Author Topic: Super rocket exhaust  (Read 7683 times)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Super rocket exhaust
« on: 30.12. 2009 17:30 »
Hi All

Hope everybody on the Forum had a good Christmas.

I have just bought a 1959 A10 Super Rocket which has been totally rebuilt. It has not been registered but came with a BSAOC dating certificate so I hired a van and took it for an MOT and it passed with no problems. I then went through the dreaded application with DVLA for an age related plate and they decided they wanted to view it so I hired a van again and took it to the local office so that DVLA could confirm that the bike actually existed. (Despite the fact that it had been MOTd the week before).
Christmas came and went and still no registration number when, joy of joys, I had a call from DVLA saying that they had found the original registration and it was still available so they were allocating that number and would send it shortly.

Now to the point of this question. As a celebration I decided to treat the bike to a pair of Goldie silencers. I researched what was available and decided on Britura made in England silencers. When they arrived, I thought ah - five minutes with a spanner and I can crank up and hear that superb exhaust note. No such luck - the silencers would not push on the pipes far enough without hitting the start of the internal baffle tube. The silencer bracket was about 1.5 inches rearwards of the footrest bracket. My immediate thought was to cut a piece off the end of the exhaust pipe but then the old standard style silencers would not have fitted if I wanted to put them back. The second solution would have been making a pair of brackets to extend the rear footrest mounting but that would have looked messy.
I eventually decided to buy a second set of pipes made by Britura in the mistaken assumption that if everything was made by the same manufacturer, there would be a good chance of it all fitting together OK.
The pipes were not even close - they were too big for the exhaust ports (alloy head) and I noticed that there were some thin steel shims bonded around the inside of the exhaust ports so I removed them and the pipes slid into the ports - not all the way but far enough. (Should I have removed these?)
When the pipes were in the exhaust ports the pipes were still too long and fitted worse than the originals.
I am wating for the distributer to return from their Christmas holidays on 4th Jan but I thought I would see if anybody had similar problems with Britura and could recommend a manufacturer and distributer of a goldie exhaust system for a Super Rocket that fits and has reasonable sound and chrome.

Thanks

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Super rocket exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 30.12. 2009 18:24 »
Hello Jim!

I've been searching for new exhaust pipes for my A10 for some time, and like you I also got a lot of crap (pipes that don't fit into the head, brackets off by an inch, not clear of primary case, and so on). A few weeks ago I received a set of exhaust pipes from Armours Ltd. in Bournemouth (http://web.mac.com/Armours/Armours/Home.html).
I must say the pipes are the best repros I have seen so far. The chrome is beautiful and they fitted almost perfectly. Thy are a snug fit in the head, I just had to bend the bracket on the left hand side for 2 or 3mm (unlike others, the chrome did NOT break and flake off!), and I think the price of 90 GBP for the pair is ok, too. The only downside is, that like all repros I have seen so far, they don't have the nice continuous bend with the two different radii of the original (and the Toga-made) pipes. There is a short straight segment between the smaller bend near the head and the larger one underneath. But I can live with that.
Unfortunately I don't know their silencers, but if the quality is the same, they should be ok. They also were very helpful and competent when I called them, and they told me I could send the pipes back for a refund, in case I weren't satisfied with them.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 30.12. 2009 18:58 »
Hi Markus

Thanks for the info. I have checked out Armours website and they do stainless too. Their range costs a little more than the Britura range but if they fit properly it is a small price to pay.
I will give them a call tomorrow as my only concern is that I am trying to fit goldie silencers istead of the standard shape and they are a bit longer than the standard silencers towards the front end - normally on the RGS there would be a single goldie fitted to a siamese system which I believe runs down the timing side. The timing side pipe is straight at the silencer end so it is possible to cut a bit off if necessary, however on the drive side there is a kink in the last bit of my existing pipe and the Britura pipe I have just bought. If I cut a section off that side then the exhaust clamp will fit over a curved section of pipe and it is difficult to tell how it will clamp up or leak by which time it is too late as you have cut the pipe.

It sounds as though you are having the same problems as me in finding pipes which fit - I wonder how these companies manage to stay in business selling stuff which does not even fit, let alone the crap plating.

Thanks again

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 30.12. 2009 19:09 »
Jim - You are right, the crap they are selling us seems to be a never ending source of frustration. Its not only exhaust systems, the story continues with sprockets, lights, badges, footrest rubbers, virtually every part. The best story I had were a set of cam followers, where one was made from stainless! Fortunately I had the set nitrogen hardened and saw that one of them didn't turn greyish, but had a shiny blue colour. With the help of a magnet I found out rather quickly what was the point. I don't want to imagine what would have happened if I had fitted them to the freshly rebuilt engine.  *eek*

If nothing else helps, you could drill the baffle tube in the silencer out  ;)
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 31.12. 2009 12:53 »
Hi Markus
I think that Armours are now closed until the end of the "silly season" so I will try them on Monday. I have looked at previous posts on the forum and it seems that apart from yourself, nobody has actually had exhaust parts from any manufacturer that they are totally pleased with. Some have had to resort to heating up the pipes to bend them to the correct shape and blueing the chrome in the process. Is it too much to expect that we should part with our hard earned cash and get parts which are useless or need to be adapted to fit, when they are sold as direct replacements. Please wake up all you manufacturers and realise that we would probably pay a premium for quality parts that fit straight from the box.
It would be a good idea to create a new section on the forum topics to give feedback from users about parts purchased, quality, service and ease of fitting etc. similar to the feedback arrangement on ebay. Only then would manufacturers be shamed into getting their act together. Every time a member buys a part then feedback could be posted on the forum - it would certainly save a lot of wasted time and money.
I have decided to fab some triangular metal brackets and adapt the Britura goldie silencers to my existing pipes so that I do not have to cut the pipes and clamp the exhaust to the curved section of pipe under the footrest (why is that double curve there at all - it does not seem necessary). It means that the silencers will project a bit further to the rear but it will allow me to slightly upsweep the silencers which looks nice. I can also refit the old silencers if I want to without any problems. The Britura pipes can go back if they will take them.
Off to the garage now to find some ally sheet to make a pair of templates and do a test fit. The final articles will be made from one eighth steel and sprayed black so they do not stand out too much - they will be partly hidden by the pillion footrests anyway.
Regards
Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.12. 2009 13:11 »
Just read an article that reckons 15% of British firms are returning to UK for manufacturing their products due to quality issues and transport costs with goods made elsewhere ( China springs to mind )
No idea how accurate this is as our media is sadly lacking on the quality front these days also, I have noticed a lot of call centres returning home these days though ( is that a good thing ?).
Getting back on subject sort of, I bought a new gearbox sprocket from someone on Ebay, it wasn't until I fitted it revealed it's faults, kept throwing the chain off, one tooth was machined a long way out of position, not easily seen with the naked eye.
Don't know if I can retrieve who I bought it off ( it was a while ago ), looks like Iit's scrap now though, I couldn't sell it on knowing it is wrong.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 31.12. 2009 14:27 »
I think we should pick up Jim's idea and create a database for parts, the manufacturer/supplier and the forum member's experience concerning the quality of the parts. There are a few suppliers that offer parts of decent quality, and I think they should be mentioned as well. We as the customers have the power to initiate a change, but therefore collecting information is vital.

Usually any kind of advertisement is not allowed in forums, but in fact this is just some kind of exchange of experiences.
Maybe the administrators can give a statement on this?
IMHO its definitely worth thinking about.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #7 on: 31.12. 2009 14:49 »
Have to say I also like Jim's idea for a Recommendations spot. A popular feature on one or two other forums/club sites/user groups, just have to be careful with negative remarks.

I was one guy who couldn't get a set of Armours' pipes to fit correctly on my A, although I've still got a twenty-plus yr old siamese set of theirs on another bike of another marque, which fitted perfectly, and a similar newer set on another, ditto. I don't know what the double kink in the left hand pipe is all about either, but it's presumably there for a good clearance-related reason which didn't seem to apply to mine! I've junked the twin-pipe set-up now and gone back to a siamese (whose?) using one pattern goldie (which liberated the other one for another bike and made the primary side a lot easier to get at again). Part of the parts hassle may be that a bike isn't really, in all respects, what it says on the tin. Hardly surprising after half a century odd, with probably a dubious 'restoration' thrown in somewhere down the line (before (of course!) it reached its current owner).

Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.12. 2009 17:53 »
I got into a bit of trouble a few months back with a recommendation, totally my fault though, but shows a need to be care

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #9 on: 31.12. 2009 20:51 »
The problem associated with recommendation is that not all experiences are the same. I had poor service and pipes that would not fit due to incorrect radius on the bends. It makes me mad as hell every time this company gets an editorial plug in the classic magazine road tests. I know from reading about other peoples experiences I am not alone in my dissatisfaction with the quality of the product. Equally there are those that share this companies bosses belief that he and his exhaust pipe company are God's gift to classic motorcycling. And therein lies the problem. One person can say supplier "X" is great. Then another person might have had a different experience but due to liable laws is not allowed to say so.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 01.01. 2010 00:11 »
I guess it shouldn't be a matter of recommending a specific firm or maligning another. It shouldn't be a problem to tell other people where you bought an item and how you in your personal opinion judge the quality and how easy or not fitting it was on your specific bike. Then everyone reading these field reports can make himself a picture, especially if the majority of them shows a certain direction.
What about freedom of expression, when you can't tell other people about your experience and your opinion on a specific product?
But maybe I'm wrong here and some people with more legal knowledge could judge this as defamation already?

I don't know, but actually imho individual and personal opinion always has to take priority over economic interests.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 01.01. 2010 00:48 »
i also think if a bike has been modified and they haven't told you then when you get
parts for a specific bike they wont fit because your bike has been altered in some way say its a gold flash and someone
has made it into a super rocket or a b31 into a gold star the mounting points may be different

dave

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #12 on: 01.01. 2010 10:38 »
What we need to bear in mind here Gents is that when making a public complaint on the forum about a company, the owner of the forum may be held responsible, and if he has to shut the forum down we could loose a great association with one another here, I don't think I could be happy anywhere else. By all means praise up the good companies but the bad ones... well I don't think there is a lot we can do?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 01.01. 2010 11:35 »
Hi everybody. Hope you had a good new year and not too many sore heads!

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

I still feel that it would be a useful addition to the forum if we could have a ?manufacturers showcase? section where we can share experiences regarding quality, ease of fitment etc. I realise that there could be issues with libel if defamatory remarks are made. This may depend on what country this forum is registered in as different laws will apply in different countries. This type of feedback is common on sites such as Amazon, ebay and product tests and reviews are common in car and bike mags where various products are lined up against each other and scored in various areas. In fact, ebay have recently introduced a new feedback system where I understand that Power Sellers are penalised in their advertising rates if their average feedback scores are too low. Any comments we give should relate to our personal experience and the particular part we are fitting with no generalisations. Comments should be specific and positive, ie suggestions on how the part could be improved.

Sometimes with lower priced faulty products it is easier to bin them and put it down to experience as life is too short, but it would be beneficial to fellow enthusiasts if we could share that experience so that others do not waste their hard earned money.

I know that if I ran a company I would be proud of that company and be committed to continual improvement and customer satisfaction as that is how a company grows ? through reputation and by recommendation. If I find a company which does not have that commitment I will not use them again.

In the UK all goods sold must be ?of merchantable quality? and ?fit for purpose?. The first criterion is sometimes subjective and could pertain to the styling, cosmetics, finish etc. which are difficult to quantify but could also apply to BS standards for safety. The second one is quite specific ? the goods should be fit for purpose. If an exhaust system is sold to fit a certain bike then it should fit straight from the box ? no bending, grinding or cutting. I would think that if that item was also paid for by credit card then more protection is given under the consumer credit act.

Is there anybody on the forum who has expert knowledge in libel and consumer law?

I know that we all run old bikes and that modifications may have been carried out by previous owners that we may be unaware of which may affect the fit of new parts. In this particular instance I am fairly sure that my bike is original as I have checked the frame and engine number through the BSAOC. I have also applied for a new age related plate but DVLA has found the original registration number from the frame and engine number and it all ties in to a 1959 bike.

It may be that as all manufacturers produce pipes in batches, there are variations. It is probably stored as a set of dimensions and bending radii which are used on a pipe bending machine and it may depend on who set up the machine that day and their skill in using it. Small variations in bend angles and springback of pipe after bending, differing thickness of pipe wall and type of material used will all probably have an effect on the finished article. I would doubt that a sample from each batch is actually tested on a bike to check the fit. This is where we, the end user come in. Any manufacturer worth their salt should value our feedback and not treat it as an irritation.

I will try and sum up the situation as I see it. An A10 RGS exhaust is siamese and runs down the timing side of the bike where there is plenty of room and has a single goldie silencer.
A10 SR models have twin pipes with the Burgess style silencers. The driveside pipe has an, it would appear, unnecessary double kink under the footrest.
Using standard silencers the double kink is not an issue but if twin goldies are fitted the it is, as the driveside pipe needs to be shortened as the kinks prevent the goldie being slid on the pipe enough to line up the rear mounting as the pipe ends up fouling the baffle. If the pipe is shortened then the clamp ends up on one of the kinks and will probably not seal correctly. The timing side pipe is ok as it is straight and slides in the goldie enough to line up with the rear mounting.

Purists may say that the SR should have the standard silencers and then there would not be a problem and they may have a point. I think that the goldie looks nicer but the manufacturers have not thought it through when they manufactured a left hand silencer for a twin pipe system. It seems that they have used the right hand goldie for a Siamese system and then made a left hand version assuming that it would all fit ok. What is needed is to weld the mounting bracket about 1.5 inches further forward to allow twin goldies on stock pipes. I will try to contact Britura and suggest that to them and update this post with any news.

In the meantime I will go ahead and make a couple of triangular brackets so that I can fit the goldies further towards the rear using my old stock pipes.

Ride safely

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 01.01. 2010 12:29 »
Hi LJ

What we need to bear in mind here Gents is that when making a public complaint on the forum about a company, the owner of the forum may be held responsible, and if he has to shut the forum down we could loose a great association with one another here, I don't think I could be happy anywhere else. By all means praise up the good companies but the bad ones... well I don't think there is a lot we can do?

Good point - we would not want to lose the forum. Perhaps we could have a new area on the forum called "Recommended Manufacturers" based on our own personal POSTIVE experiences. If anyone wants to know about manuafacturers not listed then a question could be posted and replies could come via private email.

I sent you a mail via your website but it may have ended up in your SPAM folder. I noticed that you have Goldies fitted on your red A10 and I was wondering whether you had any problems fitting them and where you bought them. Also whether you have the dreaded "double kink" in the driveside pipe down by the footrest mounting.

Regards

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL