Author Topic: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.  (Read 21782 times)

Offline fringedweller

• Moving Up
  • 1960 Super Rocket
Re: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.
« Reply #45 on: 24.08. 2012 23:10 »
I believe so. Last I heard (a week ago)he was waiting on a new batch of gears to be made.
Seems to be a bit hit and miss answering emails.
Don

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #46 on: 25.08. 2012 13:04 »
Fringedweller,

Thank you for that information. I will try to get in touch with him again.

John

bikerbob1

« Reply #47 on: 29.08. 2012 13:26 »
Greetings, I am new to this forum but have a keen interest in A10's and currently own 3 of them. This electric start is of significant interest and I wonder if Steve McFarlane is at the point that he will ship them to Canada. Currently his web site is down and other notes in the forum suggest that email also does not work. If anyone has any info on the current status of this starter and better still how I can get in contact with Steve, it would be much appreciated.    Thanks, Bob...

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #48 on: 29.08. 2012 14:35 »
Sorry to see that it's difficult to get news about his project, have sent him an email with a reminder about the posts here, let's see if there is any reaction.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
    • START YOUR BSA ELECTRIC STARTERS FOR A10 & A7
« Reply #49 on: 29.08. 2012 22:11 »
Hi Erling,

Thanks for your e-mail,
My computer was broken for a few weeks over the Olympics but I answered all the e-mails I received when I got it back.
The firm that made the web site was re-vamping it and it was off for a few weeks, I was NOT happy and told them to get it back on line ASAP
I have just tried to e-mail myself through the web site and I have not received either of them
When you e-mail through the web site it sends the e-mail to the web site hoister then it is forwarded to me and they don't seem to have been forwarded to me recently
I have spoken to the boss of the company today and hi is going to see if he can fix it tomorrow , and I have asked him to see if he can find the e-mails which must be somewhere in cyber space
I do answer all the e-mails and hopefully it will be receiving e-mails again soon  

Regards,

Steve

You can e-mail me through this forum if you have any questions.

I am sent these as kits to the USA, New Zealand, Australia, and Germany
And they have been fitted by competent people OK

This is an e-mail I got off the first person I sent one to in the USA,
 I had asked him for any feedback he could give me, he sent the following e-mails:

Fred Hatcher
From Texas
USA
Hello Steave  
I now have the starter on my bike, it works great. The instation went very well, all the instructions you gave me was spot on. I have started the bike more than 100 times. I can not thank you enough, this has made riding the A10 a  so easy now. You did a very good job inventing the starter. The OHIO VALLEY BSA OWNERS CLUB had a nice write up about your starter and a picture of your bike on the cover. Steave I thank you so much for this. If any one here in the states has any questions about the starter they can email me. Mine works great. your friend Fred
He later added in reply to an e-mail I sent to him:
Steave you have my permission to post the email to your site. I am very happy with the quilty of the starter and your work. Any thing that I can do to help others with the fitting of the starter they can call me at 409 925 0318. thanks your friend Fred

1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #50 on: 30.08. 2012 00:27 »
G'Day Steve, One question, Is the kit for the plunger models, and how much shipped to Australia

P.M me patojp@bigpond.com

Thanks.
Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #51 on: 30.08. 2012 11:20 »
 Hay pato if you can push that tractor of yours, you can kick start a BSA. *smile* And your not old enough  ;)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
« Reply #52 on: 30.08. 2016 00:14 »
Just to give you all an update,
There is a 2 page article on page 48 of Old Bike Mart in August 2016 Issue
Steve

link to page  http://issuu.com/mortons-digital/docs/obmaug16preview/9?e=7600234/37522696 
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #53 on: 30.08. 2016 09:50 »
Well, there are varyng degrees of leg strength and leg usefulness at any age and, particularly, with advancing age. I am 61 and, thankfully, even if it takes several kicks, I still have the wherewithall to apply the force. It would seem that a person who could still give three or four good kicks on a well-tuned engine with a healthy mag may have a better chance of starting the bike than the electric starter (before the battery dies) on a poorly tuned bike that, maybe, has a sick mag.  I guess my point is, if you think you need an electric starter because you can't do all the kicking reps it takes to get started, perhaps a tune-up and a mag rebuild is a better choice.  For those who can no longer do any reps, we can be thankful to Steve for giving our mates the option to stay in the game.  (Steve, it is clearly an excellent piece of engineering.)

Just for curiosity, I would like to know what the age is of the oldest person here, or known by those here (feel free to say "a bloke I know" even if it's you), that can still kick start an A7 or A10. 

Richard L.

Hello Richard.

I'm 77 almost and I'm still kick starting and lugging about an A7, A10 , B33, A65, and a Matchless G9 Oh plus a little BSA C15,
There's no age limit to motorcycling, I was with a chap last Sunday he is 83 and riding a 1300 machine and still likes speed.
TTJohn *smile*

adm edit: fixed quote

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
« Reply #54 on: 30.08. 2016 23:40 »
Well one of my customers boasted that he can still ride his A10 at 83 now he has got an electric starter fitted !!!

ALSO to my knowledge  at least 6 or 7 people have now bought A7's or A10,s just because they can have an electric starter fitted to there new acquisition so that they can ride a B. S.A. whereas before the could not.

i have also fitted one ( as a one off ) to an Arial Huntmaster engine, as he could no longer start his bike, he had sold all his other bikes as he could no longer kick start them, he rode his bike over from Bristol to show it to me
which is about 45miles away from me . so he is well capable of riding hid bike, so he is well pleased as he has had is bike for something like 45 to 50 years  *smile*
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #55 on: 31.08. 2016 00:23 »
hi guys, yes well done Steve, I'm just waiting for the belt drive version, shouldn't be that difficult now you have chain type, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 31.08. 2016 02:00 »
Yep Steve, that's brilliant stuff. Now I'd better get saving (or decide what to sell to finance it!!!)
Personally my problem is the 'ammer 'n tack, (I bet I'm not alone there), engine tune is not an issue since I had my mag reco'd.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #57 on: 31.08. 2016 21:06 »
[
 I manage to kickstart my A7ss reasonably well. Unfortunately I can only do it when it is on the centre stand

Starting the thing is never a problem for me, but trying to get it on the centre stand... *eek*
Iain
putting a 1938 rudge ulster on centre stand so simple pull the lever and up she goes

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #58 on: 16.05. 2022 08:36 »
Anyone fitted one of these of late? What's the latest on them please.

Kicking mine over is becoming less easy for me, have to get off the bike and centre stand it.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 16.05. 2022 10:31 »
Me too! (No def' not the 'me-too' crap!!!')
I'm down to my GT500 (kickstart- although two banger twin so not too hard), my beloved Velocette Clubman, and my 'partscaster' S.R.
You there Steve? Electric legs available?
-Jools