Author Topic: Patience and perseverance. At last I've got a Super Flash  (Read 1934 times)

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
Well Pete, as you said 'Patience and perseverance' is needed when looking for a Super Flash and after many years of hankering for one I have at last got one in my shed, well my daughters garage at the moment as I have no room here until I sell one of the current stable.

Having had a good look over her and the boxes of bits that came with her the only parts that I think need to be found are a correct rear number plate, which is the same as a 1955 Bantam competition model, and the chrome extension. If anybody knows of where to get the chrome extension then that would be wonderful.

Here is a picture of her and one of the rear number plate of a restored SF showing the chrome extension.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline Beeza

• A's Good Friend
Hi BJD, wow that looks like an absolute ripper, I hope you can move this up the line sooner rather than later.
Your bike looks to be very complete and original, well done.
The tail light extension piece is reasonably common for USA west coast BSA's, and the number plate brackets do appear from time to time in the usual swaps/auctions.
Cheers Thomas
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
Following my request for the rear light extension to fit my Super Flash, I have been told that they were only fitted to East Coast USA bikes but I am not sure. As mine was dispatched to Deeleys in Vancouver, Canada I would like to find out what she would have been fitted with originally?  I also now have seen a picture of one that was on eBay in the USA last month showing that it was a complete unit with a Lucas 525 lens so now I know what I am looking for if it is needed.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Rule of thumb is where there was a USA only model then Canada got the USA and not the general export version.
From the catalogues it appears that where there was an East Coast & West Coast variation, Canada got the East Coast variant .
The extension was standard fitment to West Coast bikes as it was law in California and a couple of adjoining states that just copied Californian regulations.

The other thing to remember is people change parts either because they break or because they liked the look of the "wrong" part more.
Unless your bike was a one owner bike it could have been registered to 20 different people in 20 different states between the time it left the factory & the time you got your hands on it.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline a

• Valued Contributor

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
John. Well done, you know it makes sense.
 Your project seems to have many advantages over my starting point and the more original parts that you have, the easier it will be.
I, to, are of the opinion that the rear light extension was only fitted to the 'west coast' model to comply with the regulation that the rear light must be at the very back of the bike. All of the European models that I have seen pictures of (Quite a few were sold in Europe towards the end, when they were getting harder to sell in the US)  do not have this part fitted, (in fact 5 times as many Super Flashes were sold in France as Rocket Gold Stars!!!!)
Anyway, its good to see another S/F reside in the UK, we will soon qualify for our own 'sub section'  Pete
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
Hi Pete,
Yes I have ordered it from Mike. I am still not sure how many had the extension fitted. Mine was dispatched to Deeley's of Vancouver so was West Coast Canada therefore may have been fitted. I also have an article in the January 2003 issue of The Classic Motor Cycle that is about a Super Flash in Belgium which was shipped to the Belgium and French dealer Franco in May 53. The pictures in the article show it with the extension. The owner at that time was Andre d' Exelle who admits it may not be as shipped as it had a larger 4.5 gallon tank when found in a barn in the early 1980's in a sorry state. It could have also been the case that he added the extension during the restoration so who knows.
John

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
I find the extensions slightly odd, Does anyone know WHY they were added?  I dont recall ever seeing them before and without this discussion would have assumed they were a customizing detail.

Its interesting that in 1969 and 1970 Extensions were added to Triumph and BSA twins and my understanding was to make them more visible to some obscure California lighting law or something.  But its noticable on restorations how many get that detail right or wrong, But it makes me wonder whats up with these back in the day when the Super flash existed.

I Have a collection of the West coast importers service notes and bulletins from Hap Alzina, and I used to reprint these and peddle on ebay. I know Mike Reilly bought a set from me many years ago so I know he has a set of these as well. Id have to reread them but I have no recollection of them being mentioned in them and if it was a west coast issue, I would expect there would have been mention in the material.
Any rate,, Congratulations on the bikes folks... super cool super flash!

Specialty trivia only a true BSA Nutter would even know about!
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
My understanding is the extensions were a legal necessity as the tail light had to be the furthest thing to the rear of the bike
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
I believe bob newby does a belt drive clutch that runs in the semiunit

just a thought, quieter, and more reliable
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand