Author Topic: Helloo from Shropshire!  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Snowy

• Moving Up
Helloo from Shropshire!
« on: 05.04. 2019 05:33 »
What a veritable resource pool this 'ere forum is!
Firstly apologies for omitted welcome spiel, joined up in haste a few week ago after being given the use of a 1961 A10!
About me, been biking since I had to have the obligatory moped at 16 as it was the only transport available in rural Gloucestershire!
Current stable is a f700GS (love it) an NT700 (does what it says on the can, commutes!) and the "loan" Gold Flash!
Never sit down and list all the bikes you had, frightening!  *eek*
Would have 'em all back tomorrow if I had the space and money!
Love all aspects / philosophy of the motorcycle, how it works, why it doesn't, satisfaction of fettle and fix, riding both on and off road (tho' given up trials as I don't bounce like I used to!), commuting and touring with SWMBO
The perfect menage'a trois, me, the wife and me bike!  *smile*
Had a “bump in the road” when I tried an outfit, failed the apprenticeship! 2 wheels good, 3 wheels unstable!
The A10 - Neighbour has had it in storage for some time, he's moving abroad before GB ostracises itself, knows I love fettling so asked me to get back up together and use now and again, well.....what could I say!  ;)
Needless to say the path to running again was very smokey and oily (my! how a wet sump leaks!) but with a new battery, oil in the barrels for a week, bit of fresh juice she fired 5th kick!
Had a D7 Bantam, a T21 and a 3TA in my youth, thought I'd had it with old Brit stuff, but REALLY enjoying this BSA, hope I get the chance of owning it later on.
So, boy from the Forest of Dean now in Shropshire, works in Birmingham, used to be a telephone engineer but with the advent of IP networks just a keyboard operator now!
Come the revolution we'll need Strowger again! (any old BT satff will appreciate that!) There electro-mech engineers will rule again!
If you’re heading up the A41 by Newport garage can be open and the kettle on for a chat!
Dick Snow.

At last! shrunk some pics and now attached!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Helloo from Shropshire!
« Reply #1 on: 05.04. 2019 08:35 »
Yup, I tried the sidecar experience but soon came to my senses.
Yup, ex BT engineer and planner for 30 years.
Yup, you've found THE best place for A series BSA's
Welcome!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.04. 2019 09:06 »
I bolted a Busmar D/A on the side of a T3 for a couple of years when the kids were small. I enjoyed it though never quite became comfortable with the chair wheel lifting. I should like another one day – but they take up so much room. I think you have to accept that an outfit is a different beast altogether. It is certainly not a car, and despite there being a motorcycle hung on one side or the other it is very much not a bike.

And welcome (and I have bikes been and gone that I’m very happy not to still own).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 05.04. 2019 09:11 »
Thanks for the fine intro post. Welcome aboard!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

ironhead

« Reply #4 on: 06.04. 2019 01:50 »
G'day Snowy.
Great to see another A10 set up for serious regular riding  *woo*

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 06.04. 2019 11:42 »
o dear snowy parking on double yellows TUT TUT - joke ;)  like the bike and the meandering river . I like rivers one of my pastimes as a yooof was measuring them on a map with a piece of cotton --- sad f****r , and don't get me on  to ox bow lakes *woo* *whistle* edit- deliberate mistake oxbow lake

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.04. 2019 00:28 »
Hey there, that's my neck o the woods in your pics. I've also just come into possession of an A10, though mines a little older than yours, loves it I do!
If you're planning another blast up this way, send me a PM, maybe meet up for a brew.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Snowy

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 02.05. 2019 14:58 »
Minto, ta for reply.
There's a Britis Bike Run, Sunday 12th May, Starting from Newport (Shrops - me home town) from 09:30, 10:00 depart, to llanfair Caeraenion, back roads, I'm trying to get the day off shift so I can go along, SWMBO has given me a pass for the day, in case you can make it?
Organiser is Mick Lively, 01952404250 if you want any more detail.
Hopefully catch up soon.
Ride safe.
Dick Snow.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.05. 2019 15:08 »
Welcome Snowy (if I ain't already said so)

I had to have the obligatory moped at 16

Yes me too, went with Dad to Larry Forman 's in Berwick, while I was admiring a Triumph Cub in the shop Dad bought an NSU Quickly (if ever the trade description act .....).
Yep mega disappointment hated the thing from day one
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.05. 2019 16:20 »
Welcome Snowy (if I ain't already said so)

I had to have the obligatory moped at 16

Yes me too, went with Dad to Larry Forman 's in Berwick, while I was admiring a Triumph Cub in the shop Dad bought an NSU Quickly (if ever the trade description act .....).
Yep mega disappointment hated the thing from day one

Yes, my Father too though I would be pleased with a Quickly when my pals were all on Fizzies, Aps and the odd Puch Grand Prix. I just couldn’t and didn’t. Waited a year and then headed out on a B100P.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Snowy

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 02.05. 2019 18:07 »
This is brilliant!
Recalling the names and models!
Mine was a garelli Eureka - PFH 57L, bright yellow! Pedal to start and uphill if it was too much!
The SS / FS1E / AP's were just outa my price range! :( As they are even more so today!  *eek*
Needs must then, best mate had a Puch Maxi, good times! The Puch was 2 speed so faster on the off, but the "yellow Perl" would have it on top speed!
A year of 14 miles a day commuting on that!
From there it was a CG125 (the original) 'twas luxury after the 50, then my first forray into the british scene, I restored a D7 Bantam, ex-GPO, pillar box red with canvas panniers!
Ah nostalgia! Made us what we are today!

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 03.05. 2019 03:45 »
Welcome Snowy
Nice looking bike you have
Reminiscing I had a garelli tiger cross when I was a squirt growing up in Staffordshire 😬
S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 04.05. 2019 07:31 »
Ho Snowy,
I use an NC750 for a comute...great bike, don't rev its nuts off like most new bikes and jut takes a sip of petrol every few miles..as you say, does what is says on the tin without any fuss and drama and you got somwhere to stick your helmet....ooh eer.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 04.05. 2019 10:50 »
I saw a C12 bike I could afford in Pride & Clarke and asked dad to go and sign up the H.P. for me (total £19.10s. 6d. £1 a month after deposit). When the bike turned up,I was disappointed to find he had changed my choice  to an earlier plunger C11 saying "I think its a better bike". He was right, 60yrs later I'm still riding it !
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 13.05. 2019 20:38 »
Snowy, thanks for the heads up on the run, wish I’d seen it before, I was at a real loose end yesterday, wife at work and sun shining. Decided in the end to give the BSA the day off and took the Mille out up the Ponderosa, had a natter with a nice old gent on a lovely super rocket. Then followed a couple on a Fireblade (I say followed cos I couldn’t catch em) to Ellesmere and on to the Raven, had a chat with the fast couple, who were very nice, then home in time for beer and feed. All in all a pretty good day.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR