Author Topic: Couple of easy questions (hard for me) thanks  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Couple of easy questions (hard for me) thanks
« on: 08.01. 2010 16:46 »
What is this used for (picture one) a threaded vertical pipe,screwed into the alu housing.I´ve just bought a new front brake cable and there is a threaded screw which goes into the lever housing,but there is no corresponding thread inside the housing ? either I have the wrong cable or there must be something missing inside the housing (but there is almost no room for a thread insert(picture 2) Should the break lever at the bottom freely move upwards ,mine seems almost locked (picture 3).Am missing some kind of cable holder in the hole which is in the clutch housing Black cable going through it(picture 4 ).Thanks for any info.
ho ho ho

Richard

Re: Couple of easy questions (hard for me) thanks
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2010 17:03 »
Steve
There are two types of lever the early type which you have and the later type to go with the cable you have, so wrong cable for brake lever.
The cable should be the same as the clutch cable at the lever end, it will have an adjuster which is slightly smaller in dia that will sit idside the lever, if memory serves me correct it will have a slot down its length to let you put the inner cable in it.
Also I beleive the same adjuster part should be screwed in at the gearbox have a look and see if there is a thread in the gearbox lug.
I cannot remember if there is an adjuster at the brake plate end but if there is it will come with the correct cable.
Richard

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.01. 2010 17:08 »

Ah Richard got to reply before me, agree with his reply realy

Picture 1, the threaded hole is for fixing the front part of a fully enclosed chain guard, if there is a threaded pipe in there my guess is a PO has had a pipe from the crankcase breather exit to the threaded pipe as a meams of lubricating the chain ( popular modification )
Picture 2. Some levers do have an internal thread (most I think) but it may well work ok as it is if you screw the nut on the cable adjuster up to the lever
Picture 3. not sure - the brake arm looks to be a bit past the optimum working angle but that is assuming it was at rest when you took the photo, might be your brake shoes are worn.
Picture 4. yes you should have an adjuster or a ferule, depends upon the boss that the cable comes through there are two types, one has a threaded hole if I remember right and also different size of hole, if you could measure the hole it would help as someone might have a slotted ferule rolling about their shed.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 08.01. 2010 17:17 »
Thanks Bill, I often wondered what the hole in the inner chain case was for.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 08.01. 2010 20:02 »
Ok,Thanks,the brake cable is maybe too long,even with optimum adjustment there is still too much free play,I think I might have to take the wheel off and look inside,(but not this weekend,too cold)ahh not quite sure how to proceed.Thanks anyway guys-steve
ho ho ho

Richard

« Reply #5 on: 08.01. 2010 22:23 »
Bill
I do not think the later cable will fit inside the early lever, the later type comes with the adjuster as part of the cable and cannot be removed, it also is larger diameter than the early adjuster which will fit the lever on Steves bike.
Steve if you look at the adjuster on your cable it has a nut/ring on the adjuster which has a cam like apperance this cam is also on the later lever and is so you can adjust the cable and the two parts of the cam align and stop it coming out of adjustment,the early type adjuster screws into the lever, which has a thread and and a lock ring which you tighten against the lever housing which then locks the adjustment.
If you send for the early cable from your supplier it will come correct for your bike and then you may not have a problem with the brake plate end.
As Bill says there are two types of clutch cable and if you look at the gearbox cable boss, if it is threaded then you want the  cable which  comes with a threaded adjuster if not you will need to obtain or make an ordinary cable ferrule.
Richard

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 09.01. 2010 00:27 »
1) Stand pipe in photo 1 is for the oil tank breather tube.

2) Have a look inside your lever here is yet another type that has 2 flat sides which takes a cable with no adjuster and the adjuster slips into he end of the lever anchor block and has a slot or the cable to run through.

3) If your brake lever moves that far before the shoes contact the drums then you need to have a good look at the brakes. Easy solution is to remove the brake lever and move it around one position. It should have a star shaped hole to fit on the square end of the cam. However you might need to pack out the brake shoes, fit thicker linings or build up the cam to get proper contact on the drum.

4) That cable should have a thin walled round adjuster as part of the cable, so you have the wrong one.
Also that clutch lever looks very much like it is bent inwards ( could also be an optical delusion ) but if it is you will need to ben it back out other wise it will be very  hard to get a sweet operation on the clutch. 
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 09.01. 2010 09:05 »
Hi,I have another 3 pictures to share,the brake lever and cable.On the clutch side it is basically the same principal.On the brake side it is impossible to shorten the cable(as is one piece),so ithere the cable is the wrong length or the brake disc lever should have a lot more spring it is(as the cable is too long for the 9 O Clock position and too short for the 6 o´clock) any info would save me time(spent 3 hours this morning at 5 am with Colemans lamp figuring it out(trying),cheers-steve
ho ho ho

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09.01. 2010 09:31 »
From what I can see on the pictures you have the version of the levers that don't use any adjuster (I can't see a thread in the anchor block, or am I wrong?). The cable just slips into the anchor block and the adjustment is done at the brake back plate.
I also bought ready-made cables for the A10 and yet had to modify most of them to fit by shortening either the cable or the mantle and soldering new fittings on. I use a special silver solder with a working temperature of 350°C for that.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline The General

• Southern Michigan USA
  • Moving Up
  • Yellow Jacket Beeza
« Reply #9 on: 09.01. 2010 09:45 »
Shouldn't the clutch cable run through the hole I have marked?
1962 Super Rocket

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 09.01. 2010 11:37 »
I've just seen that there is no stop for the cable inside the lever anchor (found the zoom  ;)), looks like it is the version with the cam-shaped nut Richard mentioned in post no.5. So you have the wrong cable for it.

I think this is what you will need:
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=11&id=4903&gesucht=true&suche=normal&suchstring=brake%20cable%20a10

Anyone can confirm by the part number?
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 09.01. 2010 12:44 »

Shouldn't the clutch cable run through the hole I have marked?[/color.]
Well spotted The General.  Yes does on both mine anyway,
certainly doesn't want to run on top of the chain as in pic, I have however run mine the same way  during a build to check clutch operation and pushrod length.

Off topic completely but if your Monica reflects your footy allegiance, I think your in with a good chance this year and as a Toon follower I would love to see it.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 10.01. 2010 04:34 »
Hi,not having too much luck with cables,I´ve just fitted the rear brake cable and no matter in what position I thread it through the frame,it looks to me far too long, ?
ho ho ho

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 10.01. 2010 07:53 »
yep, looks a bit too long. Like I mentioned before: many ready-made cables don't really fit. We had this discussion about pattern parts recently. Since I had to change most of the cables I bought, I make them myself now.

It looks like you mounted the threaded adjuster at the rear brake plate the wrong way. Usually the knurled nut is located on the same side of the threaded holder as the knurled knob on the adjuster. The way you mounted it the nut can't act as a coutnernut to prevent the adjuster from screwing itself further into the holder, slackening the brake.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 10.01. 2010 13:33 »
Hallo MG,thanks for the info,The front cable that you showed me in the link looks exactly like mine(although might be shorter).What can I do,just send the cables back and ask for shorter ones,I did specify the year and make of bike so the seller firm should know the right cables to send or ??? any other advice ?,cheers
ho ho ho