Author Topic: Is this possible? (mag missing brush)  (Read 1572 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Is this possible? (mag missing brush)
« Reply #15 on: 08.11. 2019 10:05 »
don't do as I did when having the same problem as you, spent a lot on mag refurb only to find out  later it was the points that were duff and not the internals of the mag

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: 08.11. 2019 15:35 »
don't do as I did when having the same problem as you, spent a lot on mag refurb only to find out  later it was the points that were duff and not the internals of the mag

I suppose that a failed condenser also has an influence on the points lifetime or am I wrong here?
Always thought the condenser was there to prevent the points from arcing when opening and closing or isn't that the case on a maggy?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 08.11. 2019 16:40 »
'Tis very much the case morris, and arcing will eat into the points quite fast if it starts. I guess that's why in the old days when you bought a fresh set of points for your typical family car every few thousand miles, many routine service kits came with a new condenser, whether it was needed or not. Happy Days!
Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 08.11. 2019 18:24 »

Apart from any A10 magneto issues, or only ever had two condensers conclusively fail- one on the Hilux and one on the Gutzzi,  but don't remember ever replacing one before that..... but they both needed them big time
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 13.11. 2019 16:47 »
Thanks all very much for your thoughts on this. When I get some time and a dry day, I have a few things to try.  I’m pretty sure that these bits of carbon have been the source of the problem, so a good proper clean out is next on the list, as well as undoing the carb adjustment, to put it back to how it was previously.
Thanks again, I’ll keep you posted.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 25.11. 2019 01:37 »
Well, I gave up waiting for a dry day and put my thermal pants on and hit the garage today.
Checked there was no more bits of carbon brush hiding in the points housing, checked the state of the contacts, reset the gap, then raised the throttle needle a notch, back to its previous setting. Now running like a swiss watch.
1/2 hour fettling, 1/2 hour riding, 2 hours cleaning all the crap off when I got back. Afternoon well spent.
Thanks to everyone for your help, you guys rock!
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 25.11. 2019 12:34 »
Thanks for giving us all 'closure'. Sometimes the poster doesn't come back to tell us how things were resolved.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 25.11. 2019 14:26 »
Minto, Not much amiss with the magneto if it can behave without fault on a rainy day. Good to know you are mobile once more.

Cheers.

Swarfy.

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 25.03. 2020 06:34 »
Hi Minto
That happened to me, I had  owned the bike a couple of years, got the brush out, it had never been on, power going through the spring, also put harder brushes on, starts first time now, and no missing----Barry
WA