Author Topic: Advise on set of adjustable reamers  (Read 2511 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Advise on set of adjustable reamers
« on: 19.01. 2010 10:05 »
Hello Folks!

I'm going to get myself a set of adjustable reamers, but many I've seen advertised only go up to 15/32'' - this seem to little? I want to renew all the gearbox bushes, and need to be able to sort the largest ones here.

Regards, Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Advise on set of adjustable reamers
« Reply #1 on: 19.01. 2010 11:36 »
Adjustable reamers are available in sizes up to several inches in diam.
However, the price can increase expotentially with size (as the actress said to the bishop!).

The layshaft bushing in the gearbox casing (below the main ball bearing) is blind, so an adjustable reamer won't do the job.

The other bushing can be reamed.

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 19.01. 2010 11:48 »
Hi Otto,
I got some adjustable sets from www.rdgtools.co.uk a while ago.
They sell quite inexpensive sets from 1/4in upwards. The middle sized set goes to 1 3/16th", the big set goes from 1 1/16th" to 2 7/32". They can't be expected to compare with the sort of top-grade tooling you'd find in a good professional shop though. I used mine for gearbox bushings too, and was happy with the result (given that the shafts themselves weren't 'as new'). Certainly got close to correct, eliminated wobble and in a couple of cases made it possible to keep oil on the inside. I've also used them for several small end bushes, again perfectly satisfactorily. However, they won't do blind bushes. (As Richard said just this second I saw when i pressed the button!)
Others may have better suggestions?
Bill

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.01. 2010 13:27 »
I bought a set from RDG like Groily. they did the job fine and probably cost less than getting the job done in our local engineering shop.
While the quality might not be good enough for anyone that uses them a lot or for their occupation they are good enough for my occasional use.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #4 on: 19.01. 2010 14:11 »
Thanks folks!

You don't happen to know the diameter of the constant mesh gear bush 67-3073? I guess this is the largest one. I might have to get the two smallest sets of reamers, and as you, I don't expect professional quality at this price.

Cheers, Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 22.01. 2010 20:01 »
Out of interest, does anyone know how a blind bush is reamed to size?

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 22.01. 2010 22:22 »
A fixed size reamer will do a pretty good job, as the flute edges on the cutter extend all the way to the end of the tool.

They are a fixed size however (5/8", 21/32", 1" etc).

Richard

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 22.01. 2010 22:23 »
Out of interest, does anyone know how a blind bush is reamed to size?

A blind bush is often reamed using a "machine reamer".This is a reamer with no taper lead-in on the cutting part (unlike a hand reamer)and usually (but not always) has a morse taper so that it can be inserted into the spindle of a mill or drill or lathe tailstock.
    Because it is parallel for the length of its cutting blades it produces the desired result.Reamers can be purchased in any size you require but you will have to pay a lot more to have one specially made to a non-standard size.
 So if you wish to ream out a blind bush in a crankcase or similar you can do it if you have a correct sized m/c reamer and a pillar or bench drill (that you know drills truly square to the work) .You may wish to revolve the drill spindle by hand for this.
  Another way is to use a "D" bit which is a simple (often home-made) type of reamer usually made from silver steel or drill rod.
  If i had to finish a blind bush and lacked any sort of reamer i would (and have on many occasions) scrape it to size using a 3 cornered scraper or bearing scraper and engineers blue on the shaft to be fitted.
 When I was a machine toolmaker apprentice a few years ago now, the old fitters there would have a block of wood with their reamers stored standing vertical in it.But they would have 4,5 or maybe 6 reamers of each diameter . They would be arranged in order of the amount they were worn.With maybe 2-3 thou difference between the newest and oldest .
  So if you required a dowel or pin to be a tight fit you would use the first reamer. if you wanted a light tap fit, you would work your way up to the middle one and if you wanted an easy fit you would use the newest and sharpest one.I was also taught how to make an undersize reamer cut a bigger hole and make an oversize reamer cut a smaller hole.

Mike

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 23.01. 2010 11:06 »
Just to be different.
I only buy the tool that I need rather than a set where you only ever use 2 out of 6 and in no time flat those two are worn out.
If you buy them seperately then you can afford to pay a little more to get a quality tool that actually will cut some thing harder than congealed milk.
Avoid any thing that is made in India , Brazil or China, even if it has a brand name on it of a well known tool company. If it is made off shore then it is only done to cut costs ( ie made cheaper) and with tooling there is no such thing as a good cheap tool.
Some of the more expensive brands will have replaceable blades ( note you must replace all of them at the same time) and while dearer to buy will last forever ( buy a couple of blade sets with the tools as it may get deleated from the catalogue latter on).
I inherited most of mine from my grandfather.
If you don't use them regularly then store them in a wooden case after applying liberal coating of oil. Do not store them in steel or plastic.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Bender

• Moving Up
  • 1951 A7 Plunger - South West, Western Australia
« Reply #9 on: 23.01. 2010 14:22 »

I would say just buy the size reamer you are after, and buy a QUALITY one, if you intend using it more than a couple of times.

I bought 3 boxes of different size ranged ones from RDG. Some were o.k. but the one i used most, (To ream king pin bushes on a friends sprint car. Also had to buy a guide), didn't cut very well.  It was slightly wider at the tip. 
I guess that's what you get when you buy anything from China.   

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #10 on: 23.01. 2010 14:46 »
Thanks folks!

I think I'll take my chances with the set from RDG, as I'll probably only need them for this gearbox rebuild, and maybe the timing gears at some point. Have borrowed a pro one from a neighbour once, which worked ever so well, but as he has a pro workshop I'll not abuse this connection. When you have a garage, I guess you can make a lot of friends amongst bike owners very quickly.

Regards;
Otto in Denmark

Offline jimmy

• Moving Up
  • Jim Victoria Oz
« Reply #11 on: 01.02. 2010 02:45 »
G`day all,
  I have just rebushed my gearbox and I thought I`d add my two bobs worth. I made my lay shaft bushes from bronze hollow bar which made it easier to ream the bushes and then made a aluminium plug to seal the end of the box. The standard length reamer guide would not go through the box so I had to put tapered guide bit inside the box to line up the reamer, a bit fiddley but it worked well. The imput shaft bearings I bored and finish reamed in the lathe, and for good measure I turned down the clutch throw shaft a smidgen and bushed the hole in the case, new ball bearings and it has gone together nicely.

regards Jim
1961 Shooting Star on the road   1951 Golden Flash on the bench