Author Topic: 6 v lucas regulator  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 6 v lucas regulator
« Reply #15 on: 26.06. 2020 17:48 »
... nothing shows  on the ammeter , only when i switch on the lights and it shows slight discharge. 
That is correct behavior for a fully charged battery.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 27.06. 2020 07:49 »
Thanks Neil,  with the engine running revving the lights stay the same and the horn dont work     TW
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

beezermacc

« Reply #17 on: 27.06. 2020 08:47 »
There's an article on this page you may find helpful.....
https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/tech-tips-1

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 27.06. 2020 10:08 »
Yes thats good info    thanks

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 05.08. 2020 16:01 »
Hi, i am still struggling with my reg   there is a  good charge from  my dynamo then it goes into the reg and there is nothing that comes out of blue and black earth does that mean the reg is  shot ,  i followed the test instructions and it seemed ok        Thanks tw

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 05.08. 2020 17:45 »
   T W    You haven't said which model of regulator you have, but if it is the traditional LUCAS elcctro-mechanical type, Terminal A is where the power comes out. Depending on the battery voltage  and electrical demand at the other end of this wire ie the ammeter end, the trick box regulates the power output (regulator section). The unit also isolates the battery from the charging circuit when the engine is stopped (cut out section).

BSA Service Sheet 804 gives a description of operation and test procedure.

Most common fault is dirty connections and poor wiring. Bullet connectors suffer internal corrosion, copper wires oxidise, verdigris and dirt are other enemies. Check the basic wiring system is sound. Checking the regulator for electrical function is easy, but don't fiddle with the adjustment, getting that right is more difficult. The unit needs a good earth connection, try a wire from terminal E to the earthed terminal of the battery.

Your earlier post said the lights stayed the same, so  this means there is no power from terminal A to the main loom. Horn is usually wired direct from the battery, so this may be a sign of a component failure or non standard wiring.

Swarfy.

Additional. The earlier posted link to Priory Magnetos gives a circuit diagram to test the regulator. As it stands this test will only confirm the operation of the cut out. In other words with everything connected as shown, the battery voltage should be the same as noted with the battery disconnected, confirming cut out operation and no electrical leakage through the system.

Starting the engine should result in a rise in voltage from terminal A, which will raise the battery voltage as confirmation of some regulator output. As far as I can see this step is omitted. If all is in order, engine running increases meter voltage reading and causes the test bulb to brighten.

Looks to be a final page missing detailing this step. Also there is no test procedure given for the dynamo armature, which would be a useful addition to the otherwise concise text.

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 05.08. 2020 17:55 »
Thanks Swarfy ,  i think its a copy lucas ,  the chap i bought it off said it worked ok on his AJS i have no reason to disbelieve him , i will look into what you say  tw

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #22 on: 05.08. 2020 18:18 »
The new Wassell Lucas ones are no better than the cheap repro ones which don't have the best reputation. My bikes have solid state regulators having despaired of repro regulators. Why not go wild and invest in a DVR 2 or similar. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 05.08. 2020 21:17 »
+1 for the DVR2, and it hides in the old Lucas box.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #24 on: 05.08. 2020 21:37 »
+1 for the DVR2, and it hides in the old Lucas box.
Cheers
Make that +2
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #25 on: 05.08. 2020 21:54 »
Make that +3
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #26 on: 05.08. 2020 22:20 »
+ me also

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #27 on: 06.08. 2020 04:30 »
I've got 2...   so  +5 & +6   
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 07.08. 2020 12:35 »
Hi , thanks for your help  ,  i am trying to avoid buying a new reg , perhaps i might have the same prob after and the fault is elsewhere  .  i have tried D to earth engine running and nothing happens the points close   as well  , then A to earth and still nothing .  if i go A to the base where the points are in the reg i get 10 v  more if i rev up .      tw  *conf* .  Swarfy  you said in your post about the horn being wired to the battery , when i put on the headlights it shows discharge on the ampmeter ,  but if i turn off the headlight,   press the horn and apply rear brake light it dont show anything on the meter it dont even flinch    you mentioned wiring i put a new loom on the bike when i did it up everything works normally except charging ..

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 07.08. 2020 17:12 »
TW  On a standard loom the horn and rear brake light are on their own little circuits. Get these two working to start with to prove the battery good and earth connections sound.

Test the dynamo with the F and D terminals bridged, and a 12 volt headlamp bulb from the bridge to earth. This should glow brightly as the engine speed increases.

Regulator wiring is simply D to D  F to F regulator to dynamo and E terminal on the regulator to a good earthing point on the frame. Terminal A is the controlled output, a test bulb from A to earth should shine brightly with engine running.  This is the same situation as running without a battery with the dynamo powering the lights. So a further test is that you get lights with no battery, engine running, indicating power is coming from the regulator.

One ammeter terminal goes straight to the battery. The other one has Terminal A connection and the lead to the switch.  Typical wiring diagram is Service Sheet 808A, this is a simple circuit. Other later circuits eg sheet 808F offer more refinement at greater complexity.   Reverse the connections if the ammeter shows a charge with engine off, lights on.

The ammeter only shows current flow to and from the battery. With no output from terminal A horn and brake light draw power from the battery. This circuit does not pass through the ammeter, so no reading. Lights draw battery power  through the ammeter. This shows a reading.
 With a fully charged battery and full electrical load the dynamo output should balance demand  at a reasonable road speed and the needle will hover around zero to +.

Lights off, flat battery, should give a good indicated charge with engine running.

Pay attention to the electrical connections on the regulator, the terminal sockets are notorious for being furred up and oxidised, they often need a good scrape out to ensure good electrical contact and conduction.

Swarfy.