, has a triplex chain setup.
I have sold a lot of parts when I had my shop, and can tell you I got a number of requests for parts from these semi unit bikes, Here what people want, to convert a Harley 45 to a British transmission. 
A) BSA semi unit mainshaft.
B) BSA Triplex clutch setup OR, Norton Commando
C) BSA later PU Gearbox & Some other British bikes parts, I can call some people to refresh my memory, but its well known

(The HDs are very limited with their 3 speeds on the HD flatheads, so very popular to switch to a British 4 speed tranny and BSA is a common swap.  The 3 row chain setup lines up and works with the HD engine.)

Any rate,,, if its hard to get parts for why not upgrade primaries?  Many people switch to the Triumph clutch baskets, or better yet put a belt drive setup on there and be done with it??  Several vendors offer belt drive kits and while I have yet to run any on a BSA, I can say from most Nortons and Triumphs I have fitted them too its a massive improvement, Elements the oil leak and sticking clutch issues, weighs less so less wear and tear as well as a noticeable boost in power.
Once the primary cover is on no one is the wiser.

Congrats on finding a bike!

EDIT: I confused posters, and now see you and Mike from BCs Brother are 2 different people, My bad! Sorry for the confusion.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
Hi Pete, I picked up a rear guard from Nick Simpson, Porlock, Somerset, UK (from memory, a while ago) he had 2 at the time, and I don't have his contact details, but its a start.
I also have the full set of the rear guard stays & brackets I got from Mikes in QLD, well worth a phone call.
Do you have the oil tank for your super flash? that is probably the hardest part to find, not counting the frame/engine.
It will be nice to see your progress, I plan on starting my Super Flash resto early next year.

Cheers Thomas
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
Hi Pete, I would also like to add my congratulations on finding a SF! I also have a hankering for one which my brother, Mike, in Canada is aware of and is keeping his eyes open. It was him who visited Sluggo recently. Well done again, John
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi All and thanks for the comments.  I do have the oil tank however it has had a hard life, the top and btm mountings have both worn away and have been crudely repaired, as if the tank has been loose for a long time and the fixed nut on the top face has been pulled out, so it needs a bit of work but it is a starting point. On the clutch front (perhaps I need to start a new thread for this) the outer (main) section with the triplex sprocket looks ok but the inner basket, that's riveted to the outer, is so worn and chewed up. I'm thinking, is it possible to drill out the rivets and remove this part and perhaps re-rivet another in, as it appears to be the same as the standard plunger item? Has anyone tried this?
I'm not in a position to get going straight away with this project but will try and source all the missing parts and do a 'dry build' and at that point, hopefully be able to obtain a UK registration (which does state that the bike must be roadworthy!!! hmmm) And then to set about the full restoration. I will post details of progress as it plods along. Regards. Pete
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi Brett.
I've sent you a PM ref the rear stays. Thanks

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Congratulations on your find, most of all we all have respect for your patience and eventually finding the motorcycle of your dreams!
For sure post a thread and keep us up to date with the restoration.
Allot of great chaps on here, everyone will try to help in every step of the restoration and some may even help you finding the parts required.

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
  • Government is not the answer, it's the problem!
Pete, Nice find. I have one that I completed around 10 years ago. Me and a couple of others had to do a lot of researching to get the information to rebuild our bikes. I think you probably have the special parts list for the SF. If not let me know and I will send you a copy. Listed below are some of the parts unique to the Super Flash:
Frame
fuel tank
oil tank
battery platform
rear number plate (same as the 1954 Bantam Competition) 90-6797
Rear mudguard and all associated brackets and braces
Smith's speedo 120 MPH SC608/11/L
Smith's tach   RC83 0-8000 RPM CW 2 to 1 ratio

There may be others. These are the only ones that come to mind.
                     Good luck on you build, Lloyd
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi Lloyd.
I've sent you a pm and wow, what a great bike!  any chance of posting a photo showing the other side?  Regards, Peter

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
I replied to your PM. Here is the left side. There are 18 other photos. Lloyd
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
Pete, I forgot to tell you the horn mounting bracket is Lucas part number 703185. If you go to the Taff the Horn web site and scroll down he has a photo of it shown. It is shown as fitting to a Royal Enfield. That bracket bolts to the lower oil tank stud. Lloyd
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow