Author Topic: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly  (Read 1380 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly
« Reply #30 on: 18.01. 2021 20:04 »
G'day RR.
Looks like they are for rear sets. The weld on lugs have a hex hole.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Beeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #31 on: 18.01. 2021 21:51 »
Hi RR, here are some rear sets I have for my Goldy when I eventually get to it.
The plates and tube is what I made for my LSR A10.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 19.01. 2021 00:07 »
Hi RR
I think those solid footrests are C 10/11/12, they use a 7/16 hexagon fitting, can you see a part number on them
Would you believe there are several variants and some are well sought after

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #33 on: 19.01. 2021 00:52 »
Hi RR
I think those solid footrests are C 10/11/12, they use a 7/16 hexagon fitting, can you see a part number on them
Would you believe there are several variants and some are well sought after

John
I think your right, they look just like the ones on the C12 (a project I'll probably never get to) in the corner. They should do as a starting point
Thanks guys
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Beeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #34 on: 26.01. 2021 08:20 »
Tim, I think those pegs will present a problem, the off set is much greater than what the Goldys run with, also the length from mount hole to peg is much greater as well. Also them pegs have only 6 radial positions to choose from, (the Goldy rear sets have 12) and lastly, if you intend to run a kicker “you can’t”.
I have no doubt you will make it work though.
Best of luck mate.
Thomas.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 26.01. 2021 19:22 »
Tim, I think those pegs will present a problem, the off set is much greater than what the Goldys run with, also the length from mount hole to peg is much greater as well. Also them pegs have only 6 radial positions to choose from, (the Goldy rear sets have 12) and lastly, if you intend to run a kicker “you can’t”.
I have no doubt you will make it work though.
Best of luck mate.
Thomas.
Thomas, all good points! This month the focus is on racing the road rocket in early feb, then a road ride on my zb33 to Christchurch (over 2000km) eo Feb (subject to lockdowns). The A7 frames at my engineers still awaiting partial retubing (front down tube from the headstock) and rearset brackets, then forks and I'll start mocking up. I have a pile that could form an engine but havent decided bore and stroke. currently torn between from 67 to 70mm bores, but all options involve a custom crank to suit with a stroke from70mm (as per a75) to 64mm. I'd like to source an old a7 piston so I can ponder effect of altered gudgeons on rod length/stroke/deck height. I'm hoping I can have this bike built for next summer.  I'm also still looking at my 54 road rocket engine that theoretically just needs assembly too. That keep getting put aside and deserves some time. The various maintenance tasks of the three old bikes I have going certainly impact time I can spend on the other two  (first world problems) Once I get some large parts home I'll post some more pics and thoughts
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline 1957 A10R

• Moving Up
« Reply #36 on: 04.02. 2021 22:04 »
Thos footrests are C10 - C11 ones

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 17.02. 2021 00:48 »
Thanks to Beeza, I have a pair of rearset footrest brackets for the frame which I hope to have back in the next month. Will be nice to start mocking up the rolling chassis. With two road rocket motor builds sitting ahead of the A7 motor I'm currently thinking I need to adopt KISS approach and build around the a65 crank I have. To keep the capacity I see I can get std A50 taiwanese FUH Jiunn pistons that look serviceable from steadfast cycles. I probably wont decide on a specific barrel until I pull down my sidecar motor as that is a shortened barrel that might be a contender to sleeve. Am thinking my small fin barrel might get a bit hot on petrol. I also have some unfinished alloy barrels courtesy of Zurferjoe to somehow fit into my builds. Being alloy they should shed heat better as well as some useful weight reduction.
Nothing happening immediately, have a ZB33 to fettle for a trip next week (subject to lockdown restrictions being lifted)
New Zealand