Author Topic: btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: btinternet, bigpond, AOL email *do not use*
« Reply #30 on: 30.07. 2020 21:38 »
Reverse here I cannot sent to BT addresses from my personal domains, they never arrive, same email has to be sent from my spare  outlook address to get there.

BT have blacklisted your hosting company's mail server ip(s). It's a completely unacceptable action\policy. They may stop 10 active spam senders, but at the same time gladly sabotaging the email for 100.000 (or whatever number depending on the size of the hosting) legit customers (like you).
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #31 on: 31.07. 2020 09:18 »
Reverse here I cannot sent to BT addresses from my personal domains, they never arrive, same email has to be sent from my spare  outlook address to get there.

BT have blacklisted your hosting company's mail server ip(s). It's a completely unacceptable action\policy. They may stop 10 active spam senders, but at the same time gladly sabotaging the email for 100.000 (or whatever number depending on the size of the hosting) legit customers (like you).

Yes it's blooming infuriating when I pay to host my own domain for my personally named email address and I cannot use it for a large number of destination addresses. I run a couple of club websites on the same servers so their emails don't get through either. Yes the disappearance rather than rejection is disgusting contempt both sender and receiver alike in my view.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 31.07. 2020 11:10 »
^^^ Thanks forn the info, "nice" to read it's not an isolated case here.

Can only say, of all the troubles the forum is- has been- can be- subjected to, like tech, offlines, hackers, spammers, members fighting or whatever, the most troublesome pain over the years has been dealing with the major nuisance created by @btinternet, as many in UK uses it, and the trouble rains down on me to sort things out.

Had to implement a @btinternet is banned warning in big bold letters in the registration agreement. Anyone using it will (can) not be accepted. Same for @bigpond, @aol, but minor problems with them compared to bt.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 31.07. 2020 12:08 »
one way to mitigate the pain is get your own fixed ip on your hosting then build up your own rep. i run a vps with a fixed ip for a few sites and thereby have less difficulties (tho none of them have btinerent customers!). email can still be painful, with dkim and various other kludges to keep the old tech going. and a fixed ip does cost more.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 01.08. 2020 10:47 »
^^^ Thanks for the ideas, we'll see in the future. ftm, the hosting as it is works 'fantastically' good, fast, reliable, decent priced etc, I'd really not want to switch to any new config (...typically would be getting @btinternet working as it should while database crashing lol :O)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 01.08. 2020 13:05 »
Have to say getting regular messages telling us to avoid btinternet is starting the wear. As is having to agree terms before being able to sign in. Twice now in the last few days, with no apparent update between the two.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 01.08. 2020 17:00 »
Me too RDfella
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 01.08. 2020 17:26 »
Yes, the agreement text is set to show up for any member logging in after it has been updated\refreshed\changed (anything from minor typo fix to complete change of privacy setting \ forum rules). This automatic behaviour is baked into the forum software, as directed by EU GDPR regulation, not my direct action.

In these latest cases, there has been both typos fixed and important details added that will help new members registering sucessfully. Next time could be important changes directly concerning active members.

About the bt email problem, it's a headache (f.ex. hinders new member from registering, active members not getting notifications etc), needs to be adressed by whatever useful means available, which ftm is information. No choice.

This said, the piano player is neither accepting nor welcoming blame, am only making text more accurate, providing better information for new members while strictly following GDPR privacy\info rules and informing that users of some email services will get emails deleted. -/- (edited)

Anyone wants to do something (edited) productive, contact the failing email providers and demand they get their act together and deliver their customer's emails reliably.