Author Topic: btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*
« on: 12.12. 2018 11:41 »
Another dose of useless email provider behaviour, blocking legitimate emails due to using misconfigured antispam measures.

Nothing to do with any forum activity, they apply some ridiculous massblocking filter (that may indeed kill a few spam emails) but will kill many more legitimate emails in the same prosess.

Point is, the way these 2 crackpot companies (& aol now and then) applies these filters you will never know that your emails have been lost, and cannot do anything about it.

So am again recommending anyone who actually wants to be allowed to receive their legit emails to change into using a reliable provider (gmail, outlook, yahoo etc always works).
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
Re: btinternet, bigpond email
« Reply #1 on: 12.12. 2018 22:56 »
Thanks for the heads up. Seems strange as "Bigpond" in Australia is from the largest telephone/internet provider there is "Telstra"
This would have to be the most common/popular service provider here, not always the cheapest, but certainly the largest.

Either way we have changed our contact email here to suit :) Thanks again the endless hours all admins put in for our enjoyment.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 13.12. 2018 00:31 »
These companies' anti-spam measures are provided by some 3rd party companies: server blocklists. Using total server bans instead of email content identification is IMO a very bad move.

Resulting scenario, 1 million customers may be using a mailserver, 5 of those actively sending amounts of spam. Soooo, to kill the 5 culprits they will gladly kill 999.995 legit mail senders as well (by blocking the whole server). Great.

An analogy, if the police used these methods: there may be 10 'most wanted' criminals in London, so let's neutralize them by nuking the whole city. lol.

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.12. 2018 09:27 »
...An analogy, if the police used these methods: there may be 10 'most wanted' criminals in London, so let's neutralize them by nuking the whole city...
Sounds like an idea!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30.01. 2019 15:16 »
As happened before, btinternet decides it's time to block people from receiving some emails, using their defective anti-spam filters. Surely manages to block some spam, but in the same go randomly kills legitimate emails, with no notice to any intended recipient.

And it may not only be notification emails from the forum, any other mail from any other sender can be blocked in case they think that's a good idea. So beware of btinternet *bash*

Change forum email address to gmail, yahoo, outlook etc etc, get the emails you should get.

example of bounce:

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

<*member email name*@btinternet.com> failed: btinternet.com:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mailout1-2.pub.mailoutpod1-cph3.one.com
Received-from-MTA: smtp; a7a10.net (193.202.110.18)
Original-Envelope-Id: 925b7da7-247f-14e9-ab75-d0481ea8c29d
Arrival-Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:09:54 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *member email name*@btinternet.com
Action: failed
Status: 5.4.7 (Message could not be delivered in the allotted time frame)
Remote-MTA: dns; btinternet.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected on 2019/01/30 11:09:56 GMT, policy (3.2.2.1)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 18.02. 2019 08:41 »
And bigpond  *bash* again using some defective massblocking filter which kills legitimate emails.
Please change your forum email address to a reliable email service, like gmail, outlook, yahoo etc.

Reporting-MTA: dns; mailout2-2.pub.mailoutpod1-cph3.one.com
Received-from-MTA: smtp; a7a10.net (193.202.110.18)
Original-Envelope-Id: a9v1433c-331a-11a7-a7dc-d9431ea8bb1d
Arrival-Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:15:22 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *member email name*@bigpond.com
Remote-MTA: dns; bigpond.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Connection refused

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 18.02. 2019 09:42 »
G'day e.
Since changing to gmail a while back I get all my Forum notifications. I still use my Bigpuddle email for everything else and haven't noticed anything missing. Ha, not that I'd know!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 22.02. 2019 11:42 »
Just a note, btinternet email is kaputt again, using some defective and blind massblocking filter.

Resulting in legitimate forum notifications emails not reaching intended recpient, with no warning to the recipient that their email has been obliterated.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #8 on: 22.02. 2019 22:31 »
also for you U.S.of A. folks, or anyone with AOL Mail, it screws up the notification  system also.  I just turned my notification system off cured the problem.  Refer to Musky  (Muskrat )  our moderator for more AOL problem  interferences.  Do not know if AOL has cured their interference with the notification system.  PS: because nobody uses AOL any more.  I just do want to notify all my auto pays and such, which is the only reason I keep it.  A ton of re-programming is Involved
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 22.02. 2019 23:12 »
also for you U.S.of A. folks, or anyone with AOL Mail, it screws up the notification  system also.  I just turned my notification system off cured the problem.  Refer to Musky  (Muskrat )  our moderator for more AOL problem  interferences.  Do not know if AOL has cured their interference with the notification system.  PS: because nobody uses AOL any more.  I just do want to notify all my auto pays and such, which is the only reason I keep it.  A ton of re-programming is Involved

AOL has been using the same (defective) thirdparty mass-blocking systems as bigpond\btinternet, among a vast amount of different email adresses in use by forum members, these 3 are the only ones giving trouble.

It's nothing aimed at the forum or the forum notification emails, nor has it anything to do with the nature or content of the emails sent by the forum system. It's the use of some ridiculous & blind mass-blocking spam filters that are not coping with differentiating legitimate emails \ legitimate actvity \ legitimate sources from spam.

In addition to the periods (reoccuring now and then, lasting from a few hours to a few days) where forum emails are being killed without warning to the recipient, there is no guarantee there may not be some risk of emails from other sources\servers falling prey to the same anti-spam practices. Am not concerned with anything else than the forum emails, no recommendation or proof of need to change any email address registered anywhere else.

For the forum, use gmail, yahoo, outlook or any other professional\dedicated email service.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 23.02. 2019 18:44 »
G'day Bill.
You can keep your AOL email and have a gmail account just for the Forum notifications. That's what I did.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: btinternet email
« Reply #11 on: 10.02. 2020 20:09 »
Just an update about btinternet getting another of it's email sickness. Forum emails (and probably emails from many other sources) either disappear completely (arrived on bt server, then deleted forever with no notification to recipient).
Or bounce back here as refused, reason "looks like spam"... damn those bt retards  *bash* *problem* *angry* *razz* with their very scientific 'looks like' = contains some (100% legitimate) links to a (100% legitimate) website (new PM notif., membership activation, new post notif. etc).

Result, anyone here (and surely on other sites) using @btinternet cannot rely on getting some\any emails. History shows bt mail working fine for a while, then later they send things down the drain again.

Please change your forum profile email using a reliable & stable service, gmail, outlook, yahoo, mail.com etc
etc.

Example, notification of pm sent to a member, but along the way bt decides it's not good for their customers to receive their mails.
Reporting-MTA: dns; mailout1-2.pub.mailoutpod1-cph3.one.com
Received-from-MTA: smtp; a7a10.net (193.202.110.21)
Original-Envelope-Id: 89ad2335-4c67-11ea-8269-d0031ea4a29d
Arrival-Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 22:48:51 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; "forum member"@btinternet.com
Status: 5.4.7 (Message could not be delivered in the allotted time frame)
Remote-MTA: dns; btinternet.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected on 2020/02/10 22:48:52 GMT, policy (3.2.2.1) ID (5E42E51E02136E2A) - Your message looks like SPAM

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 23.04. 2020 15:26 »
Just a reminder about bigpond's ridiculous behaviour, still blocking their customers from receiving some of their emails.

Example, a very legitimate password reset email, bigpond decided to label it 'suspect', so must be shot down without warning or investigation before reaching it's intended destination.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

<***@bigpond.com> failed: bigpond.com:
Message content rejected due to suspected spam. IB703
*bash*

As always, am -strongly- recommending to use a reliable and trustworthy email service for the forum profile (gmail, yahoo, outlook etc).

Remember there may be emails from other legit sources (than this forum) that may never reach you, with no warning or information issued by the email providers.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 17.07. 2020 10:06 »
Just a reminder that untrustworthy bigpond (and btinternet) still using some ridiculous and defective antispam filters, thus randomly blocking your reception of legitimate emails.
Please change your profile email into a reliable service like gmail, yahoo, mail.com, outlook etc.

Example, mail to forum member, trashed by bigpond due to suspected (!!) spam.
Reporting-MTA: dns; mailout1-3.pub.mailoutpod1-cph3
Received-from-MTA: smtp; a7a10.net
Original-Envelope-Id: 15bfb****ea8a29d
Arrival-Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 08:47:02 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ***@bigpond.com
Status: 5.7.1 (Message content rejected due to suspected spam. IB703)
Remote-MTA: dns; bigpond.com

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #14 on: 17.07. 2020 20:48 »
G'day e.
Yes bigpond is still rejecting some emails from another forum I'm on. Some come through but others don't  *dunno*
No troubles here since changing to gmail for this forum and faceache.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7