Author Topic: Toasted regulator/dynamo query  (Read 602 times)

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Toasted regulator/dynamo query
« on: 01.08. 2020 20:52 »
Ok chaps, resist the temptation to abuse poor practice please.
When out and about tomorrow and if by chance my regulator fails and overcharging is indicated on the ammeter what is best practice?
May i simply disconnect the two feeds from the dynamo and make sure they cannot make a circuit?
Should i disconnect the dynamo drive?
In essence does the dynamo create a current at all times and if so is this a problem if there is no discharge somewhere?
Cheers
 *computer* *doubt* *beer* *dunno*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

beezermacc

Re: Toasted regulator/dynamo query
« Reply #1 on: 01.08. 2020 21:02 »
Provided you are running a magneto, yes, pull the wires out of the dynamo and disconnect the battery. This won't do the dynamo any harm.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.08. 2020 21:35 »
  Jim. Disconnecting just the battery will still give you headlight and rear light directly fed. Normal wiring means with no battery you lose horn and rear brake light. The voltage will be unregulated, so no heroics otherwise possible blown bulbs. Depends on your ride, daylight use simply disconnect dynamo connections, as suggested by BM. Battery will feed lights, brake light and horn as normal and all will work until battery exhausted.

Swarfy.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 11.10. 2020 23:47 »
smokin!!!!

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #4 on: 12.10. 2020 21:50 »
So, here's the update. As you can guess my DVR2 stopped regulating and charging was going up to 8 amps with a nice new battery. My quick fix is to disconnect the dynamo at the regulator and ensure those ends are insulated. I have kept the battery connected to give me a brake light and lights if i get caught in the dark. I then charge up the battery with my optimate charger when home. This seems to be working fine at mo. Will post elsewhere re cause of regulator failure (good earth, new replacement brake switch, new replacement dip switch). Will be changing the headlight switch at some point if/when i can be a...d!
Thank you Berger for highlighting the possibility of smoke issues! This elecktrickery keeps me busy trying not to think about it, who needs charging any blinking way!
 *bash* ::hh:: *countdown* *beer* *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 12.10. 2020 23:11 »
It's catching Big Jim, mine started overcharging tonight. :!

Luckily I have one of those Sparkbright LED volt meters, when it starts flashing red to green repeatedly you know what's happening. At least that saved me boiling the battery. *smiley4*
England N.W
1960 A10
England