Author Topic: stainless steel wheel rims  (Read 7492 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Re: stainless steel wheel rims
« Reply #30 on: 10.06. 2011 11:27 »
I think some of the cheaper parts do serve a purpose for some owners who use their bikes purely for weekend use. It enables those with a limited budget like myself to have a fuctional bike and enjoy the pleasure of having an A10 on the road. I don't skimp on safety related items or engine parts, but I have had to resort to buying less than best quality parts to get my bike to a usable condition.

I bought my bike back form India and I have being slowly trying to put right all the years of bodging and replacing the handmade parts that kept the thing going, I have found the costs are huge. I cannot afford SRM engine rebulids and £500 wheel rebuilds (I wish I could!) So I think for a lot of owners it is a case of comprimise on price/quality to keep their bikes on the road. I fully understand the benefit of buying the best quality, but if you don't have the money there is not much you can do.
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 10.06. 2011 12:33 »

Point taken Trevor, I'm of course looking from a UK perspective.

For the last fifty years I and others have walked with/without pet dogs around the fields of the farms we live and work on, now the new owners have said they wont allow this, they are within their rights to do so, but will be making enemies from potential friends (friends they might need to get the planning permission to modify farm buildings into houses ).
I attended a public Parish council meeting to discuss the passing of this planning application, none of the councillors declared any commercial interest although I know two definitely do have.

Struggling to make any connection with this to stainless wheel rims, so I better apologise, although you know what goes around comes around *roll*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 06.07. 2019 11:03 »
Personally I have no particular loyalty to country of manufacture except as it applies to the original parts. After market parts are a necessity if you live as far from source as those of us in NZ do and to be perfectly frank some of the stuff coming out of China and India isn't that bad. However, having recently ditched the Spanish Akront rims on my Super Rocket for a number of reasons, mostly looks but also a rather pronounced lump at the weld point. I ended up buying stainless rims from a NZ based supplier. Got two rims one a perfect fit and the other with the wrong dimple and drilling pattern. They have more coming I'm assured but its a sad sight seeing the machine in the shed polished to within a inch of its existence but with no back wheel! Not sure of the origin of these rims but the finish was so so but came up well on the buff with some green lime, trued up a treat with the only obvious downside being a pinch point in the width of the rim on the join. I'd have loved to get some original Jones rims but second hand they would have cost me a bit and chroming on top would have made them at least double the cost of the stainless ones. Do wish the second one would arrive soon though :(

NZ

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 06.07. 2019 14:19 »
Here is an article written the BSA Star magazine in September 2012 about  Stainless Steel rims
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 06.07. 2019 23:27 »
Interesting! There are clearly a host of issues with a change in metallurgy. I shall keep an eye on spoke tensions.
NZ

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 07.07. 2019 02:59 »

My front wheel bent when a concrete aggi drove over it..... *eek*

Also worth keeping a few spare spokes on hand for when those carefully placed precast potholes get in the way  *rant*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 07.07. 2019 06:02 »
Since my last response, I’ve purchased stainless rims, spokes and nipples from Devon Rim Company back in 2016, with Brexit the US $ to UK £ exchange rate was at an all time low, really happy with the fit, finish and quality.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #37 on: 07.07. 2019 06:24 »
I've had Devon stainless rims on my Star Twin for many years now. They are excellent.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Craig

• Moving Up
« Reply #38 on: 10.07. 2019 04:44 »
Timely topic and thought I would share with you for FYI.

Purchased CWC stainless rim for the back wheel of 1960 Super Rocket. Cost £83.33
(also purchased set of stainless spokes £62.13)

Rim arrived on weekend and have now done up lacing. See the attached 2 images showing the variation in the width of the rim straight out of the box. I would say that is not very good quality

Last year I sent my A7 front hub to CWC and wanted them to do the rebuild for me. They lost the wheel - whole thing when it was finished was packaged and sent off to another customer in export shipment. Had to wait another 3 months for them to find new hub, skin the drum, powder coat it and then redo the wheel build. To be fair they did replace the whole thing and there is no issue with quality so far (done about 1,000 km since)

Think after this Super Rocket build is finished I may be looking elsewhere for rim supplier.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #39 on: 10.07. 2019 06:41 »
G'day Craig.
I know that CWC has left a bad taste in your mouth but half a mm (20 thou) isn't too bad in my book. That's only 10 thou a side.
My man concern with rims is the join (can be one or two mm) and the nipple holes pointing in the right angle. If their out I'd jump.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 10.07. 2019 07:10 »
I ended up buying stainless rims from a NZ based supplier.
Who did you get them through?
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 10.07. 2019 10:44 »

I forgot to say that I also bought my rims from CWC and yes there is a width variation at the join but I don't notice it at all when I'm riding, the wheels just go 'round and 'round (could be a song in that *conf2*)- and yes I do know it's not perfect but also only remember when someone brings it up.......
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 10.07. 2019 11:32 »
yes there is a width variation at the join

yes same with mine duTch, but I'd rather have a bump than a weld that is invisible and to my mind not as safe (that's
not really logical and I'm pretty sure someones is gonna tell me different~)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 10.07. 2019 13:59 »
I had my stainless wheels built at CWC and they are narrower at the weld, I was told by CWC that this is normal. MMMMMM
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 10.07. 2019 16:31 »
Hi Craig,
Of more importance than the width difference, it looks like some spokes ends look a bit proud of the nipples ???
The join weld does where I can see where the ends meet does not inspire confidence  *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)