Author Topic: Sidecar lights with LEDs is puzzling  (Read 348 times)

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Re: Sidecar lights with LEDs is puzzling
« Reply #15 on: 30.11. 2019 18:00 »
To check if it's rear Led itself, just disconnect the feed to the tail light. If that cures it, a 200v 4 amp diode in series with the tail light feed will permantly fix it. If you're running negative earth, the white band on diode is at tail light end. Positive earth, band will face away from tail light. Providing only Leds are used, the diode won't get warm. 
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.11. 2019 18:39 »
Nice outfit Roger.
Every light on my combo is led, including headlight.
The only difference from yours, (that I can See) is , I have not used the frame at all for earthing. Every lights ground wire goes back to the + terminal on the battery. Including indicators & spot light.

My rear sidecar light is the same as the bike light and the back plate is earthed the same as your bike light.
What is your sidecar rear light earthed to ?

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.11. 2019 20:11 »
Hi Roger,
It must be to do with the internal workings of the double LED tail light?
If the setup is as described earlier with a resistor selecting high or low output it would back feed through the resistor
and feed the other LED's
Before you go ripping out anything try this  *bright idea*
Connect a diode into the line to the brake light and another into the tail light line
the diodes can be very small as the current is low
(if no light reverse diode )

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 30.11. 2019 20:49 »
What is your sidecar rear light earthed to ?

Hi Roy, thanks, all the sidecar cables run through a flexible convoluted tubing to a superseal connector on the bike (waterproof and easy to pull apart to disconnect). The rear light earth goes from the earth connector on the metal bulb holder (see photo) to earth on the bike's frame and then through a 15 amp fuse to the + battery terminal.  Front light does the same.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 30.11. 2019 21:05 »
Hi Roger,
It must be to do with the internal workings of the double LED tail light?
If the setup is as described earlier with a resistor selecting high or low output it would back feed through the resistor
and feed the other LED's
Before you go ripping out anything try this  *bright idea*
Connect a diode into the line to the brake light and another into the tail light line
the diodes can be very small as the current is low
(if no light reverse diode )
John
Thanks John, the bike's rear/stop LED is this one from Paul Goff: 12V Positive earth Pt.no. LO12ST (see photo) and the sidecar's is the one in the other photo.  I'm no electrician or mechanic but I think (by looking at the bulbs) the tail and stop lights are separate LEDs (I may well be wrong).

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 01.12. 2019 12:38 »
Never ceases to amaze me how much extra time and hassle we seem to spend with modern technology compared with the old. Maybe that's why most of my vehicles are over 50 yrs old ...
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 02.12. 2019 19:02 »

Thanks John, the bike's rear/stop LED is this one from Paul Goff: 12V Positive earth Pt.no. LO12ST (see photo) and the sidecar's is the one in the other photo.  I'm no electrician or mechanic but I think (by looking at the bulbs) the tail and stop lights are separate LEDs (I may well be wrong).

Roger, Looking at my Paul Goff: 12V Positive earth Pt.no. LO12ST tail and stop LED, I think that the whole LED just gets brighter for the stop light.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 02.12. 2019 21:29 »
Roger, Looking at my Paul Goff: 12V Positive earth Pt.no. LO12ST tail and stop LED, I think that the whole LED just gets brighter for the stop light.
Many thanks Roy, I'm having a bit of a short break at the moment as I've been at it non stop (with my 'ever patient' wife helping me) in a cold garage just about every day for the past month attaching the sidecar, adjusting, testing, re-adjusting, testing, re-adjusting, testing, etc. and so on to get it so I'm happy with its handling. What I'm doing now is making up a dummy set of lights with some spare light units I have and using the LEDs to do some tests, that way I'll avoid having to keep messing around with the actual sidecar lights and its wiring - in the meantime when we get some sunny days  *smile* I can still go out for a spin with incandescent bulbs in the sidecar lights.

1960 Golden Flash

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 03.12. 2019 01:05 »

I have a couple of similar LED tail lights reach from different sources but not Goffy., and fairly sure it also took me some time to figure which LEDs did what.... but they do the job, so...

...Never ceases to amaze me how much extra time and hassle we seem to spend with modern technology compared with the old. Maybe that's why most of my vehicles are over 50 yrs old .......

Maybe so,  but I at least think of it as a learning process

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 03.12. 2019 10:51 »
Never ceases to amaze me how much extra time and hassle we seem to spend with modern technology compared with the old. Maybe that's why most of my vehicles are over 50 yrs old ...

Well, you may have a point there . . . if it's change for change sake. In this case my reason is to keep the amps down with having another two lights to power and even more importantly two 21W stop lights which are on and off constantly. I'm not a racer so the dynamo isn't permanently charging at full whack, although now pulling a sidecar with a passenger will probably get the revs higher. Happy Days!

1960 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #25 on: 03.12. 2019 11:57 »
I would have normal lights and a BIG! battery in the side car, but that's just me *fight* *bash* *shh*