Author Topic: new member first question  (Read 1551 times)

Offline 865

• A's Good Friend
Re: new member first question
« Reply #15 on: 16.04. 2021 10:15 »
Welcome Norbert
Great looking bike
WA

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 16.04. 2021 12:18 »
The ZA7S....numbers are in the registration certificate. The YA7.. numbers aren't visible in documents. Never mind at the moment.

However, Swarfcut, you told about, I should check the number of teeth on the rear sprocket. This was another very useful informaton. I counted 49 teeth. So, it is problem for me, I need a standard sprocket with 46 teeth, and a new chain. Maybe could you offer a helpful website to buy?

On the other hand, the first gear crunch a little bit.  But awful if I change from two to one.

So I must adjust to the clutch, but I feel a little clearence at the arm, not too big in my oppinion, maybe I must check the cluch springs pressure. 

I will not get bored.

49 LS A7

Online spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #17 on: 16.04. 2021 22:15 »
Hi Norbert. Welcome to BSA ownership.
Yes, in my opinion both the numbers on the crankcase are not by the factory, the casting surface and letter font and size all point towards a restamp for some reason. Unfortunately I cannot see the frame number stamping clearly enough to consider which, if either, is the original but it would not be correct to have a 'YA7' prefix as a plunger frame unless its the later 2 piece frame that has had a plunger rear section connected to a rigid front. Many inexplicable things happen to these bikes over the decades. Good luck
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: 18.04. 2021 09:01 »
So, it is problem for me, I need a standard sprocket with 46 teeth, and a new chain. Maybe could you offer a helpful website to buy?
In Austria, so not too far away from you.
https://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/en
Very correct people, dealt with them a couple of times.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 18.04. 2021 12:07 »
However, Swarfcut, you told about, I should check the number of teeth on the rear sprocket. This was another very useful informaton. I counted 49 teeth. So, it is problem for me, I need a standard sprocket with 46 teeth, and a new chain. Maybe could you offer a helpful website to buy?...
When I first owned my Golden Flash, in the 1970's, it still had the 49 tooth sidecar rear sprocket. It wasn't really a problem. I did once 'pull a wheely' when I let the clutch in too quickly! 😁
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #20 on: 18.04. 2021 15:20 »
I distinctly remember following a plunger Flash on sidecar gearing down the A74 towards the races at Silloth. Speed gradually rose until we were travelling at a steady 85 mph. Suddenly the Flash disappeared in a cloud of smoke than large pieces of shrapnel started flying over the road. When we all stopped at the side of the road, where the Flash had previously had an engine there was just the cylinder head dangling fron the head steadies. We never did find the crank.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 18.04. 2021 16:31 »
I distinctly remember following a plunger Flash on sidecar gearing down the A74 towards the races at Silloth. Speed gradually rose until we were travelling at a steady 85 mph. Suddenly the Flash disappeared in a cloud of smoke than large pieces of shrapnel started flying over the road. When we all stopped at the side of the road, where the Flash had previously had an engine there was just the cylinder head dangling fron the head steadies. We never did find the crank.
😳
Even on solo gearing I would not push my old girl past 70mph
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 24.04. 2021 12:06 »
Welcome Norbert and I hope your long stroke A7 gives you as much pleasure as mine has for me over the years. I was living in Hungary myself from 2011 to 2018 but now live just over the border in Croatia. I didn't use my BSA on the road in Hungary but sometimes rode it in my garden / field.

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 27.04. 2021 10:01 »
Hello Fido,

Thank you for the good wishes.
We live close to each other, just 150km away. I live in Bóly, near Pécs.

49 LS A7

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 10.03. 2022 12:13 »
Welcome back

I have often wondered why there are 2 sets of numbers on the frame and engine block.

Can you help me with this?

I would have to ask the BSA Owners Club for a dating certificate from Mr Steve Foden by letter, am I right?

But some things are not clear:

Does this request for information work for foreign owners?

Does this certificate include information on the equipment?
Does this certificate include, for example, whether the chrome petrol tank on my bike is correct?

Or can I find a sample certificate sheet somewhere, what does it contain?

Do I really have to ask for it by regular letter?

Where can I pay the GBP 15?

thanks for the info in advance

Norbert
49 LS A7

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 10.03. 2022 12:39 »
The certificate will show what the bike was made as, the date it left the factory and to where it was sent. Any other details will depend on what is recorded in the despatch record which could include the colour.

It will confirm whether or not the bike still has the factory fitted engine. If it does not it will show the model to which that engine was originally fitted and when it left the factory and to where it was sent

The record is just a single line in a ledger and does not include the full build data for the machine.

I will send you a personal message.