Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38426 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #196 on: 02.05. 2016 12:51 »
Looks great mate. You need to kick your passenger out further.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #197 on: 02.05. 2016 21:07 »
Looks great mate. You need to kick your passenger out further.
Cheers

Just members of the public... so didnt need to push them further out with my boot  *whistle* just rode to their efforts. They enjoyed themselves.

The SC box behaved. The  o ring mod in the  gear lever bush cured my leak on the left handers, no more unsightly burnt oil on the muffler  *yeah*  Oil swill is a unique to sidecars problem, goes with the fuel swill in the carbs which I havent cured but is only a problem when at "parade" speeds so  *whistle* 

A bit of hiatus coming up with winter. no more meetings until the spring (September). But no major work due on the rig at least so can focus on progressing the road bikes.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #198 on: 02.05. 2017 11:11 »
Its actually been a couple of years since Bender the A10 did any hard work under my watch although I did lend it out for a number of meetings. I won't go into the why that happened, but this last weekend I ran the bike out at Taupo for a 2 day meeting in pissing rain with my long time crewman Mark and we had a lot of fun splashing around very sideways.
I knew the bike was a bit tired and we had a number of minor breakages that need resolution as well the motor going off song and the box not being up to plan, quite often not finding top. So often lapping as a 3 speed.
So its time for a full strip and refresh: a new exhaust system, either repair or replace the seat and a six speed BSA TT industries box. Will post pics when it arrives but due in a month
Also reconsidering building a dustbin fairing to cut the drag and keep us competitive on the faster tracks, but that might be later. Might make some inquiries to the guy who straightens my petrol tanks.
It was great to see at least a dozen crews racing with more off under maintenance so should see easily see grids in mid/high teens on the track come spring
 *woo*

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #199 on: 03.05. 2017 08:59 »
and a six speed BSA TT industries box.

You obviously have far too much money
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #200 on: 03.05. 2017 09:56 »
and a six speed BSA TT industries box.

You obviously have far too much money

one of the two real shit things that happened last year was my dad dying, so spending a chunk of my estate share.
I still have plenty of debt, but am in a WTF mood. Life is too short. I hope he would approve
Anyone can find the money if they have the priority and don't mind giving up something else.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #201 on: 03.05. 2017 10:18 »
Hi Tim, wouldn't mind one of those boxes myself, are they the gearboxes made in Nelson, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #202 on: 03.05. 2017 11:00 »
Hi Tim, wouldn't mind one of those boxes myself, are they the gearboxes made in Nelson, cheers

Yes, a modern cassette selection box in a repro case. They have the same gearset running in a 90HP triple, so should be sufficient for a humble A10
Most of my competitors are running 5 speeds and with my 4 speed on the down changes theres a big load being dropped on the rods, however much I try not to and on the up changes there are big gaps between the gears; so my theory is I can knock it down one pretty much as soon as I roll off the throttle into a sweeper, and find a good compromise gear rather than having the choice of it revving hard or bogging. Its a plan and those boxes are in demand second hand. Yes they wont resell for the 6k NZD cost but will always be worth decent wedge.
I spent a decent part of the weekend unable to reel in a 5 speed 650 trumpet, but able to keep up, so with an engine freshen up and a fresh box reckon I'm back in the game.
http://www.ttindustries.com/bsa_gearbox.html
New Zealand

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #203 on: 08.05. 2017 11:30 »
Good to hear you so up beat and I'm sure the bike will uphold BSA tradition in the best possible way. By the way sorry to hear about your Father . regards Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #204 on: 08.05. 2017 22:37 »
Good to hear you so up beat and I'm sure the bike will uphold BSA tradition in the best possible way. By the way sorry to hear about your Father . regards Bob

Thanks Bob, my dad sadly died a fortnight after my wife, so last year was fairly brutal and a large part of why I hadnt raced for a couple of years.
This weekend I finally got my lathe set up after 5 months in the new house. So seem to finally be getting my head back into a better place for messing with BSA's. So have the '55 race bike and my '54 road rocket to rebuild over the winter.
SO things definitely brighter.
You've got to be an optimist to own BSA's  ;)
Tim
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #205 on: 08.05. 2017 22:46 »

Wow- sorry to hear all that Tim, all the BEST to you *good3*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #206 on: 08.05. 2017 23:05 »

Wow- sorry to hear all that Tim, all the BEST to you *good3*

Ditto. Sincere condolences for your losses.

Richard L.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #207 on: 08.05. 2017 23:33 »
Thanks guys, the banter on the site was a welcome distraction during a difficult period and we have a great group of people here.

Tim
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #208 on: 25.05. 2017 05:42 »
Well today was a special day, a parcel arrived from Nelson contain a brand spanking six speed  *yeah*
I've been pondering the distractions in the shed and now thinking two of the bikes will be sold hopefully before Christmas: my '72 Rocket three and Rusty my american trim Super Rocket.
This should allow me to focus on Bender my '55 race bike and the unmolested '54 road bike. Cannot possibly complain with a pair of special road rockets (and my trusty B33).
Hopefully the super rocket will offset the spend going into the race sidecar which quietly adds up  *eek*

New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #209 on: 25.05. 2017 10:13 »
G'day Tim.
Just make sure you short shift whenever you can to give the motor a rest. She won't like being at full boil ALL race. I have seen a lot of motors in pieces after a box change to more cogs.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7