Author Topic: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.  (Read 21678 times)

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.
« Reply #15 on: 13.08. 2009 09:13 »
My my, hasn't this one caused some discussion !

Firstly, welcome to the forum Steve.

Now to the question of wether an electric start is good or bad. I am not in favour of modifying these bikes unless absolutely necessary, I believe that riding them as they were is what owning an old bike is all about. If you want modern carbies etc then buy a modern bike. I am in favour of sensible mods that are unseen and make our bikes easier to live with eg. the DVR2.

However, if I ever get to the point that the only reason I can no longer ride my A10 is because I can not kick it over then I would be the first to fit one of these electric legs.

As to the capability of the dynamo to run the system I can not see any problem. I am no electrical expert but a sound dynamo with a properly working CVC unit would be easily capable of keeping the battery charged. I dont see how a electric start is going to stress the system, it only has to turn over a relitively (by modern standards) low compression motor of 325cc.

Just my thoughts.................

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #16 on: 13.08. 2009 10:16 »
I think we?ll all agree in common that a classic bike requires a fair old amount of attention to keep them running at their best, and the most important thing, is that we continue to ?enjoy? doing the necessary maintenance demanded. A classic bike in excellent fettle should be very easy to start, especially if it has low compression pistons. When it starts easily you know it?s a happy runner, if you need to whirl the starter over a few times to run the bike then it cant be as happy as one that has had a Human leg kick, to get it going.

For me, the kick starting will always be that magical moment, giving that exciting feeling of ?will it or wont it? and how many kicks will she want from me today? (The A7, A10 is very much a sexy Lady!) An electric starter seems to take away all that, it seems to take away that special part of the relationship with the bike, although Steve?s device still allows the option to kick if you want to. Somehow I feel this might be cheating a little But! don?t get me wrong, I am fully aware that there are guys around who?s circumstances are very much different to mine, and I?m very pleased that this option is available to them.

The idea of an electric start is indeed attractive and I think I would have one primarily to restart if I had a pillion and a fully loaded bike with camping gear and I had stalled at traffic lights. Sometimes you need to put aside the romantic moments and get a move on.

Apart from reaching old age and needing an electric starter I think a whole lot of other situations ought to be thought of, for instant, would I still be able to pull the bike onto it?s centre stand? Would I still be strong enough to handle such a heavy bike and manoeuvre it around in small spaces? General health? Arthritis? Reflexes? etc.

Personally, I think that when my kicking days expire then I?ll hang up my helmet, boots and gloves and call it a day. Bet the girls?ll still remain in my shed though!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline broom34

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 13.08. 2009 10:17 »
Hi Richard
               I'm all for an easy life but you must keep exercising your right leg, thats what your right legs for a BSA A10 kick starter,there's only one problem with the kick starter as you get older your right leg gets bigger
 I know I'm coming on 76 and still kicking,but joking apart I must say Steve done a wonderful job with the electric starter good luck Steve.

Richard

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #18 on: 13.08. 2009 10:25 »
I'm coming on 76 and still kicking

Blimey! Now this puts me to shame after what I put in my last post, heck I'm only 49! However Richard, (Broom34) I dont think you hold the record for the oldest A10 rider as there is a chap up Cumbia way who is well into his eighties, I think he is known as Jon the one. Perhaps someone could put me right without spoiling the very interesting thread we have here.  *red*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 13.08. 2009 10:28 »
I'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view but the forum is here so that we can express our opinions. I have similar discussions with the Enfield riders. A lot of them spend hundreds of pounds fitting go faster bits and I always wonder why they bought a slow bike in the first place. *conf* I can well understand people wanting electric start, indicators, alternators, electronic ignition etc but the choice of bikes available with all that stuff is mind boggling.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 13.08. 2009 18:26 »
All I can say is a BSA with an electric start conversion is still a BSA.

Richard

« Reply #21 on: 13.08. 2009 22:23 »
Fido,
and others,
 I know the forum is here to chew things over and hopefully express our own opinion without causing offence to others and that is what my few words were meant to do,However I realise that we all have different opinions which makes this a great site as no one, well at least so far, has taken offence at any members opinion.
I have been riding since 1965 and mainly BSA's and I have no difficulty starting my bike,I have a modern bike with bright lights good handling smooth motor no vibrations comforatable seat and electric start BUT I prefer the BSA A10 S/R I ride it a lot and like many others think nothing about riding it 160 miles to Dover and 180 miles across to the far side of Belgium for a couple of days and then riding it back and it takes some stick from me as well.
So to me a modern carb and indicaters and other make it go better and more reliable  bits are ok, it is still a BSA.
I have no difficulty kick starting my bike I just fancy the electric start
So I intend to modify my A10 with any thing that takes my fancy so long as it still looks like a BSA, its only money and I can not take it with me, and I do not want another modern bike.

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 14.08. 2009 13:38 »
Ok....so what do we do with our bikes when we are too old to start them??

Put them in the back of the shed and let them rot??

Try to sell them to the younger generation who don't appear to have much of an interest in them anyway??

Break them and try to sell them as spares to those who decide to keep their own but can't start them??

Simply scrap them??

I suppose that there are other alternatives...like trading in them in for a modern bike but......

I would rather go for an electric start in order for me to persue my interest for as long as I possibly could!!

What do other members think??

Beezageezauk.

get a much younger girlfriend to kick it over??

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #23 on: 16.08. 2009 16:16 »
Well, there are varyng degrees of leg strength and leg usefulness at any age and, particularly, with advancing age. I am 61 and, thankfully, even if it takes several kicks, I still have the wherewithall to apply the force. It would seem that a person who could still give three or four good kicks on a well-tuned engine with a healthy mag may have a better chance of starting the bike than the electric starter (before the battery dies) on a poorly tuned bike that, maybe, has a sick mag.  I guess my point is, if you think you need an electric starter because you can't do all the kicking reps it takes to get started, perhaps a tune-up and a mag rebuild is a better choice.  For those who can no longer do any reps, we can be thankful to Steve for giving our mates the option to stay in the game.  (Steve, it is clearly an excellent piece of engineering.)

Just for curiosity, I would like to know what the age is of the oldest person here, or known by those here (feel free to say "a bloke I know" even if it's you), that can still kick start an A7 or A10.  

Richard L.

I am only 35, but I do have two metal hips fitted (I suppose you could consider these to be an aftermarket modification to myself). I manage to kickstart my A7ss reasonably well. Unfortunately I can only do it when it is on the centre stand and I can get a good swing at it. Obviously this is extremely inconvenient if I stall in heavy traffic, and there have been numerous occasions when I have had to wheel the bike up onto the pavement and put her on her stand just so that I can get started again and carry on. It's times like this when I really wish I had an electric start.

1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 16.08. 2009 17:46 »

Obviously this is extremely inconvenient if I stall in heavy traffic, and there have been numerous occasions when I have had to wheel the bike up onto the pavement and put her on her stand just so that I can get started again and carry on. It's times like this when I really wish I had an electric start.

Obvious to everyone except the makers,  BSA in this case.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 16.08. 2009 18:04 »
[
 I manage to kickstart my A7ss reasonably well. Unfortunately I can only do it when it is on the centre stand

Starting the thing is never a problem for me, but trying to get it on the centre stand... *eek*
Iain

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 16.08. 2009 19:40 »
LJ stated......there is a chap up Cumbia way who is well into his eighties, I think he is known as Jon the one. Perhaps someone could put me right without spoiling the very interesting thread we have here.

Yes LJ, you are thinking of John Hewitt from Warrington.  He still regularly rides his A10.  In fact he is going to the International Rally in Belgium via Spain and France.  The direct route is too easy for him.  He will be riding his A10 all the way and camping.  I believe that there is a group of four riders doing this journey and John himself really struggles to kickstart his bike.  He will be 81 years young in September.

This time last year he was asking for ideas regarding an electric starter.  He might have one fitted by now!!

Pat Quinlan from Manchester (ex Treasurer of the UK BSAOC) can't use his B31 unless his son-in-law goes with him to kickstart the bike.  I wonder how many more riders are in the same position and would welcome an electric leg??

As it is, I'm 64 coming up and so far I don't have a problem starting any of my BSA's but I often wonder what the future has in store.  I'll certainly be getting a push button starter when the time comes.

Beezageezauk.   

Offline raymo

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 18.08. 2009 12:46 »
I have several Bikes ( in various states of dis-repair and use ) and am 53  *eek*

worst one to start is my 250 starfire... kicks back something rotten .. if you show it mercy, if used regular it starts fist boot.. but if not it is a real pain.. ( dont use it much I am afaid )

650 A10  has not been started for some time but from memory is a doddle to start ( this is my next project !!!!! )

the beast is my Suzuki dr600 which is kick start only. this bike is quite high ( I am not ), and has a single piston the size of a dinner plate !!  however it does have a decompressor and a Knack to starting.. if kicked over a few times with the decomp in it to prime ..   it will start first go.. but it kicks back with  a vengence if you do not go for it ! its a dirt bike so if stalled in the mud it can be re-started in gear  takes three hands !!clutch in, decomp sequence then  hefty boot....

T500 cobra is a 500 two stroke twin.. can start it by hand!!! low comp..

the rest have no kick starts..so are electric only.. they are tall big traillie bikes I use for long distance touring.. loaded up and full of fuel, I guess they would be a hand full to boot over....

so what am I adding here?  well  yes the A10 is low and never had a button start, but as they were comuting bikes at a time when few folk had cars they were never really fully loaded  with luggage etc, and as I intend to use the A10 in 'big traillie'  guisse, an electric start would be useful. so I think it has its place.. £800  is steep though   being able to start in gear is a bonus too

my two pence :-)

DA10 Sr ( 1961  I think :-) )
B25S Starfire 1969
T500 ( the suzuki 2T Beast ) 1972
XLV 750Rf Honda current ride
ok so only the Honda is working :-)

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
    • START YOUR BSA ELECTRIC STARTERS FOR A10 & A7
« Reply #28 on: 25.08. 2009 22:19 »
Ramo,
It may sound allot but there is a starter for Gold stars @ £1350, and someone is doing one for the vellocett and that is aprox £1230 (not including battery)
A Vincent one will set you back around £1380 (not including battery)
I have put such an amount of effort in making this possible and can only just manage to do the kit at that price. Most businesses would charge a mark up which would put it in the region of over £1000 for this, so it really is a good price for such an extensive peace of kit (there are around 100 parts that make up the complete kit) it includes a battery which has a retail price of £82
so i mine is over £500 cheeper than any other retro fitted starter!!!!!!!!
Steve
 *smiley4*
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 26.08. 2009 15:46 »
Steve, keep up the good work. I sold my DBD34 Gold Star because of starting/knee problems (cue tears) so the thought of having an electric start on my RGS cheers me up no end. Just need to know in the coming weeks/months if you can perfect it for belt primary drive and which supplier. I had a Bob Newby system on the Goldie but whatever you say it works with is ok by me. PS Steve ever thought about SRM doing an alternator conversion with new outer casing to suit??
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.